Chance me for ED? Qualified.. but very low ACT scores

<p>So I'm really bumping because UM in my top dream school, but my ACT is going to hold me back.. I still want to know if I have a chance to get in, I can never afford to go there without some sort of scholarship but I know I wont be able to get one because of my ACT.
GPA UW-3.5
GPA W- 4.3
Top 11% ranked
over 250+ Community Service Hours
Bunch of ECs including dance, golf, tennis, and piano.
Pretty decent essay
ACT: 24 Super Scored :/
I'm going to have an excellent teacher recommendation</p>

<p>Why didn’t you also take the SAT? And take it multiple times! Many students who score poorly on the ACT perform better on the SAT. I don’t think you will be in line for any merit based scholarships from UM based on your stats. Top 11% is very good, but it doesn’t jive with your GPA or ACT numbers. Have you taken APs and/or honors classes?</p>

<p>I did! But I did even worse on the SAT :confused: I freak out on standardized test. Yep, Honors classes through all of high school and 5 AP classes.</p>

<p>You should try the SAT. My daughter is kind of in the same boat as you. But she scored at 28 on the ACT and didn’t do that great on the SAT. She kind of freezes up taking these tests also. Taking the SAT for the 3rd and final time next week. Sometimes one test works better than the other. You really REALLY should consider taking it again. It’s next Saturday and hopefully you can find a test site with availability and pay the late fee.
Good luck to you. Let us know what you decide.</p>

<p>I don’t have the money to take it again, so I’m just going to stick with my scores. Plus I’m pretty sure it’s too late anyway if i want to apply ED, and last time on the SAT I did even worse, I know it’s pathetic. I had no idea scores mattered so much to places like UM.</p>

<p>"I had no idea scores mattered so much to places like UM. "
Then you had a pretty poor guidance department in your high school.</p>

<p>If you are counting on receiving merit scholarships in order to be able to attend UM, then I’m afraid you may be out of luck. They seem to base those awards pretty heavily on the standardized test results. I also don’t think appying ED will improve your chances much, as we have seen that the acceptance rate for that group is quite low. And, applying ED may lock you out of applying EA at other universities.</p>

<p>Perhaps you will qualify for need based aid or can secure outside scholarships? Make sure you apply to multiple schools that are within your financial reach. </p>

<p>What is it about UM that makes it your dream school?
Do you have any other kind of “hook” that would help in UM admission (child of an alumni, first generation to attend college, unique racial background…?)</p>

<p>Yes I do, we actually have no BRACE advisor in our school right now and the guidance don’t really do anything :/. Well besides the scholarships, do you think I have a chance of at least getting accepted? & Don’t worry I applied to a bunch of public schools as well such as FAU and FIU where I’m hoping to get a decent scholarship, plus bright futures and aid from there. I was actually thinking for UM to apply to the Jenkins Scholarship since it didn’t say you needed a specific ACT/SAT score, but I feel I might be wasting my time with that. Do you recommend applying EA or RD? </p>

<p>The only hook I can think of is my moms boyfriend was a professor there.</p>

<p>Look up the common data set for UMiami. The ED acceptance rate is lower than in EA</p>

<p>As for not having the money to take the test again, isn’t there a fee waiver you can use? Since your “Guidance” counselor seems to be lacking, can you talk to someone who is connected with student services, like Special Ed? I’m not saying you’re in that group, but they know all the ins and outs. If you have no money and you qualify for free lunch, you should qualify for fee waivers. Talk to someone high up in your school. ASK. I’m serious, this is your future. If you are a FL resident you have all sorts of grants thatcher help also. But find an administrator and talk to them about your concerns.</p>

<p>Alright I will! The fee wavier is done with BRACE… so yeah :frowning: So if I retake the ACT, i can only apply regular decision? I’m not sure if its worth it as my scores have only been going up one point each time.
EDIT: I just registered for the next ACT, so I’m going to apply regular decision. I…I just don’t want to be disappointed in my score again. Any tips or studying I can do this month to help improve my score tremendously? I know timing is always an issue</p>

<p>I believe you can still apply EA and just send the scores for the ACT when they come…</p>