Chance me for Northwestern ED

I’m applying to NU ED, but I’m worried that my stats will get me thrown out of the pile / going test-optional will really hurt me (seems like they’re more strict about testing than even other top 10 schools). I would love some advice/suggestions/reality checks lol.

Other info: Asian F, no hooks, full pay, OOS
Intended Major: NU MaDe program

Stats:
GPA: 3.96UW, 4.41 W
ACT: 32 C, Waiting on oct SAT results (will likely go test op)
Course Rigor/APs: 13 APs 3 5s, 3 4s

ECs:

• National gold/silver medals in scholastic art (illustration) regional gold keys 4x and State fair grand prize for art 2x
  • Varsity tennis 5 years (top position for a few years), team has placed 3rd in state consistently, all-conference, placed in state individually, captain, voted MVP by team
  • Helped co-found a business that won a competition that gave 10k in funding
  • Part of a FTC team that made it to state 2 years in a row
  • Co-founded a FBA business that has 120k in revenue
  • Headed/founded a summer tennis camp fundraiser for my tennis team that taught 50+ new kids to tennis how to play and raised over $3000+ for my tennis team
  • Helped create a mentorship program (for exploring careers) with 30+ mentors from companies/institutions like Medtronic, PTC, Mayo Clinic
  • Violin (local organization) for all of high school. 2nd to top orchestra

Other ECs but those are the most important ones.

I’m just very concerned about my test scores and I haven’t heard of anyone who’s gotten into NU ED with suboptimal test scores or as test-optional :face_with_spiral_eyes:

So the composite range for ACT at Northwester is 33-35 per the CDS so in that sense it’s likely right not to submit. However, 25% had lower - and 82% submitted a score - so it’s a tough call, but you might be right that not having a score could hurt. Hopefully your SAT goes up.

I can’t speak to Northwestern but schools such as Penn, as an example, are filling a large chunk ED.

You have great ECs - and what’s the worst that can happen - you get rejected?

There’s other great programs to have in your pocket.

You can worry that your stats won’t get you in - and maybe they won’t.

But if you don’t try…

ED would likely give you your best chance.

As for TO or not, I’d personally submit a 32 but others would disagree and they’re likely right. A 32 to 33 is just one point and with 82% submitting, it will take away any concern they might have that it was a 27 or 25…just how I think.

Good luck in whatever you decide. You’re a strong student for a lot of schools. I hope it’s NU but if not, you’ll still have fantastic opportunities.

2 Likes

Are you recruitable in tennis? That would give you a real advantage. As an aside, how were you able to play 5 years?

I’ve had a few offers from D3 schools, but I’m not good enough to be recruitable for D1. I’ve been able to play 5 years on varsity since my school allows 7th grade and up to try out/play for the team.

1 Like

1 Like

Would you want to keep playing? That would change/impact your entire collegiate experience.

If so, I’d personally put that ahead of a name. Of course, tennis will take a lot of time and that’s not for everyone.

1 Like

No, I’m not looking to play college tennis

Congratulations on your achievements.

Have you asked your HS GC if you should apply with a test or not?

NU really wants tests, especially from ORM full pay students. I lean towards sending the 32 if that’s where you max out. Good luck.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve talked to them about it. They are leaning towards going test optional. But I agree with the post above that maybe sending it wouldn’t be too bad since it will show that I’m close to the range. However, it seems that they are very strict on their score range even compared to a school like Stanford who’s 25% is a 32. And I’ve looked through a couple of result threads + the scattergram on naviance for my school and have not seen anyone with a 32 act or below/test optional get in even for ED. So I’m just worried that my test score is going to basically nullify my chances regardless of my ECs/essays/GPA.

Don’t send your test scores if they are not competitive, because the rest of your stats are competitive. That being said, Northwestern is so selective that many applicants are rejected even with perfect stats. Put your best foot forward but be prepared to apply elsewhere. Wherever you end up, they are lucky to have you!

1 Like

This!!! You are spot on. If you go TO and get rejected, you’ll say I should have submitted.

If you submit and get rejected, you’ll think you should have gone TO.

If you are rejected, you’ll never know why. And it’likely wouldn’t be test related but you’ll never know.

