ChemE questions

<p>I'm an international admitted student to undergraduate UW -- engineering department.</p>

<p>I have heard that the first year of engineering is just general engineering, then the second year we get to select the field which we desire to go to.
From this, I have the concern that there must be some students who won't make it to the field they want due to the limited space of the field. So, if any one could tell me how hard it is to get into Chemical Engineering at UW? Would there be any possible problems?</p>

<p>Another thing I'm anxious about is that the number of years it take to graduate for Chemical Engineering. I heard that it takes typically five years.I have always had the mindset that undergraduate would take four years. It appalled me when I find out that it would take me five, or possibly six years. How hard is it to graduate in four years? Is it even possible in three years?</p>

<p>Thank you in advance for all replies.</p>

<p>The best site for your answers is the UW College of Engineering site of the UW website. Many of your freshman/sophomore courses will actually be in the College of Letters and Sciences- math, chemistry, physics… You will be a pre-engineering student and need to get at least a 2.5 gpa in the required courses to be admitted to the College of Engineering. Looking at the Chem E site it appears there is room for all who qualify- some majors are limited by space available and can be competitive. If you are a transfer student you may have also applied to the engineering college as well as the university as a whole. </p>

<p>The level of difficulty you perceive will depend on your background knowledge of course material and your ability to learn. Given the number of lab science and engineering courses required I doubt less than four years should be planned (math majors are lucky, they get a credit for every in class hour spent- chemistry is notorious for 2 credit labs with 8 or 9 class hours per week). Others can tell you how often students spend more than four years.</p>

<p>I am international students from China and I also plan to graduate in 3years. My major is mechanical engineering. HOPE TO MEET YOU IN CLASS!!</p>

<p>alright Cqbzgjx, hope to see u too. and good luck with the three years plan. If possible, I’d wish to do that too. Are you planning to take classes during all the summers too?</p>

<p>Why are you intent on only 3 years, guys??? Plan to enjoy your stay in the US and Madison- leave room in your schedule for the cultural aspect of life, not just the books. Remember to live your life in the fullest, not just use the time for the future preparation. There will be time for your career the rest of your life.</p>

<p>you going to pay the extra year’s tuition, wis75?</p>

<p>go home…please</p>

<p>Ignore novaparent- rude posts, no helpful info, has an antiUW agenda.</p>

<p>Actually, the course catalog has a “timeline” of sorts for engineering students: <a href=“Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison”>Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison;

<p>It basically shows you how a typical student completes the requirements for the engineering degrees, and it assumes you usually take 16-17 credits per semester. With those assumptions, it takes 8 semesters. So, I think it’s pretty hard to finish in 3 years without extensive AP credit. </p>

<p>However, those timelines assume you have no calculus/chem/physics etc., credits coming in, which I suspect many engineering students have. It just depends if you think you can handle 16-17 credits a semester (quite a bit for engineering) while still having an enjoyable time at college.</p>

<p>The best plan would be to count on four years and see how it goes once you’re on campus taking classes. Remember to allow time for living your life with time for more than just the books. One question you could ask yourself is- and not trying to be morbid, but rather, philosophical- if I died tomorrow would my life have been worth living? If all you are doing is preparing for some future the answer may be no as you never got to finish the task needed to do the living you envision. If you live your life to the fullest, including studying, you will have made the best use of your time - whether it is a short or long life. For some the studying IS their life- they enjoy it, for others it is the means to the desired life, if that is the case be sure to allow yourself some enjoyment as well. Life is a series of experiences- will you be able to look back decades in the future and remember your college experiences as a good time in your life or something you endured?</p>