Chances

<p>Applying for computer science; out of state.</p>

<p>ACADEMIA:</p>

<p>Freshman GPA: 3.52
Sophomore GPA: 3.52
Junior GPA: 3.75 W, 3.7 UW
Overall GPA: About 3.6 (My school does not inflate GPA's. The median GPA of my class is a 3.2). Although my school does not officially rank, I would say I'm in the top 3rd of my class.)</p>

<p>SAT Critical Reading: 610
SAT Math: 680
SAT Writing: 680
Total: 1970</p>

<p>AP Courses:
Biology
Computer Science A
Economics</p>

<p>EXTRACURRICULAR:</p>

<p>President of Support our Soldiers Club (10,11,12)
-Interviewed WW2 Veteran, contributed to National Archive, spoke @ school assemblies</p>

<p>Red Cross Volunteer (8,9,10,11,12)
-Office management, computer database organization, phone duty, etc.</p>

<p>Varsity Swimming (9,10,11,12)
-Not a recruit!</p>

<p>Member of School Atmosphere Committee(11,12; Club was founded last year)
-Group of students selected by faculty
-Helped create a video to send to New England Board of Accreditation to display information about our school
-Spread word about school ideals and beliefs in various ways</p>

<p>HOOKS:</p>

<p>I am of Hispanic descent.</p>

<p>Can pay full OOS tuition for 4 years.</p>

<p>Somewhere in that broad middle range. Say 50-50 or so.</p>

<p>100% you will get in. UW is a safety for you. good luck</p>

<p>I think you are grossly wrong.</p>

<p>Stats look like barrons states- maybe/maybe not. Improved grades do help junior year. NEVER a guarantee for getting in, even with better stats- an example of this was a couple of years ago per a CC poster. Essays can make or break a student’s chances despite excellent stats- you need to show your strong interest.</p>

<p>In most schools Hispanic descent makes a big difference.</p>

<p>Not that big and UW has been getting more of them (twice as many as AAs) so the advantage may be declining. The admit rate for H students is close to that for whites–a bit less. The admit rate has dropped from nearly 80% to 55% over the last 10 years. I think a truly disadvantaged inner city H might get more boost than a suburban upper middleclass H.</p>

<p>I think propane will get in regardless of his race. If I were him I would apply to the eight ivy league schools, they do take race into account.</p>

<p>Hispanic is not really a race. There are very white Hispanics all over South America, Central America, the USA etc and many are from old wealthy families. Same for Cuba, Puerto Rico and other islands. Then there are permutations of mixed race. “Hispanic” is the only minority without a real race characteristic to go with it. And even some Ivy schools know that and differentiate. Takes more than just a Spanish last name these days in many cases.
Now the pay thing–that’s good.</p>

<p>Thank you, barrons.</p>

<p>@justwaiting1: Can’t tell if trolling, or actually serious.</p>

<p>There is no way I am Ivy material, and there is no way UW-Madison is a safety for me.</p>

<p>I understand because i come from that background. My brother’s kids got no visible help from being Hispanic as they also are solidly upper middleclass from a nice NJ suburb.</p>

<p>I know that 'Hispanic" is not a race. I view hispanic as not white. I have friends that are from spain (they went to Columbia University) they are white. The last time I checked the application it doesn’t ask if you are middleclass. If Hispanic is a factor in admissions then you can obtain admission into those schools that take it into consideration. Ivy league schools do consider Hispanic as a factor. I agree that you are not in the IVY league acceptance range, but Hispanic will have some impact.</p>

<p>I’d say you have a solid chance, probably 70%+. Good luck=)</p>

<p>Well JW1, you might need some additional education. This seems pretty accurate.</p>

<p>[White</a> Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans]White”>White Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia)</p>

<p>Justwaiting- you need to update your people profiling. Back in my childhood eons ago we learned about “races”- Caucasian, Mongloid and Negroid. Those old classifications are no longer valid. Ethnic groups do seem valid as they do determine physical features and/or cultural backgrounds. Is a person with brown skin Hispanic, “light skinned” Black or Indian, or even Native American? How do you decide if a swarthy Italian is white and a north Indian with lighter skin tones is not? Why is anyone with far less than 50% African ancestry considered African American and no attention is paid to their European roots? Ethnic origins do have a large influence on opportunities in the United States, hence the attention paid to some minority groups. Not all Asians, even those considered “Oriental” (as opposed to those from the Indian subcontinent) are disadvantaged, but some, such as many Hmong, are.</p>

<p>Off topic, but…</p>

<p>The whole concept of race is pretty flawed and really should be dropped in favor of referring to people in terms of ethnic groups and in turn their ethnicity whenever possible. For instance, you can intelligently talk about the challenges that African-Americans face as an ethnic group, but when you start talking in terms of “blacks” you’re on a slippery, poorly defined slope. The challenges and characteristics of, to pick a group, Kenyans, who might study in the U.S. away from their home country are far different from African-Americans, and yet if you were to use a racial description (i.e. using skin color) you would immediately lump them together.</p>

<p>i think you have a pretty good chance, but it depends what you are going for. scores and classes seem to fit the standard madison criterium, as well as your extra curriculars…good luck! </p>

<p>tell me my chances!!</p>

<p>just waiting hispanic doesnt mean not white
i am caucasian but of hispanic descent i guess
one side is spanish and the other half german
however the german half was from ww2 immigrants in mexico
so im technically mexican [2 of my grandparents born there(spanish side) and (german side)1 parent] though im probably 95% caucasian im considered hispanic so you see i have a bit of an identity crisis lol anyways my point is that hispanic doesnt mean not white there are plenty of caucasian people in mexico and south america predominantly of spanish descent </p>

<p>though on a few apps i have seen there is seperate checkboxes for spanish and latino and some clarifying that spanish ( from spain) is included in the hispanic category</p>

<p>hope that helped…</p>

<p>Off subject . I would be curious if anyone had a link to the president grades. I know that many have said that George W Bush wasn’t smart, but he had higher grades than Gore and Kerry. I wonder if he would have been accepted to UW???</p>

<p>Times have changed since past and present presidents went to college. Many from their generations would not get accepted to their colleges today due to the much larger numbers of applicants and changes in race/gender- competition/application pools are vastly different. Grading perhaps different as well. For example, UW went from only A, B, C grades to A, AB, B, BC, C grades after my freshman year. This would change a gpa. You also would have to take into account grading norms as well, such as curves, percentages that generate grades… You can add in AP course credit as a change in courses needed in college as well. Comparing grades- apples and oranges…</p>

<p>Students may want to check with their parents about their college planning experiences. I know that in my day where you lived determined if you were likely to consider college. Many students from the Madison area chose a four year college instead of tech school while in other cities the reverse was common. </p>

<p>You can waste hours contemplating combinations and permutations. Likewise with predicting your chances of acceptance. Look at the stats fro entering students and see where you fall. Spend more time studying than on CC to improve your chances.</p>