It’s a reach school. Don’t fall in love with any school. And love those that love you. @collegegreen is spot on.

1 Like

Thanks for your input. I’m thinking of going test-optional first and I think they allow you to update your score up to December so if I can raise my score to within the range I will submit it. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

You have until Dec 3 to self report your new ACT scores by updating the portal.

https://admissions.northwestern.edu/faqs/standardized-testing-for-2020-21/

I’d like to talk about the test optional decision, because it’s important and I think you can handle the required nuance. Whether to submit tests or not is a school by school decision, and goes beyond looking at last year’s mid 50% matriculated student data (or admitted if we have that).

For NU we don’t have class of 2026 test score data. We have class of 2025 enrolled student data from the common data set, which shows an ACT mid 50% range of 33-35 (superscored). We also know 82% of matriculants submitted an act and/or sat (there are some who submitted both tests so submitters are something lower than 82%).

This high proportion of matriculants who submitted scores tells us NU likes test scores. They also directly tell us this on their standardized testing page (not all TO schools are this direct and transparent in their words):

For some background on how we use scores, and why we have required them in the past: While high school grades are a strong predictor for academic success in college, the combination of grades and standardized test scores has been shown to strengthen that prediction. (Scores alone do not predict academic success with the same reliability as grades.) So while we feel confident that applications can stand strong without test scores this year, we will still find value in scores if you choose to send them.

So, NU believes the data showing test scores plus GPA is a better predictor of college success than GPA alone. Your 32 strengthens your app if one is looking at things from this angle (like NU AOs are).

https://admissions.northwestern.edu/faqs/standardized-testing-for-2020-21/

Lastly, it is likely that many of the non-test submitters were from groups such as URMs, limited income, first gen, recruited athletes, and/or those from less competitive high schools…meaning it’s likely that most students with your profile DID submit test scores. And remember, 25% of SUBMITTERS had lower than a 33.

This is the reasoning supporting what I said above…that I lean towards you submitting your 32. I know it’s a difficult decision, and up to you. Good luck, you will do well at whatever college you attend.

4 Likes

yes,

that is some interesting data and a good argument. At this point, I think that whether I send my test score or go test-optional, it will hurt me in a similar way. I guess all I can do to make a real difference is work on my essays and hopefully raise my score before December.

@Mwfan1921 makes great points. Most TO probably have hooks/special circumstances. I came to the same point of submitting but their guidance has much better footing.

Find your weakness and study. But if you don’t get a 33/34, if you get rejected (and you still likely will) based on their admit rate - it will be ok.

I’m a two time NU rejectee - UG and graduate. It’ll be ok regardless. I’ve survived.

Put forth your best application. That’s all you can do.

You can’t control their decision making but be realistic. In 2025, they admitted 7% and that includes athletes, etc.

It’s great to ‘reach’ and it is even if you had a 34+. Don’t obsess. Find a balanced list with NU at the top of the ‘difficulty’ scale.

2 Likes

At a school that prefers to receive scores (like NU does), applying test optional is likely to be a greater disadvantage than sending a 32, especially in the context of the rest of your app. Of course my opinion.

4 Likes

You’re right. I’m trying not to obsess, but it can be difficult at times especially since there’s so much that goes into the process (essays, common app).

I am applying to a few safties/targets like UofMN and UW madison and I do like what each of those schools offers. But it would be nice to get into NU because they have such great programs and they’re right next to one of my favorite cities.

If you’re thinking about the Manufacturing & Design Engineering program at Northwestern, have you thought about Bradley as a likely admission? Bradley, like NU, is one of only 26 schools with an ABET-accredited manufacturing engineering degree. It’s mid-size, about as close to Chicago as Madison is, and would probably give you very generous merit aid to boost. Obviously, this would only become a consideration if you’re not accepted ED at Northwestern.

2 Likes

With the exact same profile and a higher score (say 33 or 34) how much stronger is your application? Not much. If they want you, then you’ll be accepted. I don’t think 1-2 points higher is going to matter much. There are a lot of students with similar profiles who apply during ED round. So it will come down to how many other students they need like you.

I’d say submit the 32.

1 Like

Do you really think 1-2 points wouldn’t make a difference? Imo it feels like being in their 50% range of scores would help a decent amount.

1 Like