Child applied “Regular Decision” and meant “Early Action”

Not even sure how it happened as she swears she applied early action but her portal shows regular and when she called admissions (South Carolina) they told her it was in fact regular and there is nothing they can do about it. Will this hurt her? How about in terms of merit money?

I’m surprised they say they can’t change it to EA.

I believe most of their merit scholarships require early application.

I know. She applied September 14! It’s totally her fault. You’d think being that she applied so early that it would be easy to switch. They are saying she won’t hear till march now.

I’m not. Before the deadline, maybe. But after the deadline, they’ve started reviewing them. Adding more applications after the process starts does kind of stretch the intent of a deadline.

At this point, all the OP can do is look forward, not back.

5 Likes

Yup! Lesson learned sadly. It’s not one of her top 2 but it would still be nice to have it as a option

Well she did it again! This time the school reached out to her and basically said “we saw you applied early but selected regular decision. Can we move you to the early decision status” (paraphrasing). So at least they reached out to ask I guess. Most of her applications were done in early September.

This is what ya get for being hands off I guess lol

9 Likes

I was completely hands off with the applications (never even saw one), and there were some glitches. It all worked out.

1 Like

A second school? Did she mean to apply ED to that one? And is she switching?

YUP!!! I have no idea how in the world she did it twice. Again, at least this school (SJU) reached out to her

Well…. Apparently she did it 3 times. Applied to Udel 9/10 but applied regular and not early action. Can I scream/cry now.

Honestly does it hurt her chances for admission applying regular decision?

She did get into Saint Joes. Same situation except they emailed her and asked if she meant to apply early action and switched it. She got in a month later with alot of merit.

Sorry meant she applied regular but meant to apply early action (not decision)

Yes, it can hurt chances for admission at certain schools. University of Maryland, Penn State, and Virginia Tech are 3 (among others) that accept the vast majority of their students from early action applicants. I don’t know about Delaware and South Carolina. It can also affect a student’s chance for merit aid.

Ugh!

I just can’t understand why someone would apply so early and NOT want early action.

I’m sorry that this this happened repeatedly with your D. Perhaps she was confusing EA with ED? Perhaps she thought anything early was binding and that regular was non-binding?

If it’s not too late, she may want to check all her other apps to see if this was done and, if so, if anything can be done about it.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yes I’m almost positive there was confusion for sure. Especially with Udel. I am assuming she confused regular with rolling. She has gotten into. She got into 5 schools so far and aside from those 3 she is only waiting to hear back from 2 others. I checked and it was early action thank gosh- they just have a later decision release date. She did call South Carolina back in November and it was too late to fix. SJU emailed her and fixed it and then she got in. Udel her application has said completed and waiting decision for months- now we know why. Called them and best they could say was that she’d hear by march. It is what it is, just frustrated.

I can give you a reason. My kids completed all applications (except each added one school later) by October 15…because they didn’t want their senior years to be screwed up. One kid did have two EA options and did check those. The other kid had early applications which entitled him to an earlier audition date (musician). Not EA.

They were both happy to be done with applications and especially appreciated this when they watched friends completing applications over the Christmas holiday vacation.

Yes agree. This is why mine applied to most of her schools in September. So she can enjoy her senior year. But what I mean is is there a reason people would purposely apply regular decision in early September if early action was an option? Like on purpose? Lol

Some students need their first semester senior grades to be part of their application to be competitive so yes, there is a reason for people to apply RD even if EA is an option.

3 Likes

Makes sense. But in her case she submitted her grades, letters of Rec all in September. Her application was marked “complete” by mid September. So I’m assuming that at some schools where they get a significant number of applications that it’s a computer system that automatically puts them in a que based on how you apply and even though hers said completed- nobody has looked at it :frowning:

I think it is really easy for 17 your old kids to not understand the differences between EA/ED/REA/ED2/SCEA… and the “rules” for each one.

2 Likes