Class of 2018 - Admissions Status

<p>as per <a href=“http://http://admissions.tamu.edu/Home”>http://http://admissions.tamu.edu/Home</a> all admission decisions will be complete by Feb 28</p>

<p>Applied 8/22/13, application processed on 10/24/13 and haven’t received a decision
SAT: 1610 (620 Math, 470 Critical Reading, 520 Writing)
ACT: 26 (26 Math, 24 English, 25 Reading, 28 Science, 23 Writing)
IB Diploma Candidate, so all IB classes
Major Choice: Interdisciplinary Studies-Special Education
2 Awesome recommendation letters
Organizations:
-Officer on High School Drill team
-National Honor Society
Lots of Community Service</p>

<p>Older brother went to A&M also</p>

<p>Chances of getting accepted? </p>

<p>As an applicant who was denied admission from COE, I have a question: did the late submission of my application heavily impact A&M’s decision to reject me from my desired majors? I am fully aware this was my own fault for applying late, but I feel relatively nervous now for my other colleges that I applied to. I’ve been facing this mentality that 'JD1327, you couldn’t get into A&M’s engineering. How do you expect to be accepted to so and so more competitive colleges?" Here are my stats from several pages before:</p>

<p>GPA: 3.63 UW / 4.22 W
Top 15% Class Rank
Scores: 31 ACT / 1930 SAT
In-state
Majors: 1st Petrol. / 2nd Comp Sci.
No recommendations, only submitted A & B for essays.</p>

<p>tldr; Didn’t get into COE, asking influence of a late A&M submission (11/21), worried about potential acceptances to other colleges.</p>

<p>@bwiggy
Your stats are very similar to mine. I sent my stats and information to an admissions advisor and he replied “If I had to put a number on it, I would say your chances are right at 50/50.” Still awaiting </p>

<p>Yes, applying late severely affects chances as many spots are filled up by the auto/academic admits. The last 15% of the seats are filled by holistic review and its tougher to get in then as you need EC’s, awards,stellar grades,etc. Also, many people who apply late are the ones with amazing scores but who didn’t get into their dream schools or didn’t sufficient financial aid. This was the same reason I didn’t get COE. My stats are similar to yours and I was an academic admit.</p>

<p>My first major mechE changed to undeclared college-general university? So what does that mean? I’m still on step 3 </p>

<p>I applied to the college of engineering and today I checked my account and apparently I didn’t even make the general school. I find this shocking with their 67% acceptance rate. The only reason I find this shocking is that I was recently admitted to Purdue University(higher ranked Engineering program), Ohio state, and Penn state’s engineering programs! My stats weren’t fantastic, but I was slightly confident with these websites such as parchment and cappex that placed me as over 85% chance of getting in. I was an out of state applicant. Anyone have any answers for me? 3.71 gpa, 6 aps, 1790 superscore sat with a 600 math, 590 writing, and 600 reading, hispanic american if that has any bearing on my decision. </p>

<p>1) you know what they say about PURDUE-" easy to get in difficult to get out"
Also purdue average sat= 1745( they superscore).</p>

<p>2) PSU- admission criteria- 2/3 GPA and 1/3 SAT( Your GPA is quite good(3.52-3.97) …so that helped you).
//don’t superscore</p>

<p>3) Can’t comment on Ohio state.</p>

<p>4)- A&M doesn’t superscore.

• Even if your superscore was taken into consideration…your score is below average(1230- review applicants).
    - 85% of applicants are in the top quarter …are you?</p>

<p>In short your stats weren’t competitve:/</p>

<p>Also keep in mind that the 67% includes the auto and academic admits.</p>

<p>15% of the students are review admits.( That’s what the admission’s office said)</p>

<p>around 5000 kids are accepted from this pool(including blinn,PSA etc) out of 17000
so the acceptance rate is less than 30%.</p>

<p>All in all, don’t be hard on yourself …you’ve gotten into some great schools.
so boiler up/ go lions/ wherever you go.</p>

