Class of 2025 Admissions Decisions

Thanks. I’m so sorry to hear about the missed chance for your student had because of covid. :frowning: I hate it for all of them.

Congrats to the Haslam semi-finalists. It is a big honor. We are localish and I don’t think people realize how competitive things are at the top levels at UTK.

My son didn’t make it. We were hopeful but knew it was a long shot. I’m assuming the competitive scholarships outside of Haslam probably end up going to the semi-finalists that don’t ultimately make it into Haslam. ?? So I’m not hopeful my son will end up with anything extra. He has a couple private scholarships he is still in the running for so maybe he’ll come up with something still.

Your Son can still get it. They probably keep sending the notifications until mid-January.

Please do not apologize. You are absolutely fine. We all have a lot of questions regarding the admissions process and scholarships which remain unanswered until actual enrollment. Yes, this is a full-ride scholarship with many more other benefits. Wish him all the best for the semifinalist interview.

He actually was notified that he did not get it. Which I appreciate rather than just leaving the kids hanging (was the case when an older son applied).

But it is fine. He knew it was super competitive and he is happy to have made it into Chancellor’s Honors. He still gets to attend and he can’t wait.

Congrats and good luck to those who made it!

Congratulations to your son @Mom2sonnc! What is your son’s major?

My DD also received the “you’re not a semi-finalist” email. I hadn’t thought about the other competitive scholarships possibly going to semi-finalists that are not chosen to be finalists :frowning: …was still holding out a little bit (tiny amount) of hope that my OOS girl would get a little additional help with tuition outside of the Volunteer Scholarship. Oh well, she’s super excited to be going to UTK as an Architecture major and is already looking for an extra job or two to cover the extra tuition :orange_heart:

1 Like

He’s an engineering major.

Oh I don’t really know anything about the competitive scholarships and who they actually go to. That is just my pessimistic speculation :wink: I have had two other kids apply to UTK. One was very strong but didn’t get anything beyond Volunteer so I really am pessimistic about the whole thing. But I am excited my son is working and can contribute and will be able to attend.

Good luck! Someone must get those scholarships…might as well be your daughter :slightly_smiling_face:

Does anyone know what UTK is wanting us to do for the Elevator Pitch section of the Volunteer Impact Academy? Is this a writing assignment, or is it a creative project? How long should it be?

An elevator pitch is something that can be communicated during a ride on an elevator with someone important that you want to deliver key points too. Prepared remarks that can be recited when the opportunity arises to talk with someone you wouldn’t regularly get time with. I don’t know specifically what UTK wants to see, but written would be logical.

1 Like

Question regarding deferments: my son was deferred to regular decision and that notification date is 2/15. I noticed on the stories of UTK’s Admission IG that someone was admitted yesterday. My assumption is that maybe this was someone who was deferred, sent 7th semester grades, and was subsequently admitted. Does that sound logical? My son’s semester ends tomorrow, so he’ll be uploading those grades via his SRAR in a week or so. The whole point is perhaps he won’t have to wait until 2/15 if they get what they need to decision him?

My D still hasn’t heard about nursing. Out of curiosity, did your D submit test scores?

Yes she did.

We just got to the campus last night for a tour today. It’s beautiful and we are impressed. My son interviews for Haslam in the next couple of weeks. We hope he shines and moves on but we are OOS and I know the odds are very very slim.
He has been accepted already, he is in the Honors Leadership Program. Major Engineerimg.

We are still waiting to hear back from nursing as well, and my D submitted test scores.

We are heading there next weekend for a tour. Please let me know if you have any must do/see around campus while we are there.

2 Likes

They select OOS students every year. If your son becomes a finalist, he will get Chancellor’s scholarship, and also his OOS fees will be waived. Very good opportunity for him. Wish him all the best for his interview

My son’s portal just changed, it doesn’t say admitted…does this mean anything?

Do you happen to know if UTK stacks their own scholarships? So, for our OOS DS, he received Volunteer scholarship, which brought it down to in-state and Chancellor’s program–also invited to submit for Cook Grand Challenge Honors Program in Engineering…is there $$ associated with Chancellor’s and Cook beyond study abroad? Wondering if there’s any way to get full tuition covered if you stack. Didn’t get a call back for Haslam, but congrats to all you finalists who did!

Every engineering student accepted is invited to the Cook Grand Challenge Honors Program. My understanding of it (and please know I am not an expert) is that there is no scholarship involved, but rather its an honors program that gives select engineering students a more interdisciplinary outlook on their engineering work and provides lots of special opportunities. Again, don’t take this as law, just what I saw when my son got the email invite for it. Best of luck to you!!