Chance my son (Rising Senior) to CalTech/Stanford/UCs/Cal Poly SLO [CS or ME] [attending UCB as EECS major]

When do the new thresholds come out for SJSU? Are these ever revealed before submitting applications so students will know beforehand? Has the threshold stayed the same, or gotten harder each year? I’m wondering how to advise my student for what to declare. Thanks.

SJSU has impaction results for Fall 2022, i dont know if this is the latest: Impaction | Admissions

1 Like

The thresholds for 2023 are not available until after the Fall 2023 admissions are completed. You can use the 2022 thresholds as a guide which are linked in the above post. These are the latest numbers.
The thresholds can vary from year to year based on the competitiveness of each in-coming Freshman class.

Specifically for CS (the last 3 years): 3400,3400,3480
Frankly there is not a lot of room to go up. You can use these numbers.

For the most of the other majors, the impaction is easier to meet. It is more important to pick the right major that the kid really wants to study. Do not rely on getting into the second choice major as it rarely happens.

For Computer/Software Engineering, last year score was 4920. It also takes into consideration Math GPA.

Math Coursework Grade Point Average (GPA) - 400 points x Math GPA

Thank you. So based on last year, would not have made CS (took too many classes which works against you in this formula). So…I think safe to assume won’t get in for this year too since index hasn’t gone down but went up last year considerably-- will assume it stays the same this year. I am thinking will have to declare software or computer engineering then and will look into those majors more specifically to see the differences with CS. Too bad alternate major isn’t really considered and don’t want to chance that.

1 Like

2nd SAT did not end up well for my kid. He got his first admission to University of Pittsburgh(Swanson College of Engineering - CS).

He’s getting his honors essay reviewed and will submit for UPitt Honors college admission.

9 Likes

One in the bank! Congrats!

4 Likes

Congrats. You can also consider Rose-Hulman to see if it is a good fit.

He sent in the app and trying to get Recommendations sent/finalized. Same thing for Miami of Ohio also(needs some info from him).

He got admission into Oregon Tech (CS). His HS is very slow in processing Recommendation letters and Transcripts. Once they send those, I am expecting decisions from Univ of Arizona, Rose Hulman, Missouri S & T and Miami of Ohio.

4 Likes

U of Arizona doesn’t take letters - I don’t believe. Maybe for Honors…but not admission.

I don’t believe Missouri S&T does either - at least their website doesn’t show it.

It was HS Transcript for U of Arizona and Missouri S&T, Rose Hulman and Miami of Ohio.

Also, Miami of Ohio needs Recommendation letter from a HS Counselor or Teacher.

gotcha - even the transcripts are slow. ok - well good luck and congrats on one in the bag

1 Like

Finally, son submitted his UPitt Honors essay today. His HS also sent Transcripts(I hope they are sent electronically).

Does anyone know how much time before colleges acknowledge receiving transcripts? He finalized his recommenders also. Does he need to add them to Common App and they will be sent emails to submit their recommendations.

Also, can the recommendation letters be reused for other colleges if needed? Thanks in advance for your insights.

1 Like

Once they are in the common app, they can be used for any of the schools. For schools which only need one recommendation you can select which one to use.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Confusion! changed high school

Almost done with CSU App - Son will be applying to Cal Poly SLO, Pomona and SJSU. Did Algebra 1 and Accelerated Math/2 years Spanish in Middle School. Has lot of hours in Work Experience (Not major related), Leadership positions.

Cal Poly SLO - Computer Science/Computer Engineering
Cal Poly Pomona- Computer Science/Mathematics - Applied Mathematics/Statistics
SJSU - Computer Science/Aerospace Engineering

CSU GPA is 4.33 and 25 years of A-G.

I want to get advice if his choices are Ok for admission chances.

My advice is that he should apply to his first choice major. Other than CPP, alternate majors are not usually considered unless there is room after all admission offers have been made.

For Cal Poly SLO, I have never seen an applicant selected for an alternate major in the College of Engineering however, I have seen applicants that were denied from their first choice Engineering major and admitted for Majors such as Math, Stats, Physics.
Since he is selecting Applied Math/Stats at CPP, this might be a better strategy for SLO also.

SJSU also states that alternate majors are only considered if there is room available so no guarantee Aerospace Engineering will have room even if he is well over the threshold. Why Aerospace vs. Computer Engineering since CE would have some overlap with CS?