Class of 2021 TAMU OOS scholarship/tuition waivers: Report your stats, help others!

I am an in-state resident and received $14,200 (all scholarships and grants) for my freshman year at TAMU. I’m a senior… rank: 12/438 SAT:1220 Weighted GPA: 4.19
While my stats may not be stellar I firmly believe that my scholarship essays were able to portray my desire to become an Aggie and my need for scholarships.

@fernie99 were those scholarships needs-based or merit? Or combination?

@fernie99 --wow. Congrats.

I would be super curious to see the name of those scholarships. I would also be curious if any of those are need based or are grants.

I’m just having a hard time believing that big $$$ from A&M comes from passionate essays.

@fernie99 --if you got grants, those are need based and have nothing to do with your essays or your stats.

I’m truly happy for you but if you want to help people out you need to be clear about which is which. When you don’t differentiate, the vagueness promotes false hope among people with similar scores but don’t realize how much need played a role in the grants, etc.

@carachel2 Concernjng outside scholarships, we were told by SFAID last fall that as long as it is a merit based A&M scholarship, even if it’s from a department, it could be stacked to get to the $4000. Were we told wrong? I’m so confused at this point. It’s just a killer to be so close.

3boysmon92 - He received a Presidental Endowed Scholarship $3000/yr and an Opportunity Award Scholarship ($7500/yr).

rvhappynow – yes, based upon my kids and their friends, I believe they can be stacked. Is there a local rotary club scholarship or can your hs guidance office give you an idea how you might apply for a small local $250 scholarship? Shoot, a local business? You are so close After that, I would contact Texas A&M scholarships and financial aid office and see if there may be more coming,
Carachel 2- I did see in a different thread that some students are just starting to get merit scholarship offers and I believe they mentioned a President’s Endowed Scholarship, the Lechner Scholarship and that group and then a corp-related scholarship (all merit.) Good luck to all!

The scholarship must:

1. Be awarded through Texas A&M.
  2. Be a competitive all student scholarship (if there are scholarships that apply for OOS and international students only, the amount will not count toward OOS tuition waivers).

@rvhappynow At our hs, there are a ton of scholarships available that kids can apply for through various organizations or memorials, that are just specific to our school and some are city wide. There is even a “parking lot” scholarship students can apply for, that is made up of the extra $20 every student pays to be able to paint their parking spaces. The list at our hs for current year scholarships is usually available by Feb or March and they are announced at Sr. awards night in May.

Check with your high school counselor office and see if they offer something like this.

The unfortunate part, is you may not find out if you won the scholarship until after the May 1 deadline to accept the admissions offer.

I am rooting for you you! Good Luck and Please keep us posted.

Hello,
I just contacted the scholarships and financial aid office if they are still giving out scholarships after the update in the portal because I didn’t get any. Here is their email:

Our office has awarded all freshmen scholarships. You can check with your college or department. The colleges and departments tend to award scholarships in a different time frame. Below you will find the contact information for the College of Engineering.

Tammy Thomas                (979) 458-9662                   tammy-t-thomas@tamu.edu

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks & Gig’em!

Very disappointed.

Outside scholarships do NOT count towards the out of state tuition waiver. They have to be from the university itself, even the TAMU alumni / mother’s clubs scholarships do not count. My kids won those, so I know they are not eligible towards the waiver, even though they sound like they should. They do of course cut down your overall bill. If you are needs based, be careful some outside scholarships count against your allotted needs based awards - get advice - they can readjust your financial aid package. Some of the grants are tiered for example and your new scholarship can potentially cut your existing offer for a net lower amount.

@rvhappynow , yes you can stack eligible scholarships from the university whether they are based from FA office, department, college, corps, etc. Not all scholarships are eligible even if they are generated from the university - my son did get one that was not eligible and it was clearly stated when awarded (he didn’t need it to qualify). The vast majority of university generated scholarships do qualify, that was an exception but it does happen.

@k_03 I am very sorry to hear that. Here’s hoping that something may still come for you from another department! I was actually going to post something similar to let folks know that I got the same email from them this morning. And @AGmomx2, I appreciate all of the thoughts and advice! There is so very much to learn, and I literally learn something new each time I open up this forum or read another page on the TAMU site. That is very interesting about how some outside scholarships could affect your financial aid package. Such valuable information to know! I will take ALL of this into consideration, and I appreciate all of the support here! I do have another question. What happens to the scholarship money that was offered to students who end up not choosing to go to A&M. I know there are many folks who apply to several colleges. When they decline an offer, will the money possibly be freed up to offer students, or is that generally too late in the spring? Or, maybe is this what a couple of parents were talking about…receiving additional funds in the summer? (Heck, it’s tough to work a normal work day right now with all of this going on in my head. Anyone else in the same boat?)

I’m with you @rvhappynow!!! My son hasn’t even been admitted yet, but I keep watching this forum just trying to see progress being made. I keep telling myself, this isn’t stressful, at least I have healthy kiddos!! It’s just hard to be left in a lurch for so long. I’m really rooting for your situation though.

@kaydeeloo Glad I’m not alone! And I’m rooting for you too!. I know it’s excruciating. Hang in there, and I’m also with you on keeping it in perspective. It’s just nice having the support and extra info (as long as it’s accurate info…lol!) to help us pass the time while we all wait! :slight_smile:

My son is OOS applicant. Applied Aug 3rd, Admitted Nov 10th. Physics major, review admit. In Oct got a 1400 on SAT and 30 on ACT but scores weren’t submitted until after received admission decision. Exams used for admission were 1350 and 27.

3.89 unweighted/4.9 weighted GPA, class rank 28 out of 632, 52 dual enrollment college credits, 4 AP classes. Not a lot of extracurricular activities but the ones he does have were all long-term, between 4 and 8 years…Naval Sea Cadets, swimming, taekwondo. Over 300 hours of community service.

Received Lechner scholarship - $2,500 year for 4 years.

Selected for corps of cadet scholarship but the amount was not disclosed. The letter said the amount will be determined by end of March.

Hoping combined it is enough to get past that $4,000 magic number needed for in-state tuition waiver.

@JHwang29 did you get a letter in the mail or did you see it online?

My son got a letter saying he was selected for a Corps scholarship but it didn’t actually say which one or how much. Not sure what that means…is that a good or bad thing??