Chance Me! ED @ Northwestern University

Demographics

• US Citizen*
  • State/Location of residency: Chicago, IL
  • Type of high school*: Dual-degree, public, school doesn’t send students to top schools at all.
    Gender/Race/Ethnicity: Female
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.): First-gen, household BELOW POVERTY-LINE, 7 people in household = less than 25k/year income combined.

Intended Major(s)
Biological Sciences, Cell/Molecular Biology, Bioengineering

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.84
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 5.01
  • College GPA*: 4.0, 24 college courses taken by next June
  • Class Rank: 5/54 (UNWEIGHTED)
  • ACT/SAT Scores: test-optional…

Coursework
AP’s: AP World History, AP Physics 1: Algebra-Based, AP Calc AB, AP English Language, AP Psychology, AP United States History, AP 2D Art
University courses: 24 total by next June

IMPORTANT: I WILL BE GRADUATING WITH BOTH A HS DIPLOMA AND AN ASSOCIATES DEGREE IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, AT NO COST.

Awards

• Full-ride scholarship to DeVry University for 2-year degree (at 15 years old)
  • Special Recognition for college-level physics (school level, 1 person awarded)
  • Second Place, Chicago Math Competition (all CPS schools), ICTM qualifier
  • High Honor Roll all semesters
  • Future Engineer Award at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for Engineering Program

Extracurriculars

• Cancer Research, Northwestern University, Department of Biomedical Engineering;:
    Research & present the role of SMC2 protein in chromatin structure and its impact in colon carcinoma cells using CRISPR technology and chemotherapy.

• Summer after 11th grade, 40 hrs+/week, 9 weeks
  • Vice President, 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization:: Founded to advocate and create opportunities within healthcare. Help facilitate mentoring and research departments in America and across

• 11th and 12th grade, 13 hrs/week, 52 weeks
  • Shadowee/Intern, Orthodontics practice::
    Shadow Dr. with providing patients with diagnosis and treatment options. Supervise dental/insurance calls from patients.

• 12th grade, 12 hrs/week, 25 weeks
  • Software and Computer-Aided Designing Leader, Robotics::
    Translate conceptual ideas into functioning robotic prototype; bridge the gap between software and hardware, fostering a holistic approach to robotics

• 9th grade - 12th grade, 3 hrs/week, 36 weeks
  • Research Intern::
    Research gentrification, lack of accessibility in healthcare; Propose a long-term solution meant to address/advocate for Chicago citizens.

• 11th and 12th grade, 7 hrs/week, 36 weeks
  • Biology/Chemistry Teacher Assistant::
    Aid science lessons, labs, and campus events for 100 students; collaborate closely with program leaders for student support before/after highschool.

• 12th grade, 8 hrs/week, 15 weeks
  • Competitor - Extensive Geometry, Trigonometry::
    Compete in math quarter-based competitions; ranked #2 in division B (20 schools) for Freshman/Sophomore year; led Algebra I team.

• 9th and 10th grade (I transferred, unable to participate after), 4 hrs/week, 35 weeks
  • Student, Medicine Discovery Program::
    Explore specialities of medicine, work with models to demonstrate real-world applications of medicine.

• 11th and 12th grade, 4 hrs/week, 8 weeks
  • STEM Engineering Intern, University of Illinois at Chicago::
    Innovate robotic system to help ensure cleanliness of campus; 8 out of 60 chosen students to advance in summer-long internship, in-person.

• Summer after 10th, 35 hrs/week, 12 weeks
  • Research Intern,::
    Explore medical disciplines (neurology, cardiology, etc.), integrating engineering for hospital enhancements; present findings.

• 9th and 10th grade, 20 hrs/week, 25 weeks

Essays/LORs/Other
Essay has been reviewed by 10+ people, including AP English teachers, English Professors, and others. Mostly described as emotional but also powerful, if you would like to read my essay, lmk!

Cost Constraints / Budget
Because I’m below poverty-line, I need as much aid as I can get :(( I am willing to put in work and pay up to $5-10k per year for my education… if needed.

Schools

• Safety: UIC (looking into GPPA program), Loyola University, DePaul University (I am eligible for scholarships up to $35k/year renewable),
  • Match: [UIUC], [UW-Madison]
  • Reach: Northwestern(EARLY DECISION I), UChicago(EARLY DECISION II), Rice university, CalTech,UT Austin]

I am still growing my list :))

Any feedback would be appreciated! Northwestern is my dream school, and I hope I can attend next fall, we’ll see!

If I missed anything, apologies! Let me know and I’ll clarify anything in the comment threads below!!

I was pretty impressed with your ECs until I reached this…A dentist let you provide patients with diagnosis and treatment options? This is either an exaggeration on your part or…super sketchy on the dentist’s part. Either way, I would think twice before including this claim on your application.

1 Like

Good catch, I should reword that - how I work with her is through shadowing and interning but I do have the ability to interact with patients in her presence, so during pediatric visits with patients we regularly see, I am able to use knowledge based on prior visits and able to discuss that with Dr. I obviously am not providing treatment options and should reword that, but I am able to interact throughout the treatment/diagnosis process/visits.

