No class rank school

4 honors math/Spanish classes
2 Dual Enrollment courses English/History
3 AP AP push/calculus/biology- all 4s

Extras-regional champion team football 3 years/all region athlete 2 years

National Honor Society
Deans list

Flight-earning ppl

Community service-dedicated 300+ hours. Boys middle school leader/counselor church group, mission work w homeless 2 summers

Safety school- Middle Georgia State
Target- MTSU
Reach-Purdue

Unsure where he falls w Auburn, Embry Riddle, Baylor

1 Like

This is correct. You’ll get into Midfle Georgia but not Purdue.

But you can try.

There’s many others he can get into as well including ERAU and potentially Auburn but at best a match. . You might look at Florida Tech too. Nicer campus and better food than ETAU. And Ohio U. U N Dakota is tops but yes, it’s N Dakota :slight_smile: not sure about Baylor but it’s very religious - is the student ?

Best of luck.

1 Like

@Jawolf your son goes to a private prep high school. I would suggest you speak to the college counselors there. It’s possible Purdue is a target for students from your school. None of us would have the answer to that.

I would agree Embry Riddle is well worth a look see.

5 Likes

I live in a pilot town in the PNW and everyone here seems to have gone to U of North Dakota. Maybe a great safety addition for your son.

6 Likes

Be sure to meet the EA deadline for Purdue. Flight is one of the most popular majors and closes out early.

That said, I think your son is in the ball park for pro flight in polytechnic. Great that he’s earning his PPL.

6 Likes

My son was considering prof pilot. When we started touring schools it was actually for that major. We didn’t go to UND but in many rankings, it was #1 back then so makes sense. Kind of funny there are rankings. I want the pilot who doesn’t crash :). I mean there’s not best or bad.

So Ohio U, Ohio State. Also Parkland Community in Illinois - took the program over from UIUC. You get certified. Don’t remember how the bachelor works but UIUC had given it up.

There’s also some airline programs with assured jobs now as flight time is pricey.

Anyway for your list Is guess he’d be at Middle Georgia. You should see their placement track record and ensure you understand flight costs. Also see if after they certify if they give the students jobs as flight instructors to help expense.

There’s plenty of options out there - competitive like Purdue and less so like Oklahoma and your in state school.

I remember in the hotel at that time, I asked pilots in line behind me about schooling. One went to Fl Tech. The other Bowling Green. With pilot shortages, I’m guessing all are good. It’s a matter of cost, how long to get certified (some took longer than others) and other majors if they decide it’s not for them. For my son ERAU would have worked because he also liked atmospheric sciences and aero engineering. But if a second interest was sociologist, probably not. Florida Tech was a bit more diverse major wise and had very good food. Thre’s a Fl Tech parent who posts. At ERAU, we asked the student at the info desk - where should we eat - and he said - do you have a car?? That was enough to know it likely wasn’t very good.

Best of luck.

Thanks! Yes pro flight is very popular now. Getting your ppl before 1st semester is highly recommended by most schools we contacted and cost effective as well. Hearing it’s very hard to get flight time at ERAU from pilot friend at United. So Florida Tech is an option. North Dakota is very far away. As in 23 hour drive. Not sure he wants that far. But considering others in OH, OK. Baylor is considered he is active in his church youth group. Auburn is closest to home besides Middle GA.

2 Likes

Thank you! Will do!

Louisiana Tech is another aviation option that you may want to consider, which would be closer to you than Baylor. Your son would be likely to receive good merit aid there.

4 Likes

I think Baylor is a likely for admission, though it will probably be expensive. Not sure what your budget/FA situation is.

2 Likes

Academically Baylor should be a match, and if you are full pay, that could give a boost for admissions as well. It sounds like it might be a good fit socially and culturally - while Baylor is not as comprehensively religious as BYU or Liberty (there are certainly non-religious students who just disregard that aspect of campus), you’ll find plenty of students who were involved in church youth groups during HS and lots of opportunities to be involved in local churches and campus ministries to whatever extent you want.

2 Likes

Take a look at U Nebraska Omaha. New flight simulator and great program. Dorms are nice and it’s easy to get to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.