Chance me for aerospace engineering (avg GPA, good ECs and SAT) [VA resident, ~3.7 GPA, 1500 SAT (1530 super)]

Demographics

• US domestic
  • State/Location of residency: VA
  • Type of high school (current college for transfers): Large public
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional): female, white
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.): none

Intended Major(s): aerospace or mechanical engineering

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: ~ 3.7 (estimate, school does not provide)
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.256
  • College GPA (for transfers): n/a
  • Class Rank: n/a (school does not provide)
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1530 superscore, 1500 single-test (760 highest math, 770 highest english)

Coursework
Past:

• AP CS A (4)
  • AP World History (5)
  • AP Physics 1 (4)
  • AP Physics C: M (4)
  • AP Physics C: E&M (4)
  • AP Capstone Seminar (5)
  • AP Lang (5)
  • APUSH (5)
  • AP Calc BC (4)
  • AP Lit
  • AP Chem
  • AP US/Comp Gov
  • Multivariable Calc. and Linear Algebra
  • AP Capstone Research
  • Data Structures AV
  • CS Capstone AV

Awards
(keeping these vague)

• Nationally ranked in JROTC academic/leadership competitions (2 separate comps)
  • JROTC award (school level, from national organization)
  • JROTC award (school level, from national organization)
  • AP scholar with distinction

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)

• Multiple high-ranking leadership positions in JROTC
  • Academic/leadership team captain (in JROTC as well)
  • Military-related club co-president, 4 years participation (2 previous positions in 10/11 grades)
  • Travel and HS field hockey team (3x varsity)
  • Summer IT internship, 2 years
  • Volunteer field hockey coach, 3 years
  • Civil Air Patrol, 2 years
  • Stellar Xplorers (space-related comp. team)
  • Member of student rep. board at school

Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)
Essays are pretty good I think, from what I’ve been told (hard to judge though). LORs are from two teachers that I’ve had 3 classes with each, know me very well, so should be good.

Cost Constraints / Budget
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)
Applying for AFROTC scholarship, but also have back-up payment plan with parents.

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
    Iowa State
  • Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
    Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
    Rose Hulman Institute of Technology
  • Match
    VA Tech
    WPI
    RPI
  • Reach
    Texas A&M
    CU Boulder
    Un. of Maryland- College Park
    Un. of Michigan
    Georgia Tech
    Purdue Un.
    Un. of Illinois- Urbana Champaign

( realize this list seems random in terms of geography/size; I am mainly aiming for Midwest/Northeast, with some exceptions)
(Another note- I also realize this is very reach heavy…)
(Final note- I’m applying to early action everywhere)

Thanks in advance! Any insight/suggestions are appreciated.

You’re back yet again. Last time you mentioned a C in Calc.

What is your backup plan - meaning to achieve budget (whatever it is). Or should I say - what is the budget if the AFROTC money doesn’t work.

Iowa State, ERAU and RHIT are safe for admission - but what if you can’t afford?

U of Alabama would be well under $20K per year - $16-18K - as an example - with automerit. So there’s no worry - you get $30,500 off $33K tuition.

So ERAU is $56K - even if you get half off tuition, it’s high 30s. Can you afford that? So not sure what the back up plan is so not sure if ERAU or RHIT would be safe - financially.

RPI will be likely. CU Boulder will be a safety.

I agree with the rest - WPI and Va Tech as a match and your reaches as reaches although Texas A&M is a low reach.

I’d say this though - the money situation matters and unless your parents have a way to afford $50K+, short of winning the scholarship - well I do think you need more financial safeties - and I don’t know the budget and I understand Iowa State is reasonable - but a Bama, UAH, Miss State would all be under $20K in cost.

Good luck.

I like your chances at most and I think you have a balanced list, keeping costs aside. What is the pattern of grades over time? It would be important to have either a consistent or upward trajectory to your grades but your SAT and course rigor should alleviate any GPA concerns.

What is the price limit and backup plan?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.