Chance Me: U of MN Twin Cities but also T20 [MN resident, 3.77, 29, computer science / data science]

Demographics

Indian male

middle class house hold income.

U.S. Citizen

State/Location of residency:

Minnesota, United States

• Type of high school * Public and Large
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity *: Male

Intended Major(s)

Computer Science and Data Science

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.77
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.16
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 29 (might retake)

Coursework

AP Scores:

AP Calc BC: 5 —10th
AP Calc AB Sub-score: 5 —10th
AP World History: 3 —10th

11th

AP Physics C Mech (4,5) Guess
AP Physics C E and M (4,5) Guess
AP Lang and Comp (4) Guess
AP Macro (3,4) Guess
AP Statistics (3,4) Guess
AP Comparative Government (4) Guess
AP U.S. History (4) Guess

Taking around 6 more AP’s senior year

Awards

None

Extracurriculars

Student Council—leadership position 12th
ACT school free tutoring—founder 12th
AP Testing help club—co-founder 12th
Club designed to helping incoming 9th graders ease into high school—member 12th
course choosing club for incoming high-school freshman —member 11th, 12th IDK
Political blog writer—12th
0 volunteering hours
Summers: Eating. Sleeping. Eating. Watching. Sleeping. Watching

Essays/LORs/Other

LOR 1: 7/10. I was under his tutelage for three consecutive terms, so I ardently believe that he has perceptively discerned both my strengths and weaknesses. AP U.S. History
LOR 2: 8/10. I’ve heard that this teacher writes fire essays, so I am hoping that it is true. AP Language and Composition
Counselor LOR: 5/10 I haven’t really talked with him at all tbh.

Personal Statement: How English and Math are an unlikely duo, but in the end, they require each other. And how I am passionate in both Math and English, and how both had a substantial impact on myself, and how I knew that computer science was my major bc it requires both Math and English.

• I still do not know if this topic is good though

Schools

• Safety * U of Kansas
  • Likely * Hennepin Tech College
  • Match U of MN Twin Cities? I really want to go there
  • Reach: T20 schools
1 Like

Based on the information you’ve posted, T20s are going to be extremely unlikely. There are Asian American kids with perfect GPAs and test scores, tons of amazing ECs, awards and community service that don’t get into T20s for computer science (the most competitive major).

But that’s ok. You can get an excellent education at hundreds of colleges across the country.

To start with, what’s your budget? If you aren’t sure, ask your parents and let us know. Do you qualify for need based aid?

4 Likes

Have you run the net price calculator on each college’s web site, and have your parents said that the result is affordable?

“Middle class” is vague enough that it says nothing about what colleges may be affordable.

2 Likes

My parents told me that I do qualify for need based aid.

After FAFSA it should be affordable!

FAFSA is just a form to apply for federal financial aid, with most colleges using the information to calculate their own aid. This does not guarantee any level of financial aid from any college, so you need to get an estimate from each college’s net price calculator. Some colleges require additional forms, like the CSS Profile or their own forms. If your parents are divorced, some colleges require both of their finances, while others require only the finances of the parent giving you the most financial support (custodial parent).

Example: Net Price Calculator | Office of Admissions

2 Likes

If UMN is your dream school, why are you applying to top 20s? KU is a safety - and even if you need another, add Iowa State.

You’d get into UMN - but I’m not sure if their CS has differing admissions. But 29 is the Median ACT - but again, admission to the college of engineering might be harder. Only 45% even submit a test - so your 29 is a letter better than it seems.

You should reach out and ask.

Note - it doesn’t appear to be a direct entry school - meaning, you have to take the pre-reqs and get a 3.2 in order to get the CS major.

1 Like

UMN has direct to college admission. For computer science you would apply to either the college of science and engineering (for the BS) or college of liberal arts (for the BA). Undergraduate admissions overview

3 Likes

Sure - I was looking at BS and this. Perhaps I misread but I meant direct entry to the major…

Meet the technical (unbracketed) grade point average (GPA) requirement for courses taken at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities:

• Students with a 3.2 or above technical GPA will have guaranteed admission to the major

CS is part of UMN’s College of Science and Engineering. Student enter undeclared, and must apply to their specific majors later. A 3.2 college GPA is automatic admission to the major, but CS is one of the more competitive majors for those with college GPA below 3.2.

