Chance me for the schools I'm applying to [Equestrian going premed for rare diseases]

Because I was asked to weigh in–

FYI, activities done before matriculating full time in college generally are not included on a med school application, including activities done during a pre-college gap.

I’ll also be taking some online and in-person college classes at Harvard (through the extension school), and at BU.

I strongly recommend that you get approval for your class selections for this plan with the pre-med advisor at NEU before enrolling in these classes.

Med schools discourage students from taking online classes, esp in sciences. Online labs are extremely problematic and most med schools do not accept them.

Any DE and AP science classes will need to be supplemented with additional UL electives in the same department.

Please read this pinned thread in the pre-med forum;

One more topic and I promise I will stop being the Prophet of Doom™ /tongue in cheek

All medical schools have a set of technical standards every student must meet before they are allowed to enroll. Students
must reaffirm annually that they continue meet those standards.

Here’s an example from from BU:
https://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm/admissions/application-process/technical-standards/#:~:text=Compassion%2C%20integrity%2C%20high%20ethical%20standards,and%20proactively%20access%20available%20resources.

Medical schools only offer limited accommodations to students with physical/medical disabilities and those accommodations are mostly limited to the pre-clinical years. Don’t expect any accommodations for non-verbal or psychiatric disabilities (like adhd or executive functioning disorders). Hospitals where med students rotate are not required to provide any accommodations that would prove to be burden on the functioning of the hospital. This is also true for residency programs.

So scheduling a wheelchair bound student to only do patient exams in rooms with doors wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair would not be a burden since all hospital doors already meet this requirement. Providing a full time sign language interpreter for deaf student on rotation would be. Residents with epilepsy who require regular sleep schedules to avoid seizures won’t be excused from doing assigned overnights (overnight shifts are 26-32 hours long) because that would require other individuals to work additional hours to cover those shifts.

Also please be aware that getting any type of accommodation on standardized testing (and there is A LOT of that in the medical profession ) gets harder and harder as one progresses. It’s very difficult to get extended time for the MCAT; it’s all but unheard of to get extended time for the USMLE or COMLEX.

So before you move further down this path, make sure that your end goal is realistic.

/sigh of unburdening now that the potential bad news is over
/not trying to discourage, just trying make sure you understand the difficulty of your journey

Wishing you success on wherever your journey takes you.

8 Likes