Chances for UCLA and UC Santa Barbara?

I really would appreciate it if people with an intensive knowledge of these schools could give me advice/a realistic chance for UCLA and UCSB. Please do NOT sugarcoat it. I am a second-semester junior, so I still have time to improve my SAT/EC’s.

SAT Superscore = 1420 (740 R + 680 M)
Highest One-Sitting SAT = 1380 (700 + 680 M)

4.0 Unweighted GPA = 3.90
Weighted 4.0 GPA = 4.25

UC Unweighted GPA = 4.0
UC Weighted GPA = 4.50
UC Weighted & Capped GPA = 4.50

Number of AP Classes = 10
(AP Gov (5), APES (4), AP World (3), AP Lang (No Score Yet), AP US History (No Score Yet), AP Micro (No Score Yet), AP Macro (Not Taking Exam), AP Lit (No Score Yet), AP Psych (No Score Yet), AP Calc AB (No Score Yet), AP Physics (No Score Yet)

Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia
Race/Gender: White Female
Income Level: $200K+
School Type: 2 years public, 2 years online

EC’s:

• 4 years club soccer
  • Started newspaper at my online school
  • 4 years mission trip to Guatemala
  • 2 years volunteer tutor for Guatemalan refugee children in USA
  • Ran a marathon
  • 3 years of coaching job + leadership + community involvement
  • Raised around $5K for charity on my own
  • Run my own blog

Intended Major:
UCLA = Business Economics
UCSB = Financial Mathematics & Statistics

Idrk what I’m talking about but I would say your gpa is in an excellent location unweighted but the fact that your capped and not capped are the same indicate that your course load might not have been hard enough for you which could be a negative. Sat is a little low but not out of the question at all. I feel like you have a really good shot especially at Santa Barbara. LA I feel like is a bit harder to tell just because of how competitive it is but your definitely in the range of accepted students. Good Luck!

1. The Capped weighted UC GPA calculation maximum is 4.4 not 4.5.

2. UC’s take the highest test score from a single sitting, no super scoring.

3. Based on your family’s income, paying for the UC’s will not be an issue?

Academically you are competitive for UCSB. For UCLA, you will want to bump up your test scores into the 1400+ range at least and consider it a Reach school regardless of your qualifications.

Some UC statistical data below. This is based on overall percentiles and non-major related. OOS applicants require a higher level of stats for admission.

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:
UCLA: 41%
UCSB: 80%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range:
UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.32)
UCSB: 4.16 (4.04-4.28)

2019 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
UCLA: 1330-1550
UCSB: 1280-1520

Best of luck.

Thank you! I know my SAT is on the lower range so I am trying to bring it up before this fall.

I used the RogerHub UC GPA calculator and it gave me a 4.5 for my capped GPA, should I use a different website? I took 6 classes in both sophomore year and junior year (12 total) and I got an A in all 12, plus 5 of them were AP (so considered “honors”).

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:
UCLA: 41%
UCSB: 80%

Is this ^ for all applicants or just OOS?

I use the Rogerhub calculator so you inputted 24 A’s for the 12 classes (using semesters? ) and 10 points for the AP’s or did you use a different scale than semesters?

The admit rates are based on 2018 applicants overall (most recent data) and not specific for OOS applicants. In general, OOS applicants have a higher admit rate but also higher admit GPA and test score thresholds.

UCLA for example does not show the OOS percentiles for the Capped weighted UC GPA but for the Fully weighted and Unweighted along with test scores. UCSB does not breakout the OOS vs. In-state admit information.

OOS admit information (25th-75th percentile):
Unweighted GPA: 3.93-4.00
Fully weighted GPA: 4.46-4.86
SAT scores: 1440-1550

You posted this in the University of Southern Califirnia forum.

@TomSrOfBoston: I have flagged the post to be moved to the UC General forum.