Class of 2024 Discussion

Hello everyone, despite securing 9.4/10 in 9th, 92.6/100 in 10th, 78.6/100 in 11th (Class Rank 7) and a predicted of 97.6/100 in 12th, my SAT score is low at a 1270 (590 R&W; 680M). I’ve appeared for the SAT Subject Tests of US History and Math Level 1 in November. My June Math Level 2 score was low with a 580. I do have great ECAs- Student Council President, Model UN, Scholars Cup, My Own Social Project, an Internship, Art and Debate. How worried should I be about my test scores for the top schools of UC?

@AmbitiousKid101
Although the UC’s tend to be GPA focused, test scores are still considered Very Important in their application review.

Top UC’s like UCLA and UCB will be looking for a competitive overall application including High SAT scores, High GPA, HIgh SAT subject test scores, great personal insight essays, good HS course rigor and EC’s.

Below are the 25th and 75th percentiles for UC admits in 2019. A 1270 puts you below the 25th percentile for 4 of the 9 UC’s. It will also depend upon which major you are applying since the more competitive the major, the higher the test scores needed.

Great EC’s do not make up for lower academics, after all colleges are academic institutions.

2019 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
UCB: 1340-1540

UCLA: 1330-1550
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1280-1520
UCD: 1230-1490
UCI: 1250-1510
UCSC: 1200-1450
UCR: 1130-1400
UCM: 1020-1290

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
UCB: 4.23
UCLA: 4.25
UCSD: 4.23
UCSB: 4.16
UCI: 4.13
UCD: 4.13
UCSC: 3.96
UCR: 3.90
UCM: 3.73

• BERKELEY

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Extracurricular activities, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Considered: Character/personal qualities, First generation college student, State residency, AP/IBLH exam scores
  • Note: Thorough review of academic performance; likely contribution to intellectual and cultural vitality of the campus; diversity in personal background and experience; demonstrated qualities in leadership, motivation, concern for others and community; non-academic achievement in the performing arts, athletics or employment; demonstrated interest in major.
  • LOR's by invitation only as of 2017 Division (L&S, CNR, CoC, CED, CoE) matters for admission selectivity. Within CoE (but not the other divisions), major matters for admission selectivity. Changing majors within the CoE after enrolling is not guaranteed, unless one is CoE undeclared.
    Note that L&S admits students as undeclared; admission to capped            majors (e.g. CS, economics, psychology, ORMS, statistics, art practice,         and a few others) is by college GPA in prerequisite courses (and                portfolio for art practice) after attending for a few semesters.

The business major is in a separate division and admits students in a       competitive holistic process. Frosh intending business majors begin in      another division (usually L&S), take the business major prerequisites,      and apply (usually in their second years). They also need to take               prerequisites for a backup major in case they are not admitted to the       business major.

All students who apply to UC Berkeley and select a major within the             College of Natural Resources are evaluated based on their application,      not on the particular major they select.

• LOS ANGELES
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores

•   Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, AP/IBHL exam scores

•   Note: GPA, test scores, course work, number of and performance in honors and AP courses most important. Essay considered. Strong senior program important. Extracurricular activities, honors and awards also reviewed.

For the College of Letters and Science, the applicant’s major is not considered during the review process. The Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science admits students by declared major, with more emphasis on science and math programs. The School of Nursing also places more emphasis on science and math programs and requires the submission of an additional supplemental application. The School of the Arts and Architecture; Herb Alpert School of Music; and the School of Theater, Film and Television admit students by declared major (within the school), and put more emphasis on special talents through a review of portfolios and/or auditions, which are the most significant admission factors for these schools.

Make sure you apply widely, have 2 safety schools and several match schools on your list.