Chance My Daughter - Rising CA Senior [3.57 GPA, 4.00 UC GPA, 1490 SAT, mechanical or electrical engineering, < $50k]

AP scores definitely matter at many colleges. The UCs are not prohibited from considering them (that is only SAT/ACT).

Adding a loan (no idea on details) if one of them works.

We did a tour or RHIT and she liked it. Because of the small, isolated school, really wanted her to see it.
It does look like RHIT gives scholarships to all admitted students, that brings the COA to around $50K for 2023 (from the school thread).
Being a small school and the male/female ratio, they also seem to want to actively change that ratio.

Really depends on the rigor of the class as well as the type of student. We saw a whole lot of B+/5s for my kid who knows the material, but doesn’t always want to turn in that pesky hw.

2 Likes

RPI gives out quite a bit of scholarship money to attract females - I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it comes in under budget.

2 Likes

Weighted-capped (up to 8 semesters of honors +1 points) or fully-weighted?

I think all of the UCs are reaches for engineering for your daughter. RHIT is becoming increasingly harder but that SAT should help her there assuming she has a high Math score. Is your UC GPA calculation based on 10-11 grades or 9-11? Cal Poly SLO will use 9-11 while the other UC/CSU will use 10-11.

UCM seems likely, and UCR is probably a low match, for an engineering applicant with a 4.00 UC-recalculated weighted-capped GPA.

Perhaps, I was talking about all the UCs on OPs list. UCM is definitely in the picture but you never know with engineering majors.

1 Like

Texas A&M would definitely come in under budget if OP is willing to go through the steps to obtain residency.

1 Like

I agree, Pomona may not be a safety, but seems like an excellent match. Electrical Engineering is actually an easier admit than mechanical.
https://www.cpp.edu/admissions/freshmen/freshman-student-profile.shtml

Your daughter and you might spend some time watching the UC admissions videos that UCSB hosts.

Step 1: Overview
Step 2: About You
Step 3: Campuses and Majors
Step 4: Freshman Academic History
Step 5: Test Scores
Step 6: Activities and Awards
Step 7: Scholarships
Step 8: Personal Insight Questions

1 Like

Some CSUs:

• SJSU: multiply GPA * 800, then add math GPA * 400 to compare with the engineering major thresholds listed at Freshmen Impaction Results | Admissions to get an estimate of chances (thresholds may change next year). If math GPA is 3.00, then the index would be 4400, which would make EE (4200) a match and ME (4680) a reach.
  • CPP: multiply GPA * 1000, then add 450 to compared with the thresholds listed at Freshman Student Profile to get an estimate of chances (thresholds may change next year). 4.00 → 4450 index for CPP, which would make EE (4207) a match and ME (4525) a reach.
  • CPH: not campus impacted, no major impaction except for nursing. Admission safety for all non-nursing applicants meeting minimum CSU admission requirements. Has ME, but not EE.
  • SFSU: not campus impacted, EE and ME are not impacted majors. Admission safety for EE and ME applicants meeting minimum CSU admission requirements.
  • CSUN: multiply GPA * 1000 and compare to thresholds listed at https://www.csun.edu/prospective-students/freshman-impaction . EE and ME are not impacted majors, so general admission applies. Threshold was 2500 local, 2700 non-local for 2023 (may change next year), but 4.00 → 4000 is well above, so CSUN is very likely.
1 Like

Adding onto the CSU discussion, do you know which CSU is considered your local school? See CSU Local Admission & Service Areas

Why take out loans ? No need to take out loans or even spend a $50k.

In engineering, the name matters less.

Stick to budget. And RHIT is different. Very small.

But a UCI/ UCD - are big schools and likely won’t lead to a different outcome than other large ABET accredited schools.

So if finances matter, stay disciplined.

Sounds like ASU is the clear outsude of CA #2 and will work.

So not a bad fallback at all.

3 Likes

Students can take $27K max in undergrad loans, $5.5K first year, then $6.5K/$7.5K/$7.5K. Any loans beyond that will be on the parents either directly or as a co-signer.

1 Like

Weighted capped (4 APs, 8 semesters).

Looks like East Bay (We are in San Mateo county).

How would one obtain residency in Texas without moving there?

You have quite the range of schools in terms of size, location and focus. How many of the schools on your list have you visited, and what would be your dream school?

Rose Hulman is very generous with aid, and if they are interested in you they would likely provide a merit award equal to 50% of tuition, bringing the COA down to the $50s. If you could get into Purdue, you could get into Rose. My son would have gone there if it were not in the middle of nowhere, Indiana. On the plus side, they focus on undergraduate instruction and class sizes are capped at 30 students. I spoke with a professor there from my alma mater, and she was very impressive and could not have been more supportive. My son attended their summer Catapult program and loved the professor mentoring his project.

If you get accepted to Purdue, confirm that they are honoring their stated policy that general engineering students who earn a 3.2 (I think?) freshman year will get their desired major. They were not honoring that policy when my son applied.

Have you considered Case Western? They have a strong engineering program with good graduate outcomes, you would likely be accepted, and they are generous with merit aid (awards equal to 50% of tuition).

Good luck to you.

1 Like