Class of 2023 National Merit discussion

Saw another NMF rejection on Reddit – 3.5-3.6 unweighted GPA, but two Cs. They all (other than two posts above) seem in line with historical NMSC decisions.

Reminder that UTulsa’s generous NMSF scholarship is available for any NMSF (regardless of NMF status) who applies to TU by February 1st, as long as they’re admitted to the school.

5 Likes

That is an excellent NMSF offer. :grinning:

2 Likes

Updated NMF scholarship spreadsheet

2 Likes

you are the best for linking that reddit article.

2 Likes

22 posts were split to a new thread: Presidential Scholarship Class of 2023

Can someone carve off the last 20+ posts into a separate Presidential Scholar thread? It has nothing to do with “Class of 2023 National Merit discussion”.

3 Likes

BTW USF sent out the National merit emails to admitted NMSF students today. Full ride if one designates the USF as first choice for out of state residents too.

4 Likes

Note that I moved the Presidential Scholars discussion to its own thread. Presidential Scholars Class of 2023 - #22 by fletcherjones

3 Likes

Been a odd feeling the past few days as the parent of a NMSF, opening the mailbox and hoping that it contains…not a letter. But my son hasn’t received a NMF rejection through today’s mail, which – fingers crossed! – I think means there’s a very good chance he’s moving on.

Still a little annoying that there’s still three-plus more weeks of waiting until it’s official.

5 Likes

I feel this in my bones! This entire senior year has shown me how little patience I actually have…lol!

4 Likes

FYI. This is of major help for those keen on opening mail box. The email shows up every morning by 7AM, with details on what mail is coming that day with pictures.

5 Likes

I also relate to checking the mail and hoping for no news. Seems counterintuitive. My informed delivery email arrives at 8:00 every morning and I’ve been checking it religiously even though I’m fairly confident we have no worries. It is wild to think we have been on this ride since October 2021.

5 Likes

My son got admitted to a school which will not give any money for National Merit. So I wanted to check how I can update it to a cash prize instead.

I called the NM organization and the lady(Name :Rachel), mentioned that the letters will be received in mid Feb via physical mail, portal will also get updated, they will notify the school too about the National merit finalist. She also helped me the college code and I was able to change it.

Also I asked her if choice of my college has any relation to prize and the answer was no, there is no relation in what college we choose and what prize we get.

It was quite easy to call them and ask questions.

1 Like

Thank you for that update .Finalist receive cash prize?

About a quarter of the finalists get a scholarship – mostly around $2500 – that they’re able to use at any school. I think that’s what’s meant by “cash prize”. About another quarter get a scholarship sponsored by their first-choice school if the college they’ll be attending offers them (150+ schools do), but you can only use it there. The rest don’t receive anything.

2 Likes

Got it.Thanks

Okay. So he could be named a Finalist and an initially a Scholar. Or he could just be named a Finalist. If he is a Scholar (about 2000 or 2500 students?) then he can have the award sent to that college of his choice. (non participating) But if he is named Finalist, then it is up to the University who participates in NM, of which he attends to award the amount. If he attends a non participating university as a Finalist he would not receive an award or be a Scholar. Unless he receives a Corporate award which would also make him a Scholar. Many NMF don’t become Scholars every year due to school choice.

From NMSC Website FAQ. You can get selected for ONE-TIME Only $2500 Scholarship irrespective of what college you go to.

Types of Merit Scholarship Awards

Beginning in March and continuing to mid-June, NMSC notifies approximately 7,250 Finalists that they have been selected to receive a Merit Scholarship® award. Merit Scholarship awards are of three types:

• National Merit® $2500 Scholarships
    Every Finalist competes for these single-payment scholarships, which are awarded on a state-representational basis. Winners are selected by a committee of college admission officers and high school counselors without consideration of family financial circumstances, college choice, or major and career plans.

• Corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards
    Corporate sponsors designate their awards for children of their employees or members, for residents of a community where a company has operations, or for Finalists with career plans the sponsor wishes to encourage. These scholarships may either be renewable for four years of undergraduate study or one-time awards.

• College-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards
    Officials of each sponsor college select winners of their awards from Finalists who have been accepted for admission and have informed NMSC by the published deadlines that the sponsor college or university is their first choice. These awards are renewable for up to four years of undergraduate study. The published deadlines for reporting a sponsor college as first choice can be viewed on page 4 of the Requirements and Instructions for Semifinalists in the 2023 National Merit® Scholarship Program. (Adobe Acrobat Reader is required.)

Merit Scholarship awards are supported by some 400 independent sponsors and by NMSC’s own funds. Sponsor organizations include corporations and businesses, company foundations, professional associations, and colleges and universities.

1 Like

National Merit and Corporation-sponsored scholarships can be earned, regardless of support from the school

Exactly. But if you don’t receive one of those two and don’t attend a participating school then you are out of luck. :wink:

1 Like