Class of 2021 TAMU OOS scholarship/tuition waivers: Report your stats, help others!

I’ve seen many posts over the past few weeks from out-of-state (OOS) students who are hopeful for a scholarship that will allow them to receive in-state tuition. The possibility of this is shown on the TAMU website, but there does not seem to be a lot of information on how many receive them and the stats/holistic profile of those who do receive them has not been compiled in one place.

If you are OOS and receive a scholarship and notification that you receive IN-sate tuition, please post your GPA/rank, test scores and ECs and reflections on the process so others this year and for years to come can learn from this process.

Thanks!

Thank you for posting this, as I have been searching like a crazy person to get all the information I can, not that it could change anything at this point. This is my first time with this process, and I’ll know so much more when my daughter goes through it in a few years, I keep saying "If only I knew a year ago (or 3!) what I know now. Once we know something, if we get anything, I will post stats. We are hopeful but realistic as this seems extremely competitive. I was told early February, but are people already starting to find out?

Ok so I got the General Rudder Scholarship for $2000 (I’m joining the Corps of Cadet), and while thats a nice amount of money, I still need $2000… I’m hoping I can get some more, but I know for a fact that being in the Corps really helps with your chances of getting the tuition waiver.

The Financial Aid tab on the Howdy Portal was just now updated with 2017-2018 Scholarship and Financial Aid decisions!! Good luck to all!!

@houstonmama --Ds is updated!! With LOANS lol!

I’m not sure what I was smoking to think a 3.98UW GPA; 34 ACT and top 10 out of >600 in your class would warrant even the smallest of small merit awards at A&M. :((

Got loans… Yay (?)

I have been browsing these threads for some time, but this is my first post. TAMU Scholarships and Financial Aid wrote on Facebook yesterday that the Financial Aid Portal would be down until Wednesday morning so I was surprised to see that mine was updated this afternoon with offered loans. Does anyone know if these decisions are final or are they still in the process of awarding merit aid? I am OOS and my stats are very similar to @carachel2.

@MisterBlueSkye --I will say there appears to be a blank spot for “Awards”. I’m not sure if it is placed there as a placeholder or sorts OR if it is just there to taunt D and I with it’s emptiness lol??

I just got my financial aid package and it’s pretty much all loans. Does anyone know when I’d have to pay them back? I was planning on attending A&M and then start paying once I graduate.

carachel2 - neither of my daughters got their merit aid notifications (when they were freshman) until at least March and it was even updated over the summer. Looking back over the posts from previous years it always seems financial aid notifications come out before merit aid notifications.

@NETarrantMom – you could be correct. I’ve had a friend tell me the same thing. Her student received offers as late as May and June.

If this is true, this is vastly different from every other school where D has applied. She has merit offers up front (even competitive ones, not just automatic) from Pitt, Clemson, Alabama and Northeastern.

I don’t understand why a school wouldn’t put the offer out front so students can make an informed decision?

My son found out that he was awarded merit aid yesterday. 34 ACT, Rank 1/650, 1510 SAT, 4.0 UW GPA. Total aid was $10000/year for 4 years. He is in-state, though.

carachel2 - I would guess it is because the school would want to see the entire pool of competitive applicants and perform a holistic review before handing out all their merit scholarships. Texas A&M has a great reputation for their engineering program (our kids’ major) and they receive a really high number of competitive applicants, higher than some other schools with smaller programs. My kids would say, though, it was worth the wait!

@cosmo61 --Congrats! That is a great offer. Has he committed to Texas A&M already?

No commitment yet to A&M. Also considering UT Austin, though I can’t imagine that he’d get as much financial aid (if any) from UT.

A&M has just 3% OOS students, the lowest percentage of any public university. U-Texas is not much better. Texas is a huge state and there is tremendous demand from in-state students to get into the two state flagships. Both have huge endowments, but have never tried much to bring in OOS students, other than A&M’s courting of NM scholars.

Great offer Cosmo and well deserved. Would you mind listing which scholarships were offered?

Posted this on another thread but thought I should also post here to keep updates in one thread.

We’re OOS and $250 shy of the waiver for in state tuition. So grateful for the Opportunity Award ($1250) and Lechner Award ($2500), but we’ll be praying for a departmental scholarship, to hit the $4000 mark for the OOS waiver. We can’t afford A&M without it. Congratulations to all who got awards, and those of you who are seeing only loan opportunities in your portal, I wish you the best, and hope that more awards are on the way. This is so hard, but in the big picture, we are all so blessed to either have such high achieving kids or be those kids. We are all in this together. ACT 35, GPA/UW 3.8 5/82 rank, well rounded EC’s.

I believe any outside scholarship, if Texan kids can also apply for it, will count toward the $4000. Good luck!

@rvhappynow oh that would be so painful to be $250.00 short!!!

I’m not sure about the outside scholarships counting towards the $4k. Definitely check! Good luck to your son!