Choate vs Frederick Gunn School

My daughter was accepted to Choate as a day student and to Frederick Gunn as a boarding student. Boarding was not an option as we live locally to Choate. She play’s hockey, lacrosse and field hockey. She is struggling with the decision. Choate has a stronger reputation but she wants to board. She also thought the atmosphere and students was more friendly at the Frederick Gunn school.

Any thoughts?

I don’t have first hand knowledge of either school to compare specifics but in general, I feel fit is more important than reputation. Kids thrive when all aspects of the school are a fit for them - socially, academically, “vibe”, sports, arts etc. No bad choice her in my opinion - they will both set her up for success - just need to decide better fit for her as an individual.

7 Likes

If your daughter wants to board and likes the atmosphere of Gunn, and money isn’t an issue, I would recommend sending her there. Also, I recommend not choosing a school based on reputation.

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Logistically, playing all those sports as a day student is HARD. There are lifts and late night ice times, etc to factor and tons of driving back and forth with a less than predictable schedule. At my daughter’s school there is only one varsity ice hockey player that doesn’t board due to the demanding schedule even though several of the players are local.

3 Likes

Thank you…good info

My daughter was accepted, and will attend Gunn. We toured Choate but never applied. She didn’t get the same sense of community at Choate as she did at Gunn. Also, she doesn’t want the “pressure cooker” environment - she wants to be challenged, but not to that extent. She is also an ice hockey player and felt a better connection to the Gunn coach ( but also liked the Choate coach very much ).

3 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

…and congrats to your daughter!

Gunn has been a fantastic and rewarding experience for both my children and the boarding experience will provide full immersion into the community versus being a day student. Ironically all day students are assigned a room in a dorm at Gunn and they often stay overnight in the assigned room on campus. Gunn is an intimate boarding school experience and I hope your daughter has a great year.

2 Likes

Thank you, she is excited to attend Gunn this fall. Looking forward to it

1 Like