Chicago Area Special (Recruiting) Reception

<p>A special reception for prospective students and their families will be held on October 10 in Lombard. I won’t have all the details until this weekend but will update the post when I do have them.</p>

<p>Parents of current UA students are encouraged to attend to speak to the prospective students/parents.</p>

<p>DD, wife and I will be attending on the 10th. </p>

<p>About a year ago, UA had just come to our attention so we attended the big college fair in downtown Chicago since UA would be there. We had a great conversation with Bethany (the regional representative) who invited us to attend the Lombard reception which has scheduled for about two weeks later. We attended last year’s reception - it was very informative - Dean Carr, the parents and students all did a great job. We subsequently visited Tuscaloosa twice and DD is now accepted for next fall and UA is her #1 choice.</p>

<p>If you are in the Chicago area and considering UA - try to attend.</p>

<p>Hey - how did my reply get posted before the OP and get back dated to the 25th?</p>

<p>CC apparently has some malware. Some posts are appearing out of order and with the wrong time stamp.</p>

<p>If you are a parent of a current UA student and plan to attend the reception in Lombard, can you please post?</p>

<p>I am a parent of a current Freshman; we live in western suburbs. Did IL parents of existing students receive an invitation to go along and speak to prospective parents? We did not.</p>

<p>I’ve only heard about the reception on this thread. We did attend last year and it was very worthwhile.</p>

<p>Not a reception, but in Milwaukee on Sunday (Sept 30) is a college fair at the Frontier Airline Center Noon to 3:00pm. Bama will be there.</p>

<p>If you are a current Bama parent and would like to speak at an event, you might want to send an email to <a href=“mailto:rick.funk@ua.edu”>rick.funk@ua.edu</a> and ask what you need to do.</p>

<p>Aeromom, please consider this your invitation. I was asked to spread the word.</p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up. We are about 3.5 hrs north of Chicago and it’s mid-week so unfortunately it’s not going to work out.</p>

<p>Riprorin, last year there was also a reception in Milwaukee the night after the one in the Chicago area. The same recruiter (Bethany Forrest) arranged both. If Milwaukee would be more convenient, you could shoot Bethany an e-mail and see if there’s a Milwaukee reception this year.</p>

<p>Thanks, Milwaukee would be slightly more convenient. Do you have her email address?</p>

<p>riprorin - there’s a college fair tomorrow in Milwaukee.</p>

<p>Here’s Bethany’s info</p>

<p>[Bethany</a> Forrest - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://gobama.ua.edu/staff/counselor.cfm?id=53]Bethany”>http://gobama.ua.edu/staff/counselor.cfm?id=53)</p>

<p>Also, here’s the sign up link for the Milwaukee reception but I don’t when/where it’s being held</p>

<p>[RSVP</a> for Student Reception - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://www.gobama.ua.edu/milwaukee-reception]RSVP”>http://www.gobama.ua.edu/milwaukee-reception)</p>

<p>riprorin, did you get a reply from Bethany?</p>

<p>Chicago event details:
Wednesday, October 10
7:00
Harry Caray ballroom at the Westin in Lombard, IL</p>

<p>Dean Karr will be speaking as well as a current parent (not me!!) and a current student</p>

<p>If you are a parent of a current student, you are encouraged to attend and answer questions from prospective parents. If you do plan to do, please PM your name so I can get it on the parent list (for parents of current students - prospective parents should RSVP the regular way).</p>

<p>I went last year and helped out, it was a lot of fun to see the enthusiasm of the prospective students and parents. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>The Milwaukee reception is at 7:00 pm on Oct 11 at Discovery World (right next to the Milwaukee Art Museum along the lake front).</p>

<p>BTW: Bama should have a link on their website to “find local events in your area”. If they do, it is not easy to find.</p>

<p>Bumping for a reminder of tomorrow’s reception. Any parents of current students who want to come can PM their names so I can pass them along to the UA coordinators. Parents of prospective students, please come say Hi to me. I can introduce you to the UA alum who will be in attendance.</p>

<p>Just got back from the Chicago special reception. It was a great evening at the Westin in Lombard. I would guess there were about 200 - 250 people in attendance. Dean Karr gave a great presentation about the university - his passion for Bama was very evident. He was followed by a Chicago area junior at Alabama who gave a very nice talk. She was followed by her father who gave a parent’s perspective. The regional representative Bethany concluded the evening. </p>

<p>It was nice to meet Class2012Mom and other parents and alumni - there were many present to assist.</p>

<p>ChicagoBear is correct (nice to chat with you!). It was a very well attended event. About 70 - 80 students picked up name tags. Laurel from the Chicago alumni introduced Dean Karr who gave a rousing talk. </p>

<p>Thanks to all of you on CC, I was able to answer all but one question parents and students had for me (the one I couldn’t answer related to ACT testing and foreign language requirements for a student on an IEP). </p>

<p>I expect to see a few new Chicago area parent names on here soon. :)</p>