Chances for A&M

Hello, what do you think my daughters chances are of getting full admission to A&M?

Rank- 60/477 12%
New SAT- 1310 660 Writing/650 Math
GPA- 3.9 unweighted, 4.8 weighted
Lots of volunteer hours, plays softball on High School team (3 years), AP classes, NHS, FCA, Student Council, other clubs and works part time.

Oh, Major is Economics/Political Science.

Any review candidate should have a backup plan in place. It is very competitive for those last few slots beyond the automatic admits. Your D has a chance for automatic admission - there are still two test dates left. I would highly consider taking the exams. A lower score will not hurt her chances here, but a higher score will increase her chances. I would invest the time & effort to retake exams, the chances of review admits gaining full admission is small, as about 12% of that pool is given full admission.

I would say she is competitive for admission as is, but why not re-take and know that you took every opportunity available to gain full admission, provided this is her goal. Many review admits are very close to academic admit standards - some only missing by score minimums for each section. Her ECs look good based on your listing, it will come down to essays and the number of available slots for review candidates. You can also submit two recommendations to help her application file.

If it were my daughter, I would sign up for one more test date & concentrate on the math sections - much easier to raise math scores than english based ones - get a review book,sign up for a review course or go online to review. There are math courses to take in her major, so it would not be a waste of review - she will need those basic math skills to build on for the future courses.

Majors are not considered in the admission process, once you gain admission to the university you may pick any open major (with the new exception of engineering which would require an additional review). Her major selection is traditionally not quick to fill, so if she gains admission through review chances are good she will get her major.

One other note: if she does gain full admission, you also have to take a math placement exam - reviewing math concepts will also help her to get placement into the higher math courses.

My daughter got in!!! She is so excited!