Chance me - NC resident Asian female Cornell ED [3.81 UW, 35 ACT, Human Biology Health and Society]

Demographics

• Asian female
  • Large competitive high school

Intended Major: ED 1 at Human Biology Health and Society (HumEc), Biology at other schools

ACT: 35 (took it once)

UW/W/Ranking: 3.81/4.5/64 out of 598

AP Exams:

• 5 - AP Psych, Calc AB, Lang, APES
  • 4 - AP Bio, Stats

Awards:

• Silver in British Biology Olympiad 2023
  • Gold in PVSA
  • Gold in Biology Challenge
  • Certificate of Recognition in response to COVID-19 from Gavin Newsom, Gov. of California
  • AP Scholar with distinction

Extracurriculars:

• Opened a small business in quarantine before high school, generating five figures yearly.
  • Club volleyball all four years of HS
  • All-state orchestra all four years of HS
  • Founded a volunteering branch (30 members)
  • President of cultural club at school all four years of HS
  • Tutoring children math and english all four years of HS
  • Leading group lessons for UK Biology competitions all four years of HS
  • Member of California volunteer club all four years of HS
  • Recreational Unicycle rider all four years of HS
  • Two years of JV volleyball at school

Essays/LORs: 8/10

Schools: UNC Charlotte, Cornell ED, UNC Chapel Hill, NC State

I can’t assess your chances at Chapel Hill - your stats are definitely in line with what they are looking for. I think you have a good chance at UNC Charlotte and a decent chance at NC state too (especially since you aren’t going for CS or Engineering). While you have a very strong HS record Cornell is a high reach - your gpa and class rank is a little on the low side for Cornell but you should take your shot if you really love it.

3 Likes

Uh, she will definitely get into NC State and UNC Charlotte.

3 Likes

Originally, I didn’t see she was in-state (got thrown off by the CA references) - I should have edited.

Cornell will be tough based on rank but not impossible. 82% are in the top 10%. Good luck.

My high school is very competitive - I believe a 4.6 puts you around top 7%. Will Cornell assess the GPA or the ranking?

1 Like

Congratulations on doing so well in a competitive HS! You should definitely get in to UNCC and NCstate. Unc-Chapel Hill is likely but not certain. Cornell chancing I need more information:
What APs are you taking this year? What is the rest of your schedulefor this year?
Are AP Chem and APphysicsC offered at your school? What about APUSH?
And, how many students get admitted to ivies each year from your school?

I already took AP Chem sophomore year, took AP physics 1 junior year, taking APUSH this year. I’m taking four APs this year and one dual enrollment class

1 Like

What areyour 4 APs this year? What science are you taking this year? Does your school offer APphysicsC?
What were the scores on APphys1 and APChem?

AP Lit, Euro, APUSH, AP Hug. I’m not submitting my ap phy 1 and chem scores. yes my school offers ap physics C

Ok. I think ED cornell is a large reach for you. Someone interested in sciences really needs the 4s and 5s on science APs for a school of Cornell’s level. Taking Chem was great to push yourself and that is a plus. Your course rigor senior year is somewhat less than expected for someone interested in majoring in science at an ivy/ivy+ . I think you have a less than 15% chance of admission ED. However—you absolutely should still go for it if it is your favorite! You may get a deferral and will still have a chance in regular.

I wouldn’t over panic - there’s not much you can do.

GPA is most important. Rank is important.

But it is what it is.

You’ll find out in a few months.

With your GPA and test, you can get into a lot of OOS schools too - if UNCC or NC State wasn’t your jam.

Good luck.

I agree with others that Cornell is a reach or high reach. However, I guess that the good news is that you have great in-state options.

Your ECs are interesting. I played on a volleyball team at one point and understand how difficult it is. The tutoring, music, and small business all look very interesting also. However, I still think that Cornell is a reach.

What are you intending to do with a degree in biology?

Dental school!

1 Like

Do your parents have a budget for you. Will they pay for both undergrad and dental school? If limited budget it might make sense to go to your more affordable in state options than Cornell. Just something that has to be considered in the equation.

3 Likes

They will look at both.

My parents don’t have a budget. My parents will be paying for everything.

That’s great. Makes things much easier for sure.

Is there something about this major that is especially well-suited for pre-dent? Otherwise, if you are applying to CHE because it has a higher acceptance rate, understand that the land grant-contract colleges give a slight preference to in-state students and the chances for out-of-state students are probably comparable to the College of Arts and Sciences. If all things being equal you’d prefer CAS, that might be the way to go if it would bring out your strongest, most authentic application.

I know!