Chance Me at Notre Dame and others (current junior)

I’ve just started taking prep for the ACT and I’m on track to get straight As this semester and I think I’ll be able to get straight As senior year too. My UW gpa will jump after first semester senior year which i think should help my chances a bit as well. As for service hours I’m sure I can find something else to work on that I’m passionate about. As for leadership seminars, I had a great rec letter and as told by several people, great essays. I’m not very confident I will get in though because I’ve been told that ND focuses on accepting those who aren’t in as great of an economic position/minorities. Would you mind sharing the stats of your accepted kids? If not I totally understand and thank you so much

Ok thank you! Do you know if 10 AP classes and 10 honors classes (as rigorous of a course load as possible in my school) be considered enough rigor for ND?

1 Like

My son had great grades and submitted his ACT superscore, which was a 35. I think your course load is great…ND will know what your specific school offers. Just keep working hard…that’ll benefit you whether you end up at ND or not. I’m rooting for you.

Just want to re-iterate that the admission rate is really low and as some of the posters here have suggested: do not fall in love with highly selective school(s). Find some schools that you find interesting and you will be excited. If you haven’t, please read Applying Sideways blog

Frankly, no one knows what in the AOs mind - there is a luck factor or I should say there is a “higher power” deciding what your options are. You can work on your grades and rigor but you can’t control how AOs look at your EC and read your essay(s). I personally know someone who got accepted through EA at ND this year. The student had a very strong rigor (dual enrollment, AP scholar with distinction), excellent grades, but didn’t attend ND’s Summer program, not a legacy, good volunteer activities (not flashy but it fits well with what the student has been doing) and just did couple of ECs - not tons of ECs but consistent.

There are also other considerations, that maybe schools want to make sure they have enough diversity (background, geographics, experience, volunteering activities, ECs, etc - you name it). No one knows how you fit into the big picture. Even if you ask your brothers at ND, I don’t think they can be 100% sure what get them into ND.

You should apply but you should also concentrate on being the best that you can be. Don’t concentrate on being the perfect candidate that you think ND want you to be because no one knows. Also keep on exploring other schools. Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’ll check out the blog you suggested.

Thank you so much for your helpful advice

1 Like

That’s a question for your guidance counselor - but in how you describe it then yes.

If you’re applying REA, your first semester grades won’t count. If you apply RD, I’m not sure - it doesn’t show on the Q&A if they’ll want first semester grades but likely will say so in thei common app.

You’re putting way too much pressure on yourself for one specific school. Don’t do that. Really. It’s not good. Notre Dame is one of hundreds, if not more, fine schools in America.

I work with some alumni. They have solid jobs like me but nothing specactular. It’s a great school but not necessarily a panacea for success. You’ll be successful because of you - not because of UND.

good luck.

Thank you so much I really appreciate it

You come across as very sincere and dedicated, traits that will serve you well in life. As others have mentioned, Notre Dame is an extremely difficult admit. You certainly have a chance at acceptance (and a better chance than Rudy did), but the odds are not in your favor. As others have said, I would make sure you apply to some schools with higher chances of admissions where you would be happy to attend.

Some other schools that you may want to consider include:

• Xavier (OH)
  • U. of Dayton (OH)
  • Marquette (WI)
  • Fairfield (CT)
  • Creighton (NE)
  • Fordham (NY)
3 Likes

It’s rigorous enough but it’s not going to be the catalyst that has them accept you. My Childs GPA and class rigor is hangs down higher then I’ll say 90% of the admits. He wasn’t asked to apply for the Notre Dame Scholars program. GPA above 5.0 out of 4.0 and math & computer science galore…Differential Equations. Im assuming the’yre rejecting him. It’s a merit based scholarship program that asked the top students they’ve admitted to apply.

1 Like

But they don’t pick based on solely academics. Also leadership and service to their communities.

Too many think their kids are shoe ins - and unless it’s auto merit, they aren’t. They’re so many strong kids out there. And again this is not solely an academic program. They will likely have winners with lesser rigor etc. but that they deem stronger overall.

Doesn’t mean your kid isn’t a stud. But he may not be the kind of stud that rose to what they want in the program.

Best of luck to him.

He has done alot of work in the community. I understand thou.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.