Chance me for the schools I'm applying to [Equestrian going premed for rare diseases]

If you haven’t sent in all of your RD apps, I would encourage you to not divulge the ADHD and NVLD. IMO of course and know some might not agree. Does your HS GC recommend divulging this info?

2 Likes

I work with an outside of school counselor who said it could go either way with how the schools view it, but ultimately in my eyes, it’s another reason to admit me because I’m doing things on an abled-person level as someone who has multiple severe disabilities.

Another reason I think you need to perhaps look at others unless Umass and UVM are ok to you.

Schools are risk managers, in my opinion, and you want to show your best story. Resources are slim and while they are understanding, in general, I think they want to avoid students coming in with special needs. In other words, for some this might be reason enough to reject.

Yale was just in the news, being sued by students with mental health issues….whether right or wrong.

It may just be reason to add another school or two but if you are ok at Umass and I think UVM - then no issue. But will they have the support resources you may need?

Also, I’d think more important than a name you’d want to ensure whichever school you choose has the resources to provide the support you need.

2 Likes

I appreciate it. If I just get into my safeties then I’ll likely take a gap year, then.

Why ? Why did you apply to them then ?

A gap year won’t change much unless you do something great.

I just hope you are finding the right schools and not simply schools with big names. Best of luck.

8 Likes

I applied, I guess, because they’re…safeties? and of decent enough status?

But you say you wouldn’t attend. They are all fine schools.

You shouldn’t apply to any school you wouldn’t actually attend is my point.

6 Likes

That’s fair.

Did your college counselor approve your list of schools? It seems really reach heavy to me and I’m surprised a professional wouldn’t have suggested some additional match schools. BC isn’t a match for any student these days and William & Mary is a very tough admit as well (especially OOS). Most of these schools are unlikely admits and I’d hate for you to be left with just 2 safeties to choose from (nothing wrong with either school - my son goes to UMASS and likes it - but you don’t seem keen on them). I certainly wouldn’t rely on a gap year to better chances, absent some incredible experience so I’d think hard about potentially adding some schools.

4 Likes

They did! I had my HS GC approve it and my outside of school GC approve it. I highly, highly recommend you look up what the Broad Institute is- and why me being the youngest person there will hopefully help AOs see that I’m passionate.

It’s impressive but you are assuming people will take the time to look it up. Most will see your GPA, no APs (from earlier years), no tests, and you’ve informed them all about disabilities.

Don’t mean to be blunt but the Broad Institure won’t matter.

Again and it was mentioned earlier, why a few more apps might be wise and don’t discuss, write about or promote your shortfalls. Show why you are right for them. Not what they need to do for you…if that makes sense.

Need to sell yourself…

That’s my opinion. Obviously I’m not an AO or GC. I hope you get into some but everyone here has given you a consistent chance me. We may or may not be right but given it’s been many, it might be wise to heed the advice you sought vs trying to justify why it’s wrong.

5 Likes

I honestly believe that regardless of how the AOs see the disabilities, that it’s worth it to be honest with them about it.

And I will take all of your guys’ advice into considerations, but I will also do what’s best for me and my future. /gen

<3

1 Like

OP, you aren’t the first and certainly won’t be the last senior reaching out for advice and then knocking down the advice that’s given.

Agree that U Mass is a sure bet and UVM is highly, highly likely. And then-- it could go either way for all the other schools on your list.

It’s none of my business- but make sure that you’ve accounted for a drop in aid for the “Meets full need” schools once your income goes back up to 250K. I’m surprised the counselor didn’t suggest a few “high merit” colleges for you- where the level of aid would be consistent, regardless of your family’s assets, income changes, etc.

I think you are misreading the advice you are being given about your disability. NOBODY is suggesting hiding, or not being proud of what you have accomplished. However, they are pointing out that an adcom is not likely to say “Wow, incredible, gotta have this kid” once the disability has been disclosed, and is more likely to wonder “how much support did this kid have and can we provide that level of support- living accommodations (not a factor in HS), dining halls, libraries, lecture halls, labs-- do we have the right technology in place, how do we know how much scaffolding the parents have provided?” etc. So- disclosing raises lots of questions. Non-disclosure means that once you are admitted, you will work with professionals who will help you advocate for what you need. See the difference?

Good luck-- you sound fantastic. But add another safety (which is NOT GW, and their financial aid sometimes falls short of the mark) since you have time.

Forget about Gap year at this point and focus on adding another school where you’d be happy and which is affordable no matter what happens to the family finances…

7 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate it. I genuinely will take the advice. Perhaps i should’ve used tone indicators, but in any case- I really appreciate all the advice I’m given.

And I’ll see where the cards play. Hopefully I’ll end up where I’m meant to be. <3

/warmly

1 Like

It’s hard to read tone on line. Apologies if I came off too blunt. I think everyone here has the same goal - optimizing you. And I felt like it wasn’t being heard.

I wish you lots of luck. If you need merit ideas, let us know. But I would also check into each school to ensure they can provide the support you may need.

As the Yale lawsuit example shows, that’s not necessarily the highest pedigree.

Best of luck in your journey. I look forward to hearing your final decision in the spring.

Absolutely. Yeah, i read the other messages originally as harsh or mean, so I usually use tone indicators when texting online.

Thank you once again for all the advice! I will update this thread with my final decision when it comes! <33

/warmly, appreciative

1 Like

OP-- to be clear, I don’t think your list is a bad one. But it’s not robust enough in certain areas.

For example-- I think you will get into BU. How the finances will shake out? That I can’t predict. Trustee Scholarship- would be great, long shot. So I’d be looking at “BU type schools with merit aid where I’m at the top of the applicant pool”. Do I think you’re getting into GW? Yes I do. Will it be affordable? Dunno, I’ve seen some kids VERY disappointed with their GW aid package, wishing they’d applied to American (for example). Ditto Northeastern- kids who wish they’d have thrown in a last minute application to Drexel or Temple or Pitt.

USC? I’d have suggested looking at Rice if you’re willing to go as far as California and UTD. And I think schools like Miami (the one in Ohio) might come in at a great price tag and they’ve got terrific support for med school applicants.

Good luck…

2 Likes

Completely off topic, so apologies… but are these the type “tone indicators” people are using rather than emojis? Sorry for a dumb Gen X question. I’ve just not seen that. :woman_shrugging: :rofl:

3 Likes

Yup! These are tone indicators! I use them frequently since it’s very hard for me to tell tone over text. /warmly

1 Like

Finances can always be discussed after fact, but yes- I am definitely worried about finances as my parents also finance my equestrian endeavors AND they pay for my brother’s private school tuition, but I’m sure it’ll work out. <3

/softly, thoughtful