Charity work: Nursing vs Biology

<p>I feel really split right now.
My parents want me to go into Nursing, but my friends, teachers, and counselor wants me to go into pre-med/Biology. </p>

<p>At this point, my ultimate goal is to work for the United Nations, Medical Teams International, or the World Health Organization in order to provide international medical relief. My parents absolutely LOATH this idea, and just want me to make a stable income, and settle down...which is understandable....but not me at all. </p>

<p>I'm leaning more towards the Nursing school because it seems safer, and I heard that nursing school actually gives more flexibility, aka you can take the MCAT after and transfer to med-school, or become a pediatrician.... </p>

<p>I have applied to a couple of nursing schools as well as non nursing schools, to keep my options open (although I've heard nursing schools are easier to get into then the actual school itself...?):
University of Pennsylvania - School of nursing
Gonzaga University (Accepted w/ Merit S) - School of nursing (no response yet)
University of Portland - School of nursing (Accepted w/ Merit S)
Georgetown University - School of nursing
Rice University - Biology
Duke University - Biology
Cornell University - Biology or Human biology in College of Human Ecology (parents probs won't let me go to College of Human Ecology though)
UC Berkley - Biology
Carnegie Mellon - Because I love the school. </p>

<p>Can you help me figure how I should continue my next couple of years of education in order to fulfill my ultimate goal? As well as where I should go, and my chances of getting in where I applied...</p>

<p>In most cases, the nursing schools are harder to get into than the actual schools. At least in California.</p>

<p>And personally, I don’t think you should go into nursing if you’re planning on being a doctor. Most nursing schools are crazy impacted and with a national shortage of nurses, it would make no sense for someone who wants to be a nurse to take a spot in a nursing school instead of someone who really wants to be a nurse.</p>

<p>And international medical relief sounds so exciting, good luck with that! (:</p>

<p>@hairypotter: It sounds like you should go to a school where you have the option of transferring out of the nursing major if it is not for you. Of the schools you applied to, I would say Georgetown will likely give you the strongest education for a career in global health, as they actually have an undergraduate degree program in global health. If you are admitted as a nursing major, please be sure that you want to go into nursing. A nursing degree is NOT a pre-med degree, and you cannot just take the MCAT afterwards and apply to med school. You would likely need to apply as a second degree student, attend a university from 1.5 to 2 years, and complete all the prereqs for medicine.</p>

<p>Since you have already applied to nursing schools, you could change your major when you enroll so that someone on the waiting list can take your nursing spot if you are not interested in nursing. Otherwise, it would likely be good for you to take a semester of nursing classes so you have a good idea of the opportunities for global health positions within the profession. </p>

<p>Which of these schools have you heard back from? And have you applied for financial aid?</p>

<p>Should I also put in my stats/application info so you can judge where I can get in and fit in better?</p>

<p>At this point, I know I probably don’t want to be a doctor (just using the doctor thing as an example), but I want to be a nurse, but beyond the 4 years of nursing school, probably more - masters or bachalors perhaps. I like school, and so I want to learn as much as possible. Somebody suggested Nurse anesthetist, but I don’t know how that would fit into the picture I’m trying to paint right now.</p>

<p>I just heard back from Gonzaga School of Nursing today. I got in.
I also got accepted at the University of Portland School of Nursing, both good nursing schools for the West. Both schools gave me very generous merit scholarships</p>

<p>I have filled out and submitted the CSS/PROFILE, FAFSA (Submitted January 1st, 12:20 AM :slight_smile: ) and the financial aid for Cornell.</p>

<p>Rank: 64/475
Academic GPA: 3.67 unweighted, 4.99 weighted
SAT/ACT: 31 ACT, 2120 SAT (670 CR, 750 Math, 700 Wr)
Chinese: 790
English: 660
Math II: 670 </p>

<p>IB Anthropology: 5 (first year ANTHRO is offered at my school)
IB Math SL: 5 (taken year after course)
Course load: Full IB diploma candidate –> 12 IB classes Junior and Senior year, 1 IB class sophomore year (they made an exception for me), completed all math classes offered Junior year (3 years ahead of curriculum) </p>

<p>Gender: Female
Race: Asian
Recs: Extremely Good - I have really good relationships with my teachers
Essays: Excellent? Really tells them about my personality</p>

<p>Completed Art Supplement: fairly good
Quality of Art Supplement Rec: Really good. My teacher obviously spent a lot of time in it, and really highlighted my personality as well as my art pieces</p>

<p>ECs:

• Started own charity club at school and two other schools: 3 years
  • Student leadership 2 years: ASB Philanthropist
  • Met with state legislature for three days to discuss future economy, environment, and education –> new educational bill to be passed under my name
  • School Christian club founder and president
  • NHS (officer)
  • Link Crew
  • MUN
  • Violinist for America’s First Youth Orchestra - 5 years
  • State top violinist
  • Marketing Student of the Year
  • State Marketing award - 2nd place
  • Volunteered 40+ hours tutoring underprivileged children.
  • Chinese Language school
  • Chinese Speech Competition 2 years winner
  • State Art Award (was not included in application because not awarded until last week)</p>

<p>Work:
English Tutor @ Brainchild tutoring center</p>

<ul>
<li>My grades are extremely low because I had to take a lot of time off sophomore and junior year to help my mom’s business to support the family here and in China. I did not mention it in my application because I didn’t want to seem whiny, but my counselor will mention it.- My rank is also low because IB curriculum there are SL classes and HL classes, Sl classes generally easier to get a grade, and I’m taking all HL classes. </li>
<li>2nd generation Chinese immigrant.</li>
<li>Did not study or take classes for SAT or ACT, just kind of walked in and didn’t really know what to expect, probably should have studied though ):</li>
<li>Sent in art supplement, but missed deadline for music supplement (no longer have violin teacher)</li>
<li>No hooks ):</li>
</ul>

<p>Did you apply to Georgetown’s International Health or Nursing? They are both through the NHS division but you need to specify for admissions. They only take around 40 - 50 kids for the IH program - more for Nursing.</p>

<p>I applied for the “School of Nursing and Health Studies”.</p>

<p>I think I applied to nursing… I don’t exactly recall selecting or choosing International Health or Nursing though.</p>

<p>Sorry - must have changed in the last 3 years - when my d applied she had to pick one of the four sub-groups in NHS.</p>

<p>I am a freshman at Gonzaga this year, and I am in the exact same boat you are. I actually have a post (<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/901515-where-transfer-fall-2010-a.html#post1064543483[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/901515-where-transfer-fall-2010-a.html#post1064543483&lt;/a&gt;) asking advice for where to transfer (for reasons other than academics, though the biology and chemistry departments at Gonzaga have frustrated me a bit). Right now, if I end up stuck at Gonzaga, I will be staying 5 years and getting a nursing degree, international relations minor, and fulfill the pre-med requirements as well, just in case. However, I am looking into PA, I heard that might be an option. Just to let you know, at Gonzaga, you have to apply for the nursing school at the end of your sophomore year, and it is really competitive to get in (only about 1/2 applicants are accepted). Keep an update on what you find out and what you are thinking, because I am curious to know. You are the first student I have heard of who is thinking the same thing as me with international health. Just to let you know, my nursing advisor does think this is a great idea, but I am meeting with pre-med and international studies advisors also to see whether it is actually doable or even worth it for just an undergrad degree</p>