GPA vs. SAT?

What do UC’s value more: GPA or SAT?

Also, I have an ok GPA (3.83 unweighted). To what extent can I make up for it with a good SAT score?

(Specifically looking at UCI and UCB)

If you look at the common dataset for the UC’s, GPA/Test Scores/HS course Rigor and essays are considered the most important. Based on past admission decisions, GPA over Test scores but if you are looking to apply to the top UC’s like UCB/UCLA, then you need a competitive overall application: High GPA/Good HS course rigor/High test scores/outstanding essays and EC’s.

I suggest you look at this link to see average admitted applicant stats for each campus. Depending upon your intended major, strive for above the averages.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/uc-freshman-application-data.pdf

In what world is 3.83 unweighted just OK? Assuming you took the 8 AP semesters, your UC GPA is around 4.2 which puts you well above mid point at UCI and around mid point at UCB. A 1400 would keep you competitive at UCB and a 1250 would probably do it at UCI. Though GPA and SAT are 2 of myriad factors weighed by UC admissions offices. Berkeley in particular wants to see much more than GPA and SAT.
Good luck.

@NCalRent at very competitive high schools, kids often feel that GPAs in that range are “just okay.” They don’t realize how they compare to students at other schools. When colleges emphasize that they look at what your school offers and how you performed compared to others at your school, kids with GPAs in that range become concerned. At our school a 3.83 unweighted would put around 15% in your class which means you are not ELC at the school level.

I hear you, my son has a 3.5 UW GPA and is about 50% in his graduating class but. a 3.83 UW UCGPA is something like 1 B and the rest As in an A-G class during 10 or 11 grade. Anybody who considers that just OK needs to reset their expectations of the world around them.

Of course, by definition - not everyone can be in the top 9%… in fact, 91% of us aren’t

Right or wrong, Eligibility in the Local Context (ELC) is meant to help stand out students from schools with lower performance gain access to a UC. There is also a ‘statewide path’ that is designed applicants from higher performing schools. You can read about it here but, qualifying under either gives you essentially the same status.
http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/admissions-index/

Also important to note that the primary benefit of ELC and the Statewide path is a referral to Merced if the applicant is rejected by another UC. (which can be a great thing if you get rejected by all the UCs you apply to) You will see it as a proxy for class rank on the list of items considered by Admissions but, it isn’t a big factor.