Yes - but what I’m saying is - I believe the student would get into the university - like College of Arts and Sciences - but not sure if the engineering school would have different admission requirements.They still apply and enter the college. And the college may have more strict requirements - just to get in (not to get the major which comes later).

Either way, with UMN and KU - the student will find a great home - and if he’s looking to stay in that area, an ISU and potentially UNL - could be great schools as well.

“All freshmen entering the College of Science and Engineering spend their first two years taking foundational math and science courses. Lower-division (first- and second-year) students can specify a major for course planning purposes, but do not officially become majors in a department until they apply for admission to upper division.”

That’s for the BS degree in CS. There is also a BA which is part of CLA (college of liberal arts).

Note that the GPA required for admission to the CS major (both the minimum cutoff, and the threshold above which admission is guaranteed) may change over time. Changes to Major Admission Criteria

So in theory, if the school of engineering is a harder admit (don’t know), the student may enhance odds by going BA. It’s probably a question they should ask as I don’t know if the admission criteria into the university differs by college (or major within). But that’s why I mentioned upfron that they could contact admissions and ask.

But based on the overall university (not the major specifically) so if he applied to a psych or English et. I think the student would have a good chance.

And since it’s the ‘dream’ school I’m not sure why they would go ‘top 20’ which are the reaches.

Admitted students to CSE do tend to have higher stats. Here are stats of for the middle 50% of admitted students for each UMN college (as of fall 2022). GPA shown is unweighted. https://admissions.tc.umn.edu/academic-profile-fall-2022-admitted-freshman-applicants-college

One advantage to applying to CSE however is that it also opens up the possibility of other engineering and science majors, if the student’s interests may change over time.

Note that students are allowed to apply to a first-choice college and an alternate college, so there is no disadvantage in applying to the college of choice. https://admissions.tc.umn.edu/admissions/freshman-admission/frequently-asked-questions-about-how-we-determine-college-admissions

“Applicants are first considered for admission to the colleges listed in their application, in the order in which they are listed. Then, applicants are automatically considered for other U of M freshman-admitting colleges that may be a good fit with their academic interests and preparation.”

Thx for finding !!

So the GPA is a tad above and the ACT is at the 25th % but we know not all submit. Perhaps taking again as OP suggested helps immensely. And hopefully even if not, math is high relative to other scores.

Of course OP should also look at curriculums. It appears there’s more math in the BS. . But for the engineering school it looks like a target but could go either way. Like 52/48. Or do u see it differently ??

For CSE I think it could go either way. CLA probably a little more likely, but the first choice would depend on whether the student prefers the BS or BA, and whether the student feels there are other acceptable backup majors in the college (in case they don’t meet the cutoff for CS).

I would suggest applying early. UMN has a very straightforward application process, and starts admitting students very early in the admissions season (you can apply in August, and students begin to get decisions as early as September).

1 Like

I agree with other answers that “top 20” schools are both unlikely and unnecessary.

As an alternate reach, the University of Wisconsin is very good for CS. I have a vague recollection of some reciprocity between Wisconsin and Minnesota but I am not familiar with the details.

1 Like

But I imagine harder to get into….

My point is - in post one UMN is the dream school. So if top choice, why look for a more difficult admission ?

He has UMN and KU. A small list but workable. But an Iowa State if close to home desired and home is in MN might be another solid name.

Just good for thought.

“* Match U of MN Twin Cities? I really want to go there”

1 Like

Yes, and UMN is also a very good choice for CS.

I have seen cases where a “dream school” is also a safety, or at least a match. This often makes sense.

1 Like

Good point. Here’s some information for Minnesota residents on reciprocity agreements (including WI and a few other states), and other reduced tuition options in the midwest (MSEP): Reduced Out-of-State Tuition Options

2 Likes