Chances for son?

<p>We live in VA, and son is going to be in his senior year. </p>

<p>Daughter was admitted to University Studies with a 3.6 UW GPA + AP/IB courses + 2070/1400 SAT, she will be a 5th year senior and says that admissions is much more competitive now than when she applied in 2010.</p>

<p>Son is interested in engineering and will most likely apply ED as of right now.
3.90 UW/4.58 Weighted GPA
Lots of AP and IB classes (1 freshman year, 2 sophomore year, 7 junior year and 7 senior year)
2100 SAT (wasn't initially planning on retaking but might after hearing daughter's opinion on admission)
Ranked in top 30 of class
Has taken a study hall every year, which makes him seem "less competitive" than other students in his HS
No athletics in high school, minimal involvement in student council and school activities, no academic clubs</p>

<p>If there are any parents or students who have gone through this process in the past year or so who could provide advice, son and I would greatly appreciate it.</p>

<p>I think your son looks like a strong candidate. Strong GPA, rigorous curriculum (the study hall is outweighed by all the AP/IB classes), and decent test scores. Surely he has some summer or volunteer activities worth mentioning.</p>

<p>For the College of Engineering your son’s Math score will be particularly important. If the 2100 includes a high Math score then I think he’s a strong candidate regardless of the activities.</p>

<p>Agree with others above. Based on his strong UW GPA, class rigor and SAT scores, he appears to be a strong Engineering candidate. Math SAT is very important along with having taken AP Calc and AP Physics, if offered. VT places the most weight on the above 2 and uses extra-curricular, etc. in swaying if “on the line”.</p>

<p>I think your son is a strong candidate. Like the others said, math portion of SAT is critical and having taken the available AP courses if offered. Tech likes to see you put in the effort if the option is there. </p>

<p>I am going to agree with everyone on academics…but I strongly suggest you get him involved in some community service or extra curricular. Since the VT motto is UT Prosim I would imagine that this is very important in the admissions process. </p>

<p>This info is a few years dated, but there are definitely some students who get admitted who don’t do any service/extracurricular/leadership experience. They were strong candidates academically, so not doing much may not have hurt their admission chances, but they weren’t able to get an scholarships.</p>