Class of 2018 - Admissions Status

<p>@gabyb96 He normally responds within an hour, but since it’s after 10 o clock at night, he’ll respond in the morning. Don’t worry.</p>

<p>@southernbelle13 biomed isn’t available at the system schools though :frowning: Unless I change my major as soon as I get to CS. I will speak with someone over at corpus though so they can let me know what’s best.</p>

<p>@krishkray I would speak to someone at College Station, since they would be the ones looking at your transfer application next year. Since biomed isn’t available at the system schools, you may want to look at transfer requirements and consider going to Blinn your freshman year. </p>

<p>I emailed jon and he told me this morning and told me TAMU was unable to admit me this fall and offered me PSA. Not what i was hoping for. does everybody who doesnt get accepted get offered PSA?</p>

<p>@gabyb96 No, not everyone is offered PSA. There are many, many review applicants (probably the majority) who are rejected, with no alternative form of guaranteed admission offered. My son has well-qualified classmates who, for whatever reason, were flat out denied admission to A&M. While PSA might not be optimal for you, it is still a guaranteed pathway into A&M College Station if you hold up your end of the bargain (grades, etc.). Congrats to you! </p>

<p>Thank you very much! That makes me feel a little better about not being fully accepted. Is your son going to A&M? @CentralTXParent</p>

<p>To those of you like krishkay that are now academic admits, but were not at time of application for Fall, have you explored the idea of re-applying for spring 2015 as academic admits or fall 2015 taking a gap year / gap semester off? I don’t know if they would count your year-end status (or mid-year) for auto admit(total guess on my part), but might be worth asking admissions how that works. It is my understanding that you cannot enroll elsewhere and then go back as a freshman admit, but how about the gap year?</p>

<p>@gabyb96 My son was offered the Blinn TEAM program and, if I had to hazard a guess, I think that’s where he will end up. He’s still weighing offer from a couple of other schools, but realizes the value of a degree from A&M, plus he wants to join the Corps of Cadets. Texas A&M has been his top choice for a while now. We have one final college road trip planned for next week, so I imagine he’ll make his decision by mid-March or so. To be safe, though, he accepted A&M’s offer and registered for NSC. The most we are risking is the registration fee, so it seemed worth it.</p>

<p>Are you seriously considering PSA? It seems like a good program, much like UT’s CAP. What are your other options? </p>

<p>My daughter got Blinn TEAM yesterday…Many students at her highly competitive NW Houston Suburban HS are getting TEAM. Her stats: Top 18%, 4 years drill team, 4 years Choir including Choir Officer for 2, Yearbook 2 years and Senior Editor this past year, NHS, Student Council 2 years, NCL, Altar Server at Church and over 275 volunteer hours. She also works at part- time job … GPA is 4.0 and SAT were 590 M & 530 V and she has taken all Pre-AP, DC and AP classes including AP Econ and AP Calculus and bringing 21 hours of DC with her. She had everything going for her with the exception of her SAT scores. She scored high in math but lower in reading but she has minor dyslexia. She also attended SEAL and SLOT conferences at A&M both her junior and senior year. In her essay she wrote about her reading issues to support her low reading score. She was also accepted to TAMU Galveston back in October and was planning to attend there and do a change of curriculum after her freshman year. She is not sure if she should accept TEAM or go to TAMUG…She wants to get into Mays…We are trying to decide which path is best for her.</p>

<p>@SheMag91 If this was my daughter, I’d encourage her to go with Blinn TEAM. She’ll be co-enrolled at A&M-College Station and able to participate in all on-campus activities (with the exception of sororities and sports, I think). It will be one less transition for her to make and she’ll also have full access to the advisors there, giving her the best shot at Mays, IMO (there’s a lot to be said for face time with teachers and advisors). My main concern would be availability of on-campus housing. </p>

<p>@shemag91 If she is trying to transfer into mays Blinn TEAM is her best bet. There is a business track on the TEAM website that shows her what courses she needs to take. Given the fact that she has DC she will most likely be able to transfer after a year grades permitting. Furthermore she will have all the benefits of being a full student (sports and rec pass etc) with the exception of sororities.if you are concerned about housing there are PLENTY of apartments that are literally across the street or on the bus route.</p>

<p>Thank you for the feedback on PSA ( @krishkray and @CentralTXParent ). Does anyone know that if you do the PSA option at a satellite campus and when you come back to TAMU - College Station , are you guaranteed your first choice major? </p>

<p>Thanks @southernbelle13 !</p>

<p>I have been considering the spring thing @AGmomx2 ! I’m sort or weighing my options at this point.</p>

<p>@robtybrand You definitely won’t…sadly. You have to choose a major from the system schools and keep it, it’s frowned upon if you change it as soon as you get to A&M at CS…but I’ll probably do it anyway to be honest. But you still have to get “accepted” into that major.</p>

<p>@gabyb96 I think you should do the PSA, it would be worth it. Unless you have better options. You would be at A&M CS in just a year as long as you maintain a 3.0 GPR and choose a school that gives 24 hrs of transferable credit. Apparently Tarleton does not, so I recommend Corpus Christi (I think you’d love it, most do) and Commerce (don’t know much about this school). I plan to do it because that’s how I bad I want it.</p>

<p>@Scribs and @CentralTXParent Housing is a concern but I know we have many options…would have preferred her to live on campus and have signed up for notifications and looking at off campus dorms. She says she is not ready to be in an apartment yet. For Mays path with Team I understand the 45 hours at Blinn which she currently will have 21 going in, but it is the 15 hours at A&M…How could she get those in less than 2 years if they only only you to take 5-6 hours each semester? That is a big question we are trying to get answered. Not being able to rush a sorority is not a big deal, thankfully A&M is one of those schools where Greek is not a must. I did not Rush when I was at A&M so she is not even a legacy. I like the idea of her being in CS all 4 years. I think the admission decision took so long that she had mentally prepared herself for TAMUG and she is trying to better understanding of TEAM. I am glad she has options…she did not apply anywhere else. This group of applicants has been very strong and competitive.</p>

<p>@CentralTXParent do you know what the difference is between Blinn Team and PSA? Im really really really considering taking the PSA offer because I have wanted to go to A&M since i was a little kid. It was my first option and if i cant start there at least i can graduate from there. My other options are UT CAP, university of Houston, Texas State, San Francisco State (probably not going all the way to SF) and St. Marys. </p>

<p>@kribri18 I agree, Im going to visit the school in corpus because I have also heard a lot of positive comments about that school and i want it badly as well. I already have 12 hours but I took college classes my junior and senior year of highschool do you know if those count as part of the 24 i need to complete?</p>

<p>@SheMag91 The 15 hours at A&M is only the requirement at the completion of the 2 year TEAM program for guaranteed acceptance. She can transfer in earlier than that. As a matter of fact, TEAM students are encouraged to transfer early. </p>

<p>I have a document that outlines what the requirements were for Spring 2014 for TEAM transfer. Just PM me and I can email it to you. It will probably be similar for next year. My daughter has been on TEAM this past year and just got accepted full time for fall. She only has 6 credit hours at A&M and is currently taking 5. As a transfer student, you only need 24 transfer hours and a transfer gpa of 2.5 to be accepted by the University. (Each major has its own GPA requirement thought which is usually higher). Make sure to speak with an advisor for the major she is interested in. They are very helpful and will make sure she registers for the appropriate classes to keep her on track for transfer. My daughter took her Blinn classes on MWF and her A&M classes on TTH. It worked out quite well. </p>

<p>Also, check out the private dorms. They have the atmosphere most like living on campus and different from an apartment environment. It amazes me how different things are now from when I was there in '83-'87!</p>