***Class of 2016 NMSF/NMF Qualifying Scores

Has anyone heard of the cutoff for Alabama for the class of 2016, or can anyone offer info on how to calculate the score?

Look back a few pages and someone posted a spreadsheet on how to calculate it. If you can’t figure it out (like me) I posted the information and someone figured it for me. Hope this helps. @forestschool

@WRUAustin Kudos to your great effort. Really appreciate it. We are in TX and my D got 219. Hope she makes it.

@forestschool wruaustin needs some numbers for the prediction. Read post 187, 194 and 235.

@Hope2achieve…Depending upon which part of Indiana you live in, Kentucky may fit your criteria. Full ride for NMFs through the Patterson scholarship and Lexington should be within about a 5 hour drive from anywhere in the state. Congrats on the great PSAT score!!

Thank you @raingate and @Hope2achieve ! I sent the Alabama info to @WRUAustin , so maybe he will have a prediction for AL in case there are others that are interested! Thanks again!

Thanks that is a thought. I noticed Muchigan State gives a scholarship but says competitive. What does that mean. We are fettung a new principal next year and I hope this doesn’t get list in transition. I really like the one we have and not thrilled with the one we are getting.

@forestschool

I ran the numbers for AL. Last years 207 was a strange number. A linear regression of the 5 years prior to that would have yielded 209 for last year. So, the R2 isn’t great. Also, the relatively small population makes it more difficult. That being said, it looks like 209 or perhaps 210 are the most likely cutoff numbers for AL. I can’t rule out 211, but I don’t think it would make it back to that number. The numbers for this year seem weaker than 2010 and 2012 when it was 211. Good luck! Caveat emptor.

Thank you so much! :slight_smile: @WRUAustin

Looks like a few students (in TX)have been notified about their national merit status, one article mentioned the cutoff to be 202.

Which colleges in TX, OK and AR gives full ride for NMF? University of Houston and Univ of Oklahoma I think. I will read other threads and find out more. Getting addicted to college confidential. Its a good thing.

gphati mentioned that a few students in TX have been notified about their national merit status. Are there any other class of 2016 students who have received word this week? I was under the impression that things were changed a couple of years ago and that the April notification no longer happened (except for principals being asked to verify basic information). Also, if anyone was notified, could you share whether it was official notification or informal information shared by the principal or other school official?

There is no official notification of being one of the top 50,000 scorers any more. Some students may be notified by their schools that NMSC has inquired about their status, but the student themselves won’t receive any direct official notification of any status until February of their senior year if they achieve NMF status. Everything prior to that (Status check aka Commended and achieving Semifinalist status) will go directly to the school and each student is dependent upon the school to notify them on their own timeline.

I don’t know if students are directly notified. I just saw articles like this one http://■■■■■■/6bosz9

Texas A&M has free tuition for NMFs. I believe UT Dallas has big scholarships beyond tuition.

Adding to what @texaspg said, Texas A&M has a nice NM Package and OOS NM students get a tuition waiver (because at A&M if you have a renewable scholarship of at least $1000 per year, which you will have if you are NM, then OOS tuition is waived). Scholarships are stackable and if you have more merit money than you need to attend, you get a refund each semester. The NM package is nowhere near a full ride, but there are also departmental scholarships, etc. Some kids graduate with money in the bank. Worth consideration if you are NM!

Raingate, to answer your question about some other full rides in Texas here are a couple:
Texas Tech just started offering an absolute full ride including tuition, fees, books, room and board, transportation, and misc. expenses - they say 100% of attendance.
UT Dallas offers tuition, fees and $8000 a year for room and board and maybe some other misc. items.

Texas A&M, at the least, offers full tuition. Not a full ride but a great deal.

All that these releases are saying is that they students were “high scorers” and are in the running for NMSF. Which is great, don’t get me wrong, but it doesn’t say that they are NMSF, just that they are high scorers.

@raingate

Here are the best lists (same list I think) that I have seen for NMSF scholarships. They are sorted by state. A bit dated, but most are still likely accurate.

http://thecollegematchmaker.com/52-colleges-offering-full-tuition-scholarships-national-merit-finalists/

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/649276-nmf-scholarships-an-updated-compilation-p56.html

The Texas Tech one that was just mentioned above is an additional Texas based scholarship. That was news to me.

The Texas Tech one is new, just announced on 2/19/2015 and it sounds very generous.