Chance-Me: Female STEM+soccer [CT resident, 3.9/1380 for Econ, Finance or Business <$40K]

Demographics
US citizen
Connecticut
Public Hs, rated A by Niche, very large size
Female, white
Athlete but planning for club in college not Div1

Intended Major(s)
Econ or finance or business

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores
UW: 3.9 W:4.92 now, 5.2+ post graduation (cumulative system, .05 bonus for honors and .07 for AP. 11 AP courses and rest are all honors aside from gym/health/required electives)

• Class Rank:
    We don’t rank. But we have bands. About 10 kids in school in band above mine, of 600 kids.

• ACT/SAT Scores:
    Only took once, first take was 1380, prepping for additional takes. Targeting 1450

Coursework
11 AP including calc b/c, comp scix2 , human geo, Lang, enviro, econ micro/macro, bio, Chem
Honors Latin for language
Rigor increased with each year
One B+ as soph, rest all A- to A+

Awards

• RIT Women in STEM award (one per HS) for excellence in Science, Tech and Math
  • Indiana Kelley School of Business Women’s Institute Selectee (non pay, application)
  • NHS, Latin Honors, Math Honors Societies
  • Co-Captain JV soccer team

Extracurriculars

• Many years of premier (regional, not travel) soccer clubs. Ages 8-17. This was a huge time commitment and year round so primary EC
  • High School soccer (was named co-captain for a season)
  • Job: Dog Grooming Salon, Groomer/Bather
  • Geography Club, and helped run a middle school geography competition
  • Tutoring (not sure worth mentioning?)
  • Top Soccer (program for helping younger kids with disabilities play organized soccer), volunteer

Essays/LORs/Other
Not sure how people answer this. Everyone thinks they have strong essays and LOR? Our school allows you to get 2 LOR. I’m not poor, not a minority, didn’t have a family tragedy. So it doesn’t easy to come up with topic. Stuck between one on how small actions can have large impact, or, one that talks about my resilience, with both school and grades, and where I fought through things including a major ankle surgery to come back and play soccer after missing an entire year.

Cost Constraints / Budget
Parents can afford about 35-40k per year. And we are all open to loans beyond that if the school and ROI is worth it.

Schools

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)

Indiana Kelley School of Business (qualify for auto admit with gpa/sat)
Virginia Tech
One more TBD

• Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)

• Match

Wisconsin
U Florida
Villanova
Miami

• Reach
    UCLA
    UC Berkeley
    Michigan
    Notre Dame
    USC
    Cornell
    UNC
    Boston College
    Northeastern
    Boston U

Hi! You sound a lot like my daughter, also a STEM/business-oriented high school athlete.

She was advised NOT to write an essay about coming back from adversity in sports because it is so overdone. It’s hard to sound unique. You want your essay to say something that reveals who YOU are in a way that isn’t something that could be assumed from the rest of your application. So if you write about small things making a big impact — make sure you are saying something about who you are as a person, how you have learned and grown, what has shaped you. Or pick a topic that does.

Regarding your list, eliminate the University of California schools. They will not come in under $65,000 or $70,000 per year for an out-of-state student, even with their largest merit awards. My daughter was admitted to some but ultimately ruled them out due to cost.

Have you investigated the cost of your other options by using the Net Price Calculator on each school’s website? Plus looking to see what merit scholarships are routinely awarded?

If it makes the budget, Indiana seems like a great choice with a great business school. As more of a target, you might look at Syracuse (although it also may be too expensive).

Best wishes!

3 Likes

Also, why not U Conn as another likely? It us hard to beat in-state tuition.

2 Likes

I don’t think your matches are really matches, they are more like low reaches. Wisconsin and Florida are difficult oos admits. Generally you need more 30 plus acceptance rate school on your list. What about somewhere like University of Denver that is generous with merit? If you like Florida, what about Florida State where I think there is an option to qualify for in state tuition with high stats?

Closing thread. Either 2 people are sharing the account or the parent is posing as the child. Neither is allowed. If the student wants to post, they need their own account

1 Like