Any ways I can improve phrasing?

So how will you afford Depaul - assuming you can only get $35K a year.

You should apply to meets need schools (after reviewing the NPC), UIUC under the Illinois Commitment program, and I’m wondering about Questbridge.

I don’t know how the associates would be seen by those schools - nor by Northwestern. You might check with an admissions counselor because some schools don’t want to bring in a freshman with two years of classes or won’t give credit for said classes. I don’t know how Northwestern would view your situation (or Rice,e tc.)>

No clue why Madison is on the list or UT Austin - those clearly can’t be afforded.

Good luck to you.

PS - here is your original post - with more responses.

Chance Me (ED @Northwestern Univ) - 20k Income Per Year! - Chance Me / Match Me! - College Confidential Forums

My main suggestion is to be very accurate about what your responsibilities actually were. How did you interact with patients? Help explain what to expect? Or welcome them to the office? Or answer questions? Whatever it was, that’s what you describe.

2 Likes

But you are not treating or giving patient consultation/care - which would not be legal I’m sure.

1 Like

No definitely not. It’s just a discussion between myself and Dr, it is in no way influencing the treatment plan.

2 Likes

My last post has been updated significantly through this post, but as far as DePaul, I am unsure but applying to see.

My AS courses are reflected onto my HS transcripts, so I won’t be able to remove that either way. I am applying as a first-year student as well, and I actually sent NU an email regarding credit transfer; depending on the courses, my creds are able to be transferred (hopefully)

You might have meant shadow the Dr who is providing patients with… but your words above may have been mis interpreted.

What do you mean “supervise” calls from patients.

I’m more concerned with - a) how you’re going to pay b) how elite private schools will handle your AA

Best of luck

1 Like

[quote=“tsbna44, post:9, topic:3645771”]
You might have meant shadow the Dr who is providing patients with… but your words above may have been mis interpreted.

I see. Thank you for letting me know.

As far as supervise, I’ve been receiving/answering calls, whether that’s about discussion about PPO insurance coverage, etc, which I received training on. I do this solely depending on the days I come (usually 2-3 Saturdays a month)

Thank you for your comment!

So did you end up pursuing Questbridge?

My suspicion is that Questbridge would be the easiest avenue to a full-ride at a selective private school.

I think many in-state public universities would give you substantial credit for your AA courses (and the selective private schools would not). So you would be able to graduate more quickly. I think you would likely qualify for need-based institutional scholarships. So I would be inclined to focus on Illinois public universities or any other public universities that offer Illinois residents in-state tuition. If UW Madison doesn’t offer in-state tuition, for example, I would drop it.

Are you pursuing any outside scholarships?

3 Likes

I’ve applied to Bryan Cameron’s scholarship, The Gates Scholarship, Rhea Foundation’s Women’s Only Scholarship, and currently researching more!

You’re right about UW-Madison – and I’m not worried about graduating early or my credits being accepted, although it would be nice, I just had the opportunity to earn my degree which would help me with working after highschool, if possible.

I am worried about applying through QB NCM, would my chances be even lower than ED through Northwestern? Not sure, but after attending 3 different NU tours and financial aid meetings through zoom, I learned that 97% of students who come from households earning under $30k/year earn an average financial package of $74k/year. My school has not taught me about the basics of financial aid, and I am unable to receive help from teachers or people I know… which is why I’m very oblivious when it comes to this

My understanding is that Questbridge is usually the BEST path to admission, but I am not an expert, so I defer to others here.

2 Likes

To OP - sorry about that…

I would say so (better odds, like @cma22 says) - but not knowing how the AA works with the privates.

The way I see it is - NU is great - but frankly, on an income level like you have, any free college would be UNREAL - so even if it’s Denison or UVA or USC or Carleton - there’s so many schools - if you’re able to match to one, you’re going free - and that’s awesome. All these schools want kids like you - so if you can get your app done in time, I’d say it’s a no brainer - even for NU.

Many students in our state (WA) graduate with their AA degrees as part of a dual-enrollment program and, at least here, I believe they are treated like any other first-year applicant with dual enrollment credits.

I agree - but I worry about the privates not accepting some or all, like happens with some DE or AP.

Mainly I’m just suggesting OP check with those schools to see how they’d handle.

With a limited budget, if admitted to UIUC, tuition would be free - but not room and board. Or maybe the student can live home and go to UIC. Or maybe they get matched on QB which seems a great way to go - but perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.

While kids have a set list, with QB, knowing it’s a full ride, I"d personally “expand” my list…

1 Like

UIUC would be completely free for this student through the Illinois Promise program. This includes tuition, room and board, and books.

Oh, I misread. That’s awesome.

Closing temporarily for cleanup. I doubt the orthodontist wants her name or the name of her practice listed on this site.

As this will require extensive editing, and it’s Sunday, this thread will be closed until I have the chance to accomplish the tasks

1 Like