Chance My Daughter - Rising CA Senior [3.57 GPA, 4.00 UC GPA, 1490 SAT, mechanical or electrical engineering, < $50k]

YEs, the UC GPA is weighted capped 10th and 11th grade A-G courses. Haven’t calculated the Cal State GPA and the SJSU scores (aware of them, just haven’t gone through the calculation yet).

Thanks! Yes, visited RHIT and Purdue campuses and daughter liked both of them (very different campuses and towns).
Will look into Case Western.

I don’t see CWRU being a likely or even a target. But if it’s of interest, OP would have to demonstrate interest. Being a female obviously helps at some of these schools.

Looking at the list, it appears as though the dream schools are all on the smaller side (well, tiny plus Georgia Tech at 17k). This makes me think of trying for some smaller schools:

• Clarkson (NY): Thirding? this school of about 2900 undergrads
  • Colorado School of Mines: About 5500 undergrads.
  • Illinois Institute of Technology: About 3k undergrads
  • New Mexico Institute of Mining & Technology: About 1200 undergrads
  • South Dakota M&T: Seconding this school of 2100 undergrads
  • Stevens Institute of Technology: About 4k undergrads
  • Wentworth (MA): About 4k undergrads

If not wanting a tech-focused school, these might be some other possibilities:

• Gonzaga (WA): About 5k undergrads
  • Seatttle (WA): About 4200 undergrads
  • Union (NY): About 2100 undergrads
  • U. of the Pacific (CA): About 3300 undergrads
  • U. of Portland (OR): About 3600 undergrads
  • U. of Tulsa (OK): About 2700 undergrads
2 Likes

For the CSU GPA calculation, if she has taken college courses these are counted twice in the GPA calculation so 1 semester= 2 grades and 2 Honors points if CSU transferable.

For the SLO GPA calculation, use 9-11th grades and the 8 semester Honors/AP point cap.

In the SJSU calculation, it does not specify if the Math GPA used is weighted or unweighted so calculate with both.

Since college courses are reported separately on the CSU application, some CSU’s have stated they do not consider the college GPA into their admissions index calculation. SJSU is one of these schools which previously has not included college course grades when you calculate the impaction index. You might want to be proactive and contact each CSU about college courses and GPA calculation. The CSU application once submitted will list a CSU GPA based on the inputted data for HS only and many campuses will use this GPA vs. recalculating.

1 Like

It’s a bit tougher than Utah, but there are multiple paths. You need to follow the steps for Establishing and Maintaining Residency. The full time students I know who have successfully gained residency all Owned a business or residence in Texas. Again, not trivial, but the schools residency office is truly helpful in all the steps. I have heard second hand that the only students denied residency missed very fundamental requirements.

https://aggie.tamu.edu/billing-and-payments/residency-for-in-state-tuition/establishing-residency

$50K is a very healthy budget. Your daughter will have many options.
For engineering, I am a firm believer in experiential learning. University of Louisville’s Speed College of Engineering is one that I recommend looking at.
Another school that I recommend if an urban setting is desired is Illinois Institute of Technology.
With a $50K budget, ED to Lafayette, RPI or Bucknell would net an admit.

NC State BTW, is not going to be a match for your daughter. Maybe a reach.

3 Likes

Generally speaking…it’s not easy…and has become harder over the years.

When the above poster says the STUDENT owns a business or residence…it is the STUDENT who must do this…and show evidence that they are supporting these things (like they have enough income earned…in Texas to support their home ownership)

1 Like

I haven’t heard it becoming more difficult since a while back when you had to own a residence, not just a plot of land somewhere.
If you own a residence in Texas (don’t need to live in it), you don’t need to show any income to support it. Just multiple documents to show proof of ownership. If you run a business, you must provide tax returns, income etc. But I know of multiple students that have gone this route with tutoring or etsy businesses. The employment route is challenging as a full time student. You have to either average 20hours a week on an off campus job, or earn enough to support 50% of your expenses including tuition. But you only need one of those three.
It doesn’t seem as risk free as Utah, but you aren’t skirting any rules, just need to follow them carefully.

Thanks! It looks like what you are saying works after Freshman year. So 1) You have to get admission as out of state and 2)Pay as out of state for the first year and then work on one of the options for in-state tuition starting Sophomore year.

To qualify for Texas residency at public universities, Texas law requires that a student establish by clear and convincing evidence “domicile” in Texas for at least 12 months prior to the enrollment term, meaning “principal, permanent residence to which the person intends to return after any temporary absence.” There are a bunch of non-exclusive factors that may help to support the idea that a student intends to be a permanent Texas resident, including employment, ownership of residential property, and ownership of a business entity. The law actually presumes that someone coming to Texas for purposes of enrolling in college is not domiciled in Texas, though the presumption can be overcome by evidence.

The key point here seems to be that the educational institution is responsible for reviewing the materials presented to determine whether domicile has been established. So if a particular college wants to make it easy to obtain residency, then even with relatively sparse evidence presented, they might still decide that domicile has been established. It sounds like that may be how A&M is approaching it, but other TX colleges might differ. I would try to speak directly with each institution you’re interested in to find out how they interpret the guidelines.

CSUEB does not have EE or ME. However, you are also local to SFSU, which is not impacted, has EE and ME that are not impacted, and defines its local service area as the “State of California”. SFSU can be a local safety if you need one in addition to Arizona State as a more distant safety.

3 Likes

Thanks! Yes, she has a list of other activities that we have kept track of that will fit well with the UC Activities list (not many awards):

• Participated in ACE Mentor program during covid year and worked on a project
  • Has an art portfolio (no competitions, just hobby, but some good work)
  • Math TA for a Math tutoring program for 2 years
  • Couple of years of Tech Theater participation in school - combining art + engineering
  • Election volunteer
  • No awards, but good showing in some Math competitions
2 Likes

I personally think if one needs to buy property to gain residency - it’s not worth the trouble.

A&M is a great school - but there are many great engineering schools where you can get an in-state cost and not have to invest in property. If you have to game the system, it’s not worth it. And it’s more than just property - there’s so many other steps to take.

A&M is attractive - it creates an alumni loyalty like no other school - but - again, tons of great schools out there.

5 Likes

Very easy. Get a merit scholarship. Look at Texas Tech and Angelo State. Both have good engineering programs and if you get auto-merit scholarship then in state is also awarded.

1 Like

and to add, so many other state schools (not just TX) have programs that waive OOS tuition as part of a scholarship - or don’t waive OOS tuition but give you a killer scholarship that’s worth more!!!

So, she did get 4s and 5s in all the APs.
Physics 1 & Calc BC: 4
Eng Lang & Comp Sci Principles: 5

2 Likes

Just so that you know, 4 in Calc BC will count as 2 Bs for First Year Engineering CODA at NCSU. Physics 1 does not count towards engineering credit. Has to be Physics C (Calculus based).
https://www.engr.ncsu.edu/ir/coda-statistics/

1 Like

EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood what CODA is. It’s for changing majors, not admissions…

Thanks! I couldn’t find the info you mentioned in the link. However, very interesting data in the link you sent. # of women is SIGNIFICANTLY lower in most Engineering majors at NCSU. Not sure if girls have any advantage because of this in the admission process…

You can be engineering first year, exploratory studies or any other major. After you take your core classes, you apply for engineering major. The process is described here:
https://www.engr.ncsu.edu/academics/undergrad/coda/#engineering-first-year-students
Gender priority – not that I am aware of.

2 Likes