Looking forward to understand my chances in California colleges [CPSLO and UCs, CA resident, 3.8 GPA, CS]

Demographics

• US Citizen
  • Southern California resident
  • Oak Park High School - Junior

Intended Major(s)
Computer Science

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.8
  • Weighted HS GPA: 4.1

My favorite college: Cal Poly San Louis Obispo @CalPolySL0

I would like to know my chances at this college as well as UCs

Please let me know if you want more info.

@Gumbymom

For UCs, consider the following:

Recalculate your HS GPA with GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub . Use the weighted capped version for the table below.

Fall 2022 admission rates by campus and HS GPA range from Freshman fall admissions summary | University of California :

Campus 4.00+ 3.70-3.99 3.30-3.69 3.00-3.29
Berkeley 17% 3% 1% 0%
Davis 58% 20% 5% 2%
Irvine 35% 10% 3% 0%
Los Angeles 13% 2% 1% 0%
Merced 97% 97% 95% 85%
Riverside 95% 83% 42% 17%
San Diego 37% 8% 1% 0%
Santa Barbara 41% 8% 3% 0%
Santa Cruz 69% 45% 16% 4%

These are for the whole campus. Different divisions or majors may have different levels selectivity (usually, engineering and computer science majors are more selective).

Cal Poly SLO uses 9-11th grades for the a-g courses with an 8 semester Honors point cap for UC approved Honors, AP/IB or DE classes taken 10-11th grades. SLO’s CS estimated admit rate for 2022 was 9%. You can use the Rogerhub UC GPA calculator posted above and include your 9th grades for the SLO GPA. College of Engineering Freshman Profile GPA 2022: 4.17 – 4.25

For the UC’s, here is the CS admit rates for 2022 if available. There is no specific GPA data available for the CS admits.

Calculate all 3 UC GPA’s using the Rogerhub calculator. UC’s tend to be very unpredictable and CS is highly competitive at all the campuses so make sure you apply broadly.

The UC’s consider 13 areas of criteria and GPA, Personal Insight essays and HS course rigor are very important.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-freshman/how-applications-are-reviewed.html

Campus CS
Berkeley 2.9% L&S
Davis No data but <20%
Irvine 5.8%
Los Angeles 3.8%
Merced 85%
Riverside 36%
San Diego No data but <10%
Santa Barbara No data but <10%
Santa Cruz 60%

For Likely schools, consider some of the other Cal states which are not impacted or possibly your local in-service area CSU where students get priority.

CS is a highly marketable degree so you do not need to go to a top school to be successful.

Oak Park is in Ventura County. The nearest CSUs are Channel Islands and Northridge. Channel Islands is not impacted, and lists “State of California” as its local area. Northridge is impacted and no longer includes Ventura County in its local area. Northridge does show what last year’s admissions thresholds were at https://www.csun.edu/prospective-students/freshman-impaction .

Other non-impacted CSUs are Bakersfield, Maritime Academy (but no CS), San Francisco, Sonoma, and Stanislaus.

The non-impacted CSUs will admit if the major is not impacted (CS is not impacted at the above-named campuses) and the applicant meets minimum CSU admission requirements.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot ucbalumnus, Gumbymom, and thumper1.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.