• Male Indian
    *Mainly looking around Midwest

**Intended Major(s): Computer Science, CS+Stats(UIUC), Data science

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.8
  • Weighted HS GPA: 4.47
  • Class Rank: Don’t know yet
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1470 SAT

Coursework

12 AP classes total (6 enrolled senior yr)

AP HUG, AP Euro, AP Calc BC, AP Bio, AP Psych, AP Lang, AP Lit, AP Stat, AP Macro/Micro, AP Spanish, AP Computer Science Principles

Awards
DECA International Qualifier
UChicago Model UN Best Delegates with several other delegate awards
Most likely AP scholar
Black Belt state competitor

Extracurriculars
DECA 2 yrs (state top 10 and nats qualifier), MUN 3 yrs (6 delegate awards), Youth and Government (3 yrs), Science Olympiad (2 yrs), Key Club (2yrs) Tutoring Nonprofit teaching coding basics (2 yrs), Programming classes and summer camp, Tennis 3 yrs. HR Assistant and Manufacturing company (summer job)

Cost Constraints / Budget
(High school students: please get a budget from your parents and use the Net Price Calculators on the web sites of colleges of interest.)

Schools

• Safety : UIC, NIU, DePaul
  • Match: IU, UW madison
  • Reach: UIUC, Purdue

Are you in a public or private?

Your safeties are all safe as is IU - also a safety.

UW, UIUC and Purdue - depends on your school but maybe a low reach at UW, and then more difficult at Purdue and UIUC.

Since you’re looking around the midwest, UMN,Ohio State, Iowa State, Pitt if not too far, Missouri Science & Tech - would all be nice schools for you as well.

2 Likes

Nice realistic list. I work in your area and live in the city.

I think you have a great list. Not a big school but https://www.iit.edu/ has great placement and you would get a nice merit. It’s not for everyone but all the name brand companies hire their grads and being in Chicago you get nice placements.

Rose Hulman, again nice merit but again a small school but known in the industry with again great placement.

Michigan if you can afford it but Michigan State Honors once again probably Honors with nice merit with a lot of advantages. Being a big ten school they compete with placement. Don’t let rank full you.

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions!

Does IIT have a decent acceptance rate I noticed it was private when I was doing my search?

1 Like

Yes. They are, just like all programs, getting harder to get accepted into. I would go do a tour. There are lots of buildings that don’t look like much until you actually go into them and then the magic happens. Besides engineering many of their programs are highly sought after like architecture. This is a newer building on campus Ed Kaplan Family Institute for Innovation and Tech Entrepreneurship | Illinois Institute of Technology

The person that started that also started this
https://1871.com/

I know he wanted to have a close connection with IIt, UIC and UIUC

2 Likes

Your list looks good except I suspect that Madison is a reach.

2 Likes

Is there a certain reason why? Do you know what they are looking for in applicants?

I will say that u wi mad would likely love to take out of state money at full cost.

But yeah, sadly the Badgers have been very 50/50 with high achieving kids.

1 Like

I’ve known of several very strong applicants in recent years with grades and test scores similar to yours who were deferred, then rejected. It’s become a pretty tough admit, so you’re better off considering it a reach (and then being pleasantly surprised if you get in) rather than semi-counting on it as a target and getting disappointed.

3 Likes

For Purdue, you should take a look at its Data Digest, here: https://www.purdue.edu/datadigest/. If you click on the links for “Applications, Admits, and Matriculations” and “New First-Time Beginner Profile” you can input data that is particular for you and see admissions data that is more relevant to you. This may help in advising your application decisions and expectations.

thank you for the resource!

I see. Alright thank you for the info

UW Madison admissions has gotten a bit crazy for the students from the states with the highest numbers of apps, including Illinois. If you are really interested in Madison, plan on spending some time on that “Why UW Madison” essay and make it very specific to the Madison experience, the Wisconsin Idea, etc. Agree that it could be reachy depending on where you applying from. I do a little consulting with students in the midwest and having been watching for a while.

My kid just graduated as an OOS student from UW Mad in CS. Totally exceeded expectations, fabulous undergrad experience.

You could consider University of Minnesota if you like midwestern, urban and OOS publics are affordable. You maybe could get some merit from them.

You are correct. Getting into Madison from Illinois the last 5 years has been a challenge and getting harder yearly

1 Like

Are your parents willing to pay the costs of all of the colleges (and do they know how much they will cost)?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.