<p>Source- Also accepted to Purdue and penn state for engineering</p>

<p>carl91, that 67% acceptance rate is somewhat deceptive. State schools in Texas automatically accept any students ranked in the top 10% of their graduating class. TAMU also auto-accepts all top 25% ranked students with a 1300 SAT (math + verbal, w/ 600 minimum on each). Texas is one of the few states that puts so much emphasis on class rank during college admissions process. The result is, many students with higher GPA’s and test scores from a more competitive high school might be forced into a review situation competing for those available “review” spots. This year there were well over 17000 holistic review apps (not auto-admit) submitted to A&M with an estimated 5-6K offers to be made, including alternative admission programs like Gateway and Blinn TEAM.</p>

<p>FYI…Texas A&M does not accept superscores. So they’re considering only the top single test date scores you submitted. Race is not a consideration; but community service, extra curriculars, recommendations and essays are but to a lesser degree than class rank, GPA, and test scores. </p>

<p>I’m fairly certain all that is accurate and I hope it helps. </p>

<p>Have you been denied admission? Or are you still in the review process? Either way, best of luck wherever you end up!</p>

<p>kelsag88, I was denied to both the general school and specifically the college of engineering. I’m just a little confused about the whole college process in general. Does the strength of a program have no correlation to how difficult it is to get in(for example if Purdue has a better program, could it be easier to get into than a lesser program?) Do college rankings actually matter? Is Purdue a better engineering school than A&M as indicated by the Us News rankings? and yes chanceme1830, I was in the top 10% of my class. I find it strange though with these websites such as ■■■■■■■■■■ or parchment.com and what their “prediction” was. I’m not sure if these types of websites are reliable, so any advice or knowledge you guys have please share! On cappex/parchment, they made it seem like I had a confident chance whereas you guys are telling me that I didn’t. My chances for ohio state and even drexel appear less on these websites, yet I got into both. Overall, I feel like I am slightly mislead through the whole process. This makes me kind of scared for other schools that I applied to. </p>

<p>@carl91 I’m so sorry to hear that you didn’t get in. My stats are about the same as yours, and parchment.com gave me around the same chance too. Do you mind telling me what they AIS page looked like when you got denied? I’m worried that I will be too so I just want to know what to expect. Thanks!</p>

<p>Can you tell us what the ais page looks like when you get denied? Just to make sure you were really denied…</p>

<p>I agree - what does the deny screen look like… I don’t expect any “denies” until end Feb or 1st part of March.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how many more acceptances they’re expecting to send out?</p>

<p>you guys i got in! im so happy right now but unfortunately i didnt get into coe since its full :frowning: is anyone else in this dilemma? </p>

<p>Jalyssa congratulations! Would you be willing to post your stats?</p>

<p>I applied in October and heard that the earlier you apply, the bigger your chance/earlier you hear back… but I know tons of people who got into a&m who applied late November and later than I did. So I’m not sure if I got rejected or if the order in which you applied does not matter. Anyone have any opinions on this?</p>

<p>I applied in August and I have not heard back as well. I know of a few people who have already been denied so just be hopeful that you haven’t gotten that kind of news already. I’m assuming the last wave of decisions will be for blinn team, so I’m thinking that may be why some people haven’t heard back yet even though they applied really early. </p>

<p>@rara14, sure np
sat: 2000: Cr- 710, M-620, W- 670
act: 30 (28 M)
Good ec’s, VP of a club
lots of community service, 200+ hours
3 rec letters: i thought they were good
i honestly thought i was going to get blinn team or gateway but holy crap
now i just dont know what to do since housing’s full and internal transfers into engineering are hard</p>

<p>I bet an internal transfer would be easier than transferring from another college, I know someone who changed her major 3 times while at A&M, you just have to keep your grades up. As far as housing I’ve been looking at off campus apartments and townhomes and some are extremely nice and you end up saving money, so don’t be too bummed about that. Congratulations though, now you can relax knowing you’re in! </p>