Class of 2023 National Merit discussion

What are the reasons to decline?

One reason would be if a student decided to attend a school outside of the US.

1 Like

Are these the company-sponsored ones? or the $2500 NM one? Also, would you be eligible for these if youā€™ve opted for a tuition waiver with NMF?

Itā€™s my understanding that the 2500 names announced today are for the NM Scholarship. Others will be named later and will receive the corporate scholarships.

I believe these are the $2500 NM ones. I received a corporate sponsored one in early March.

NMSC $2500 Scholarship awards did go out today. The high school principal and first-choice college are notified of this offer. Otherwise, only your immediate family should be told of your selection until May 10.

We hadnā€™t picked a college yet as most of the schools we applied to havenā€™t sent out results yet and didnā€™t get any letter for the $2500 scholarship. Were we supposed to just put the first choice of our ideal admission results?

Didnā€™t list the first choice, and was offered the $2500 scholarship today.

4 Likes

Congratulations! Thanks for the reply

2 Likes

Hello all, had a florida prepaid question.
My son NMS is getting full scholarship , I have florida prepaid for tuition. Will they reimburse me as the scholarship takes care of tuition.
Thanks in advance

So if he wants to change his first choice college now that heā€™s been admitted, does he select ā€œupdate college choiceā€? I ask because it no longer calls it first choice and seems to imply heā€™s definitely committed already and is asking about housing etc.

1 Like

Do we know what percentage of finalists got the $2500 scholarship today? Or how many finalists did?

2500 of about 15000 finalists I believe

2 Likes

It depends on the school. Sometimes they apply it to fees or housing.

2,500 students got $2,500 each?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Daughter got an email at 3:15 today! Was not expecting that. A drop in the bucket, but appreciated!

4 Likes

Not from personal experience but from what Iā€™ve read ( thereā€™s a very informative fb group for Benequisto )- yes, they will reimburse the prepaid money to the students account after the school gets the Benequisto money.

1 Like

Good morning!
If a kid is accepted to a NMS school, and had put it as first choice, and was offered the NMF presidential scholarship at that school, is the kid a national merit scholar??
So confused still! But very happy with this mornings news!

1 Like

Are you referring to USC? If so, the half-tuition Presidential does not make a student a Scholar. If the student did not receive the NMSC $2500 yesterday and does not receive a corporate scholarship, USC will give the student an additional college sponsored NM scholarship of $4K ($500/semester) to make them a NM Scholar.

That $4K needs to be renewed through NMSC every March. Your student will receive a letter in the mail prompting them to renew.

NMSC online renewal

1 Like