Class of 2024 National Merit Discussion

I honestly do not know, and it was not something that she set out to do. And being a NMF is not something that they normally talk about, but it did not come up when choosing housing (the NMFs, as a general rule, are the only ones who stay in campus housing after freshmen year due to their scholarship, and as a result, they like to room together rather than be placed with random freshmen). I do think that the academic cohort that she joined is likely the largest reason that she knows so many NMFs (and itā€™s a really tightknit group socially), but I truly donā€™t know. But at this point, all the new people she meets are NMFs by coincidence.

I am sure that there are several non-NMFs who attend UA who are also her people. It just so happens that almost all the people she has met and hit it off with have been NMFs. I also think that there is an element of self-selection at play here, too. The NMFs who turn down T20 schools to accept the UA NMF scholarship share a similar outlook on money, prestige, etc.

1 Like

That makes sense

Yes, that is correct

Yes, that someone did well enough in one standardized test to be in the top 1% (NMSF) but did not feel confident enough in their SAT/ACT scores to submit them. There should be an extremely high correlation between NMSF/NMF and a high SAT/ACT score, probably 1520+ / 34-35

While there is a correlation, I think the range is broader and starts lower. SI cuts for states range from the commended cut off and up. Commended is roughly the top 3-4%. Here is the percentile distribution for SAT.

If a school doesnā€™t consider the test scores in the admission process, there is no reason to send them. Might possibly look badly to some AOā€™s if students were told they arenā€™t considered and they send them anyway. JMO (and if the NMSF is listed as an award/honor, itā€™ll be plenty apparent)

Homeschoolersā€¦ Iā€™m stumped by the first NM OSA question on setting up your profile. Name. LOL. Iā€™m thinking itā€™s ME as the parent??

1 Like

Hi @kbeducator . I was curious on what they send. My daughters schools (LPS) told her they got the letter but they may give it next week since they have testing going on this week.
Also a couple questions

1. Do you go online to do your essay etc?
    What are the next steps
    Thanks in advance

This is currently only the ā€œprincipleā€ portion. Itā€™s what your daughterā€™s school is currently completing - like high school profile. The students will then receive a log-in, which is the letter that your student will receive. I havenā€™t seen the student portion yet.

1 Like

Thank you for the information. Do they send one to student or the school has to provide it to them

1 Like

Our head counselor called each student in and handed them a piece of paper with their unique login information.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info

Not necessarily. These scores are a point in time, one day evaluation. My SI 223 scored a 1460 SAT. Why? Because one of his parents was on hospice battling cancer at the time. There are lots of reasons why the two scores might not line up.

3 Likes

Sure, if a school is test blind there is no point in sending scores. Most schools are test optional so sending scores that are within their 50th CDS percentile is a definite advantage. Amongst the top 100-200 schools I donā€™t know too many schools that are test blind - all the UCā€™s and CSUā€™s, Cornellā€™s school of business and maybe a few others. I also do not know of a single T-200 school where more than 50% of the admitted class did not submit test scores.

1 Like

Certainly, these scores are not prefectly correlated but there is a high correlation. Besides personal circumstances and just having a bad day many people are just not ā€œtest takersā€

1 Like

I donā€™t understand your question. You (or someone) upthread asked about not sending SAT/ACT scores to schools like the CA schools and some of the Cornell schools (that are test blind). So there is no reason to send scores to those schools. Its not a red flag to not send to those schools, since reporting the NMSF tells them what the applicant wants to share. And unless things have changed, in order to qualify for NMF, a student had to have their score ā€œconfirmedā€ (for lack of a better word) , as they had to "take the SATĀ® or ACTĀ® and earn scores that
confirm the PSAT/NMSQT performance that
resulted in Semifinalist standing; ". So a strong SAT or ACT score is de facto assumed for the NMFs.

And there is a way to appeal to NM if there was a reason oneā€™s score was affected on testing day:

" If you felt your test performance was negatively
affected for any reason and you do not want your
2022 PSAT/NMSQT Selection Index score used for
participation in the 2024 National Merit Program,
you must contact NMSC immediately but no later
than November 15, 2022, to submit a formal request.
Requests received after November 15, 2022, will notā€¦"

That was for 2022ā€¦Is this the case for this year as well?

Dunno- thats just what popped up when I did a quick search.

I think the opposite was being discussed. Great PSAT and less great SAT.