Chance Me UMIAMI

HI! I believe UMiami decisions are released in early April, but with other options, I want to know if it is worth it to wait for those decisions with my stats before committing somewhere else!

OOS White Female
GPA- 4.5, 3.9 UW
SAT- 1230
Rank-9/127
AP classes: 6 (Lang, Lit, Environmental Science, Biology, Psychology, and Statistics)
NHS
ECs:
-3 sport varsity athlete (all 4 years) Captain of all 3 sports senior year
-Secretary of NHS
-Active member of MASC (Mass. Association of Student Council)
-Class secretary all 4 years
Major: Undecided

At $50,000 a year for tuition, you could do far better than to pay that much for a bachelors degree.

Ignore @coolguy40 . All reasonably good private colleges nowadays are 50K plus. You will definitely get a better experience at a school like the U than some random state U. If you’re from Florida, I will say that Univ. of Florida does have a pretty good reputation, though.

As far as your chances, everything is stellar except the SAT. Overall, that would be about 25th percentile, so not impossible but not a shoo in either. Other parts of your app seem strong. Hopefully your teachers said great things about you. Once you get in, while your SAT may be 25th percentile, quite honestly it will be how hard you work that will determine your college GPA, so don’t be impressed by anyone with a higher SAT!

@Edisonian proves precisely why you DON’T go to an expensive private university. $300,000 for a “college experience?” Really? That’s assuming you could get the financing anyway. If you’re a FL resident, your tuition is around $6,000 a year at UF, FSU, UCF, etc, and there’s just as much “college experience.”

I’ll tell you a little something about “college experience,” though. All those fun college parties you see…it’s an illusion. They usually consist of students on academic probation. Real college experience consists of studying, doing assignments, writing papers, and taking tests…rinse and repeat. It’s generally dull and can be lonely sometimes, because all your friends are doing the same thing.