Chance me for admission into UIUC CS [international student, 3.67 GPA, 1480 SAT]

Demographics : Asian with no hook

Intended Major (s) : Computer Science (but engineering)

ACT / SAT / SAT II : 1480 (680 RW 800 M) SAT II Math Level II 800 TOEFL 110

GPA and Rank : 9th grade (3.2, 3.675) 10th grade (3.463, 4) 11th grade (4.617, 4.4486) 12th grade(4.375, 4.338) my school doesn’t do rank / No ap courses in freshmen year.

Four year average: 3.67 UW / 3.99 W (10 ap courses taken)

Coursework : AP / IB / Dual Enrollment classes, AP / IB scores, etc

Honors / AP courses (including self-taught courses) : Honors Chemistry, AP Calculus BC (5), AP Calculus AB (subscore) (5), AP Statistics (5), AP Chemistry, AP Physics I / II (4) AP Biology (4) AP Computer Science Principles (4) AP Microeconomics (4), AP Human Geography (4), AP Environmental Science (4) AP World History (4), AP Languange and Composition (3)

Extracurriculars : Founder / President of a big data / coding club, won a semi-copyright and a top prize for suggesting a policy using a data visualization (being largely vague) Member of Academic Honor Societies (Math, Science, National), MUNS, Student Gov, bunch of volunteers etc, sports.

Awards : bunch of math awards (not saying the name of competition for privacy) at a less known but international level + CS award from a government, and school distinguished scholars

Essays / LORS / Other : Essays and LORS will be moderate, I think.

Do I even have a chance?

1 Like

you have a really good chance.

Why? Can you give me some reasons?

I thought I had little to no chance because the middle 50% GPA posted in their website is 3.76-4.0 on unweighted scale. Since I have 3.67 UW, at least 85% of students had higher GPA than me, and I am applying for CS.

1 Like

I don’t see your residency. Are you an Illinois resident ? Little chance. But hugely unlikely. Out of state no chance. Well there is always a chance.

Make sure you have targets and safeties.

1 Like

I am international. Thank you for realistic suggestion.

I think it’s going to be tough. Sorry to say that.

UIUC is very well regarded for CS. As an international and therefore out of state student your chances are going to be tough. I think that you need to think about other universities to apply to for CS.

You have a strong uptrend, with very strong 11th and 12th grades. This makes me wonder if you should think about places that care mostly about your last two years. This in turn makes me wonder about universities in Canada since the last two years will matter a lot more than earlier grades for Canadian universities. Have you considered universities in Canada? Waterloo, UBC, Toronto, Simon Fraser, Queen’s, McGill, Alberta, … might for example be worth considering.

No need to sorry. It is what it is.

UIUC had a 6.7% acceptance rate last year, so your chances are low. Your unspecified math awards may help.

What did you choose for your second choice major at UIUC? Do you have an affordable safety in your home country? Have you applied elsewhere in the US/Canada/UK/EU?

I am from SEA region and I do have safety schools here. Thanks for your advice!!

1 Like

By the way, I have just one more question. I got a data competition award from one of the government branches in my country (Ministry of Corporate Affairs), and I want to know if this help much in the admission process or do they just not care as it is not a well-known competitions like USAMO or something?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.