CHANCE ME S24 want to apply Pitt with Guarantee to PA or DPT

You have mentioned a couple of times what you see your son doing. The bigger question…what does he see himself doing. And also understand that many many students enter college with the idea of one major or career and change their minds…sometimes more than one time.

Both direct PA and DPT programs are highly competitive. Some direct PA programs require a certain amount of shadowing. Your son needs to at least speak to some PAs (not doctors) about their careers, what it took, and how to get shadowing experience. It’s possible…we know HS students who have done so in the last two years.

I wouldn’t want any student to commit to a PA program without knowing what the work actually looks like.

Also, there are tons of other health careers your son could explore if he hasn’t already.

1 Like

There are graduate programs which specifically focus on Genetic Counseling. Their graduates get jobs in settings ranging from large hospital systems to smaller oncology practices. These are patient-facing roles, but there are opportunities to get involved in research if you are affiliated with an academic medical center.

What does your son want? Right now you are mentioning PA, DPT, and GC. It seems he is not ready to commit to dpt, which is fine and perfectly normal.

1 Like

Besides what is stated above, GCs can also work in industry (DNA companies etc).

Your son seems to have a few interests, which again, is normal.

1 Like

Thank you all so much for all the inputs. We will have some research to do. The process is new to us as I done my undergraduate in other country where everything is based on test scores. He is lucky to have many choices here in US.

1 Like

Good luck and please reach out with any questions.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.