Chance me: Undeclared for UCLA and UC Berkeley!

I’m not really sure where I stand at these schools. I’ve heard students get into these schools with lesser stats, yet at my school these schools are seen as up there with the Ivies in terms of being accepted. So, I don’t know what to think. These are my DREAM SCHOOLS!

I applied Undeclared to the College of Letters and Science to both.

Stats:
– GPA: 3.9 UW; 4.5 W (Top 9% ELC at a good suburban California public school)
– SAT: 1510 (770 RW; 740 M)
– SAT II: Math Level 2 (740) :neutral:
– APs: Art History (4), APUSH (5), AP Lang (5), AP Spanish (4), AP Psych, AP Calc AB, AP Lit, AP Physics C

Activities:
– Founded a non-profit
– Worked at LA County Child Support Services
– Coded video games
– Coded multiple apps (including data analysis and machine learning)
– Made an educational calculus website w/ my AP Calc teacher.
– Dance crew
– School peer mentoring

Essays:
– Talked about how I wrote an app to help my non-profit grow.
– Talked how video games helped me merge my creative side with programming.
– Talked about how I got over my fear of dancing in front of other people.
– Talked about loosing 75 pounds after being cyberbullied.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-general/2127392-faq-uc-historical-frosh-admit-rates-by-hs-gpa-2018.html may help you.

Since your ECs suggest an intended CS major…

Note that UCLA does not have a CS major in L&S, and changing into the CS major in the engineering division is very competitive: https://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/ls-to-engineering/

At UCB, L&S undeclared students who want to declare the L&S CS major need a 3.3 GPA in CS 61A, 61B, 70.

you probably won’t get into UCLA and maybe not Berkeley either, speaking from experience that SAT score is a little low.

I think you are in the range and have similar stats of admitted students at my kids HS. Your SAT is not low to me.

It will depend on how you compare to your peers at your school. Do you have Naviance to see prior year acceptances?

If admitted to UCLA, I believe you can study CS through “LINGUISTICS & COMPUTER SCIENCE, B.A.” in L&S. I’m not sure how this differs from CS in COE.

Overall you are a competitive applicant but consider UCB and UCLA Reach schools but attainable.

Best of luck and your SAT is not Low…

@airpodpro23 . . . as @ucbalumnus stated, if you want pure CS at UCLA you would have had to apply as a freshman or from community college to the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science (“HSSEAS”), or switch into the major would would be extremely tough.

However, there’s a Specialization in Computing program that would be a good attachment to an eventual major in, say, Stats, Math, or even something like Econ. Some students are attaching this specialization to a Cognitive Science major.

There are Mathematics of Computation and Computational and Systems Biology majors in L&S.

As far as minors, there are Bioinformatics and even a humanities-based one called Digital Humanities. A belated edit: add a burgeoning major in Data Theory (Science).

I’ll just link the Specialization in Computing under the Program in Computing classes:

https://www.math.ucla.edu/ugrad/pic-course-descriptions

Definitely apply. You might get in, or you might not. You have a long list of affordable schools in California, so you’re good either way.