Circulating Article on University of Michigan 2025 Musical Theater Acceptances

This article is circulating among San Diego right now. An interesting read.

“Isn’t it 2021? University of Michigan’s Theater Department is still catering to white, wealthy, connected kids.

Not long ago, three youth theater industry professionals formed a college admissions coaching team operating in San Diego, California simply called “Trifecta.” Touting superior expertise in the college admissions arena, the team consists of Tamlyn Shusterman (dance), Karyn Overstreet (voice), and Shauna Markey (acting). These three women have all been associated with the widely-known San Diego Musical Theater and have had their hands deeply entrenched with it’s youth program. As a coaching team, these three reportedly charge roughly $15,000 to walk students through the college admissions and auditions process. This year, they have held the hands of their very first group of students through the process, and recently, per their social media accounts, three of those students were accepted to the University of Michigan’s Musical Theater program— something that’s just about unheard of.

A little background: Michigan’s Theater Department has been called the “Harvard” of programs and is known to be cut-throat. This year, they reportedly had 1,800 applicants, and only selected 20 to get that golden phone call. Here’s the problem with the above San Diego scenario, and why parents across the nation are starting to rumble: out of all of California, there were only three selected to the program— all three San Diego “Trifecta” students. Really? All three students are white, upper-class, thin, leading-lady/man types. It just so happens that Tamlyn Shusterman is allegedly an alumni of the school, and the three SDMT professionals often host educators from UM to speak and give youth classes at San Diego Musical Theater. You can probably see why many parents are outraged. It seems like the trappings of some very unethical behavior.

Ask any theater parent, and they will most likely say this is just the kind of behavior that coincides with the typical “community youth theater” experience leading up to these college admissions, and that they’re just used to it. If you have the money to throw at the theater programs, if you have the money to line the director’s pockets by taking private lessons from them, if you’re white, if you’re thin, if you’re the typical leading-lady/man type… well, you get the picture. It goes without saying that talent can get you far, but money and privilege sure can seal the deal.

Supposedly, a screenshot of the first Zoom meeting of the newly admitted Class of 2025 University of Michigan Theater Department students showed extremely minimal BIPOC. Like, less than five. Surely there is more to the story, as there’s just no way that the department heads can be so clueless in today’s climate. Or, can they? Could they possibly be former theater kids that benefited from the perks of being one of the elite when they themselves were coming up, and now just continue to feed right into the same classist, racist “good ol’ boys” college society? Given the recent USC admissions scandal, one would think that these days, any money exchanging hands would be a no-no. One would also think that the department heads would have been a little smarter with their selections, at the very least, to avoid the raised eyebrows and wagging tongues of parents, educators, and professionals across the country, much less the organizations and activists who are currently working so hard for social justice. University of Michigan, we’re disappointed in you.“

Wow

This reads less like an article than someone’s Facebook opinion. Where is the byline? What is this “article” from. I’ve searched and can not find a source of the info other than someone here saying it is circulating in San Diego. Who is the author of this “article”? Is there info that is out there I’m not finding?

4 Likes

@collegemomlife I see that this is your first post, and with that first post you have decided to share an “article” that contains deliberately false information which also maligns the character of quite a few people, the coaches, the University of Michigan, and the c/o 2025 students that were admitted. You then posted this same “article” in another thread. Inequities in this process and these programs is a real problem that affects real people, and open and honest discussion about those inequities has value. I don’t, however, see value in your gossip mongering. College Confidential shouldn’t be your platform for whatever is your obvious personal grudge. I have no dog in this fight. My kid didn’t apply to Michigan, didn’t use a national coach, and chose acting over MT, but if I did have a dog in this fight, I’d be even more insulted by this garbage that you posted.

5 Likes

Well said. Is this the kind of behavior you’re teaching your children and want them to learn from you @collegemomlife ? I did my research on U of M 2025 class and this Trifecta coaching group and am actually shocked that you haven’t posted a public statement anywhere on college confidential owning the outward misinformation you’ve decided to spread. Twice. If I were you, I’d be apologizing for blatantly attacking the 3 c/o 2025 students, the integrity of entire @Univerity of Michigan MT program, and these coaches.
Bully and cowardly behavior is never flattering.
Probably not the legacy you want to leave for your children. Or maybe you do?

1 Like