Chance Me for Virginia Tech C/O 2025

I visited Vtech over the past weekend and fell in love with the school, and wanted to apply early decision since my parents can afford to do so. However, my stats aren’t the best especially for what I am applying to (Engineering)

GPA: 3.9 W
SAT: 1510 (750 M, 760 R), will be taking it again and hoping for a 1550+

ECs are average, semifinalist in a national debate tournament, won a couple of awards in MUN, Participate in TAARC (Rocketry competition) but didn’t win anything, cybersecurity internship that was reasonably selective (20 out of 100ish people), Went to the state level for the national econ tournament, black belt, other volunteering stuff

Rec letters are going to be generic since I barely met my teachers irl cause of covid.

I also go to TJHSST

Don’t think you need to retake the test.

What kind of rigor do you have? If it’s your first choice and the money is good, go for it. They get few EDs.

It’s a gorgeous school, perhaps nicest in the country, but don’t fall in love with any school.

Good luck.

I think you are well positioned for VT based on other students I know who have been accepted into engineering. No need to retake the SAT.

What is your unweighted GPA? And what level math are you taking this year?

Unless something has changed, VT does not take letters of recommendation. Make sure you are clear on what’s required on the common app and what may be specific to VT’s requirements.

Consult with your guidance dept. at your HS or see if they use Naviance to track prior applicants. That data, while possibly not specific to engineering applicants, will provide better info than what you will see posted on these forums.

Lastly, whatever you do, don’t reference VTech on your application. It’s an automatic disqualifier. :grinning:

Male or female? That can make a difference when a discipline is more male- or female-dominated.
You seem to be in good shape. Definitely apply ED if you know it’s your first choice school, it can only help you.