Chance me PLZ applied EA

<p>Hey I'm an asian american male from New Jersey. the public school i go to is number 1 in the state and very competitive. My GPA is a 3.36. Im not in any APs because in my high school you have to compete with other students to take AP classes and there are limited spots. So i just didn't get into any sadly. I applied EA to Umiami and i did not send them my SAT scores. my ACT score with writing is much better and i got a total composite for 30. i got a 25 english , 31 Math , 32 science , and 31 reading. Ive taken honors history for 2 years. Ive been in honors chinese for 4 years. Honors math for 2 years. 4 years of science and I'm taking physics now. 4 years of math and I'm taking calculus now. Ive also taken about 7 other honors elective classes throughout highschool. Im not sure about my essay but my aunt who's currently an english professor at Tufts and also helps people with their college essays as a side job helped me a bit and thought it was good. Im not sure if my teacher recs were good or not i never saw them. My high school has a decent relationship with Umiami and last year 16 people were accepted from my school and 39 applied. Ive been on varsity swimming for 4 years and track for 4 years. over the summer i worked as a lifeguard for 2 summers and ive done volunteer work at a hospital for 3 years. I'm in a couple clubs and I'm an officer in the asian club in my school. UMiami invited me to apply for one of their scholarship for minorities which is a full tuition one and it is merit based and highly competitive. I don't expect to receive the scholarship but i did it cuz i thought it would help me get accepted since UMiami doesn't have any supplement essay or questions to answer. I do a couple other EC things. I hope to get accepted EA so what do u guys think my chances are? please respond.</p>

<p>also my high school does not rank and from last years graduates 6 enrolled to Umiami. please respond. Umiami is one of my top choices. i knew it was more a reach school for me but want other peoples opinion about how slim or great my chances are?</p>

<p>Has your guidance counselor given you any indication of how your stats compare to the 16 who were accepted at UM last year?</p>

<p>not specifically. My high school uses a website called naviance that has all the people who applied from 2008-2011 from my high school to UMIAMI and whether they got accepted rejected deferred etc. it doesn’t give names or anything so i don’t know how rigorous the courses of the people who were accepted last year from my school. It lists GPAs and SAT and ACT scores. But it has things like lowest GPA who was accepted and lowest standardized test scores who was accepted. And they have accepted a couple people that have lower GPA and test scores than me. But it ranges from 2008 - 2011 and UMiami has gotten much more competitive over the years.also i haven’t visited the school but i have gone to a Umiami info session/meeting b4 hosted by the admissions counselor that handles the NJ area and i get mail from them so they do kno I’m interested. So what do u think my chances are? plz respond</p>

<p>Based on what you’ve told us, I’d guess that you will be accepted, altho I don’t think you’d be eligible for any more than the 16k scholarship. And, depending on the depth of higher ranked candidates, you may be looking at no scholarship.
As always, this is just my opinion…
~Zinc</p>

<p>Couple of things. The U is on the move and the President is definitely into the ranking game. Thus, they are seeking to become more selective and certainly being ranked 38th will impact the number of applications. Therefore, one should expect and increase in applications this year and competition for admission.</p>

<p>The common data set is a good place to profile yourself. The 2010-11 information indicates that 88% were 3.50+ GPA. Also they note as being “very important” items such as class rigor, test scores, and GPA. Thus, your ACT is good and GPA could be better along with class rigor. But, EA is your key. This indication of your commitment should give you the push. Their overall acceptance rate for 2010-11 was 39.2% with a yield of 8.23%. Therefore, they admit a fair amount of students and this is good for you. I like your chances a lot!</p>

<p>k thanks a lot both of you guys this was very insightful. I know the college admission process is quite random and nobody can be so certain they are going to get into a school or not.</p>