Chance me, please!

<p>My demographics:
Hispanic male from florida; first generation. I attend an average high school.</p>

<p>Objective Information:</p>

<p>GPA: 3.5 Unweighted, 4.1 weighted
SAT: 1400 M+R, 2040 M+R+W
ACT: 30 (30 E, 34 M, 28 R, 29 S, 28 E+W)
SAT Subject Test scores: 710 Biology E, and sending in Math I and Math II scores in a couple of days (I'm predicting a 700+ on each)</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:</p>

<p>A few officer positions in a few clubs, founded a science club, track, tennis, and a few other things</p>

<p>Awards:</p>

<p>Science award, math award, AP Scholar with honors, Varsity letter for tennis, and a couple others</p>

<p>Volunteering: About 210 hours</p>

<p>Additional Information: </p>

<p>Grades suffered because of some family health issues (I don't want to get into because it is personal stuff)
Intended major: Biomedical Engineering (pre-med)</p>

<p>I applied early action.</p>

<p>Class Rank?</p>

<p>I think you have heard this before…Your screen name does not encourage replies on a UM board.</p>

<p>22/300</p>

<p>And yeah, I know. I made this a while ago. UM is now my top choice school in Florida after I visited.</p>

<p>I’d make a guess that you are IN and that you’d be offered the 20k scholarship. Maybe the 24k depending on the creds of the rest of the applicant pool.
~Zinc (who only offers his opinion, no hard facts to back it up!)</p>

<p>Thank you! Bump! </p>

<p>Update:</p>

<p>November 5th subject test scores:</p>

<p>700 Math I
760 Math II</p>

<p>Note: I was told repeatedly that UM doesn’t consider SAT II scores in making admission decisions - not sure about scholarships. I’ve always felt it can’t hurt to report them, just in case.
~Zinc</p>

<p>Tend to agree with Zinc, although I think the 20K scholarship would be the highest amount awarded.</p>

<p>Hi. Please Chance me.
I go to A Private High School
Prep High school
I would like to attend University of Miami
Gpa -2.61 freshman year
Extra Curricular Activities
Track
Tennis
Musical
Show choir
Mission Club
Volunteer At Hospital so far 16 hours
Volunteer at The red Cross volunteer
Cancer Society volunteer
Volunteered at a Musical play at my school
outside activity mayors youth commission
This year my sophomore year
So far… activities + I’m in Choir</p>

<p>Mission club
Miracle Makers
Show Choir
Aware
My gpa is very low you think i have a chance? so far?"
I’m thinking of transfering to a public school to get my gpa higher?

• I think i;m class rank very low.</p>

<p>23455666anna - you should really not hijack another thread to ask about your chances…but beyond that, if you are really serious about attending UM, you will need to turn yourself around academically. To get into UM, you need a gpa around 3.5 or better, SAT’s in the 1350 miminum range - check out the admissions links on the UM website.</p>

<p>Also, based on what you’ve told us, it seems you have some passion about the performing arts - not sure UM is a good fit for that? You’ve got some thinking and key decision making to do over the next 2 years, regardless of what schools you are planning to apply to. Talk to your guidance counselors.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you.
~Zinc</p>

<p>Were you to keep a GPA like that, I would fear that you would not be able to get into FIU, let alone University of Miami. Most of the kids here have graduated at the top ten percent of their class, and a good 1/3 or more have graduated in the top 5%. If you want to go to UM, you really need to focus, get straight a’s, and score high on the SATs.</p>