GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• GPA: 96.5W, 91.5 UW

• SAT: 1480 (710EBRW, 770 M)

• Coursework:

• 13 AP, 3 DE, 7 Honors

EC’s

• Clinical/OR shadowing

• 402 Hours

• (e.g., Ophtomoalogy, Urgent Care, Dentistry, Hand Surgery, Urology, General Surgery,Emergency Medicine, Vascular Surgery, Plastic Surgery)

• FTC Robotics Team Presdient

• Ranked Top 50 internationally

• Organized Regional FTC Leagues tournament and 15 STEM Events

• Raised $16k

• 14 State-Level FTC Tournaments awards (2021-2023)

• FLL Tournament Judge Queuer

• Bike Shack Business

• Performed 50+ repairs

• Donated >$1.5k to Eye Hospital

• JV Tennis Captain (now playing for varsity)

• First-line singles and doubles

• Developed and assigned exercise drills/lineups

• 1st place Regionals

• Paid Medical Assistant Internship

• Researched eye conditions to help patients understand diagnosis

• Provided general assistance

• National Pediatric Cancer Foundation Chapter President

• Organized 5K races

• Hired first aid staff

• Registered participants

• Fundraised >$8k for cancer research/treatment

• Community Service (424 hours)

• NPO

• Led and organized community service initiatives (food packaging, gardening, habitat cleanup, etc.)
    • Health Fair

• Measured patient’s vitals noninvasively
    • Research trip to Kenya

• Led thousands of eye screenings

• Checked thousands of hemoglobin levels Assisted in several minor surgeries

• Prescribed eyewear

• Events for children with mental disabilities (cricket, ping pong, talent show)

• School-related Volunteering

• Several local foundations
  • Attended Semi-selective leadership academy

• Symposia Attended

• Herty Medalist Undergraduate Research Symposium 2023

• Forgiveness Symposium 2023

• Online Shadowing opportunities for 4 specialties (8 hours)

• Personal Project

• Created an inventory management system for a local Urgent Care using Python
  • In-progress research

• pediatric Anemia in Kenya (1st author)

• medical device accuracy (1st author)

• pharmaceutically active molecule effect on preventing cancer (co-author)

Awards

• Certificate of Appreciation for Community Service (international)

• 1st at International Essay Competition

• 2nd at National Model UN Conference

• 4th Place at State HOSA Conference

Essays/LORs/Other

• Essay: 7/10

• LOR

• English Teacher (3 years I’ve had her classes): she loved me, insanely strong writer (10/10)

• Healthcare Teacher: knows me well (7/10)

• Counselor: known her for 1 year, but she loves me (8/10)

• Doctor I shadowed: Asked me to come back on multiple occasions for shadowing (10/10)

• Dentist I shadowed: Shadowed 50+ pediatric surgeries and took patient calls for him (10/10)

Schools

• Safety: GSU

• Likely: UGA

• Reach: Augusta BSMD, Brown (PLME), UAB (EMSAP), Case Western (BSMD), Mercer 8 year medical program, VCU 8 year medical program, Duke, Emory, Georgia Tech, Johns Hopkins, Rice, UNC Chappel Hill, Upenn, Vanderbilt

I think you have it right but I might add one more match/likely unless you’re ok with GSU.

UGA should happen - but it’s too unpredictable.

Make sure you find the baseline for all schools on LORs. The healthcare teacher may not be an acceptable app to some schools on your list. If it’s not, you’ll need a STEM teacher, especially given the major you’re pursuing.

Good luck.

3 Likes

You will get into UGA

1 Like

With a 91.5 uwGPA? I do defer to your knowledge of UGA tho.:smiling_face:

That is certainly a reasonable concern, but the difficulty of the student’s overall academic experience is worth considering. That said, OP- are your grades letter grades or numeric? Do you have any B- or C’s? That would matter.

2 Likes

numeric - mix of Bs and As

How many B’s (out of how many total grades (not gym, etc). Will you get HOPE or ZM (recalculate for that).

2 Likes

3.73 hope GPA - 6 Bs and 9 As

What year are you? Senior with all those classes /DE/Honors. It doesn’t all add up, the # of courses

Doing what? Unless you are licensed to do so…you can’t do this. @WayOutWestMom am I correct?

And you can’t do this either. No license to do so.

Are you a trained medical assistant?

I’m having trouble understanding how a high school student could have done all the ECs you listed…

Please don’t exaggerate your accomplishments.

5 Likes

you can do anything in Kenya

senior

Well…you can NOT do any of these things in the United States without a license to do so. And stating you have done so isn’t going to help you…in my opinion.

3 Likes

I am not a certified MA, but acted as a medical assistant for the Ophthalmologist who worked there.

Everything was done in a controlled environment under the supervision of a well respected doctor.

Well…I would be super careful about how you describe this experience. It could backfire spectacularly if it comes across that a privileged high school student went to Kenya to assist with surgery on people who are likely low income and under resourced to get in some fun practice and build his resume. Now, that may not be the situation at all, but it could easily appear that way to AOs. Be careful.

12 Likes

They are right (about the wording). You seem to have done a lot in healthcare, but if, for instance, you are getting paid by a family member to work in their office, or laying out tools for a procedure, be careful about the description. Do not exaggerate.

3 Likes

I would strongly urge you NOT to include things in your ECs for which you are not licensed. The medical profession is very aware of what takes licensing and what doesn’t. Doing things that require a license here when you don’t have one will not enhance your application.

In my opinion.

Did someone tell you to list these things?

8 Likes

Doesn’t matter how you were supervised. In the US this is called “acting outside your scope of practice” and is considered exploitative and unethical. It’s a HUGE red flag for med schools.

14 Likes

Most of your reaches are very high reaches. To the point that applying would be a waste of your time. Brown PLME is possibly the most selective program in the country. And I can’t see most of your other reaches as possibility for you. Sorry.

IMO, you need to find a few more match schools and focus your attention there.

2 Likes