Changing to engineering (didn't apply for it)

<p>I was admitted to the College of Science for Mathematics, but I never actually intended on going to VT. However, now they keep giving me incentives like scholarships, University Honors, etc., that keeps making it seem more and more feasible. The problem is that I now want to go into computer science and minor in mathematics. This would require changing to the engineering college. At UVA, I simply emailed the admission dean and he switched me to engineering from CAS without an issue. However, online research has shown me that at VT it is a longer process that involves taking a semester of courses before transferring, etc. I do not want to be behind at all entering the college, so this is a major deterrent. Is there any way that it would be possible for me to switch before fall? I didn't apply to engineering and wasn't deferred to a secondary program like some students. Had I applied originally applied for engineering at VT, I know that I would have been accepted to the program. Can I get my application reevaluated?</p>

<p>You can always ask Admissions if it’s possible. I’m assuming that your stats are good enough that they would have admitted you to Engineering if you had specified that College on your application. So, from their point of view…why not? I’m not sure I’d bother though until you are certain that you would attend if they made the switch.</p>

<p>Honors is nice but not worth it IMO if you wouldn’t otherwise want to be at VT. On the + side, you only need to add one math class to add a Math minor to your CS degree at VT. Good luck with your decision - (I can’t remember are you deciding UVA, GT, VT, USC or was it some other group of schools?)</p>

<p>USC, VT, UVA, NYU, and Johns Hopkins. USC is my first choice, but both it and JHU are too expensive. I could attend but the loans are not worth it. It’s really between UVA and VT. NYU is affordable and has an amazing math program, but I visited and the lack of a real campus feel was a huge turn off.</p>

<p>Keep in mind VT’s Honor’s program requires you to keep a GPA of 3.5. That can be a tall order in the e’school. Forget what you know about GPA from hs, college is a whole new game. Pick VT if you love it without Honor’s because you may or may not continue in the program. I’m not trying to insult you at all. I’m giving you the same advise I gave my son a year ago.</p>

<p>Don’t do honors engineering. Just write an extra paper for half your classes and burn it; all of the headache and all of the utility.</p>

<p>No you can’t just transfer into engineering. If you take the engineering class at the local community college while attending VT you can make it through without getting behind.</p>

<p>I don’t know if those 1000 ENG intro courses are prerequisites for any of the CS classes. If not, then the delay in taking second one wouldn’t hold you up for finishing your degree. That is, you could take all the courses you need but not be officially in the College of Engineering.</p>

<p>Here is the Draft Checksheet for 2015 Computer Science <a href=“http://www.cs.vt.edu/files/files/Checksheets/CSMajorChecksheet2015.pdf[/url]”>http://www.cs.vt.edu/files/files/Checksheets/CSMajorChecksheet2015.pdf&lt;/a&gt;. It looks like ENGE 1024 and ENGE 1104 are required freshman classes. The Mechanical Engineering Department has a nifty Degree Path Sheet that shows the course prerequisites in a graphical form so you can see the prerequisites and how it they might affect your graduation date but I have not seen one for other degrees - you might need to look up the courses in the timetable to see the prereqs.</p>

<p>The prerequisite for the first CS course, CS 1114, is either ENGE 1024 or programming experience. If you would like to take a CS course your first semester (most students take CS 1114 their second semester), you can email one of the CS advisers and they should be able to sign you up if you tell them you have programmed before. You could also take CS 1124 as a substitute, which has no prerequisites, but if you haven’t done Java programming before, you may be at a disadvantage when you take CS 2114 later. If you already have credit for CS 1114, from APs or otherwise, you may be able to jump right in to CS 2114.</p>

<p>Thanks. I sent an email, but I’m not expecting anything I haven’t heard here. Although I’m still bent on UVA at the moment, I will be visiting VT this weekend.</p>