AP US History A, A (4)
AP Calc AB A, A (5)
Current: AP Gov/Honors Econ, AP Calc BC, AP Enviro Science

Awards
Scholar Athlete

Extracurriculars
4 year high school athlete
Paid job - about 15 hours/week
Key Club and NHS - volunteers with a local organization that feeds elementary school kids who are identified as homeless

**He was identified as being in the top 9% of the state by the UC system so I believe he’s guaranteed asmission to UC Merced.

How likely are acceptances from UCSD, UCI, UCSB, UCD, UCSC, UCR

Thanks!

If he is ELC, his application will be referred to UC Merced if not admitted to any of his choice UC’s but major is not guaranteed. If he wants Engineering, he should apply to UCM as a Likely school.

Here are the 2021 admit rates based on the Capped weighted UC GPA. Competitive majors such as Engineering will have lower overall admit rates than listed.

Campus 4.20+ 3.80-4.19 3.40-3.79 3.00-3.39
Berkeley 30% 11% 2% 1%
Davis 85% 55% 23% 10%
Irvine 60% 31% 14% 1%
Los Angeles 29% 6% 1% 0%
Merced 97% 98% 96% 89%
Riverside 97% 92% 62% 23%
San Diego 72% 25% 2% 0%
Santa Barbara 73% 28% 4% 1%
Santa Cruz 91% 81% 46% 9%

Thanks Gumbymom…so are you saying the only likely school with his stats is Merced? I’m pretty sure UCI, UCSD and UCSB are not likely but was hoping maybe UCSC, UCD and UCR were possible.

Not saying that UCM is the only likely. If he wants to use UCM as a Safety, it would be better to apply directly vs. being referred.

UCR had a 90% admit rate for Bioengineering 2022 and a 69% admit rate for ME so UCR could be a Likely.

UCSC does not offer Mechanical Engineering. Bioengineering had a 2021 admit rate 75%. 2022 Data not posted

UCD does not give specific admit rate data for any majors but could be a Match school

UCI’s 2022 admit rate for Biomedical Engineering was 34.2% and Mechanical Engineering was 15.0%.

No major specific admit data for UCSD, UCSB or UCB.

UCB’s overall College of Engineering admit rate was 7% in 2021.

UCLA’s admit rate for Bioengineering 2021 was 9.8% and Mechanical Engineering was 8.3%.

He is competitive but so are the majority of the Engineering applicants.

As long as he is happy to attend a Safety/Likely school, then he should be fine. Is he only applying to the UC”s?

1 Like

He already has acceptances from Oregon and Colorado State and he will be applying to Cal Poly SLO and Pomona as well as San Diego State and Long Beach. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

I am sure he will have plenty of good options from which to choose.

2 posts were split to a new thread: UC alternate majors if not accepted into Engineering

Do you mean Oregon State, since University of Oregon does not have engineering majors?

Past year admission thresholds for CPP are shown at Freshman Student Profile .

Yes Oregon State

I think that how your son compare to others at your own high school will be a factor and whether or not he has anything “unique” that makes him stand out in the holistic review. I personally feel That the capped GPA averages they share give students a warped sense of their acceptance chances. If the other ME applicants from your high school have an uncapped 4.8, a 4.3 doesn’t look as great anymore. Even though a 4.3 is fabulous of course!!

CSUs should be a good bet but be prepared to be happy with any of these great schools where your son is accepted.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.