Civil engineering at George Washington University?

I was looking for information about the civil engineering program at George Washington University. My son is interested but we do not know how to really evaluate the program. It’s a small program which I think isn’t necessarily a negative if it’s a good program. It is accreditted by ABET and is not a new program. The building is beautiful and new but we don’t know how to determine if it has the right resources, labs etc. needed for civil engineering. On admitted students day we met the program director, 2 grad students and 2 current students who all spoke positively about the program. My son did love the overall GW school vibe and the city.

I can’t speak to GW specifically as it’s below the radar for most students looking for engineering programs. What I can say is that if your son likes it, thinks he could thrive there, and it’s within your budget, he’ll be fine. Civil isn’t as facilities dependent as some of the other specialties. I also like that they have a 4+1 option. The MS is well worth the extra year.

1 Like