Class of 2026 Undergrad/Class of 2024 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

I mean his prescreen was accepted and he has been invited to audition. Required first step for many programs, especially grad schools.

I always find it interesting for which schools the prescreen passage means something. I recall some in undergrad admissions where if you got past the prescreen and an audition was scheduled, your chances of acceptance were high. Others I recall posting in dismay as they attended auditions only to find that scores were auditioning for the 15 or so coveted spots.

1 Like

My son is applying to two schools with prescreens, and it drives me crazy not to have any idea what to expect or what it will mean if he gets to audition in person (and not to be able to make firm travel plans!). He’s waiting on Oberlin right now; I know when we visited 3 years ago they weren’t prescreening for clarinet, but now they are. But I have no idea what to make of that.

2 Likes

Congrats @vistajay to you and your son. Very exciting and very good news.

It’s been a few years for me, but I do remember the graduate process as somewhat different from the undergrad process as follows:

1.) I felt that the needs of the dept for upcoming opera productions played a stonger role in acceptances and money for graduate programs. For UG, they really aren’t considering the candidates for “roles” as that will go to the upperclassmen or grad students. No Freshman or Sophomore is “needed” for a principle role. Of course they need a balance of voices…but the needs for upcoming productions (general known around the time of sending acceptances and offers of money) seem to play more of a role in grad school offers…than sheer talent (as everyone is talented). If they already have a few good males in a particular voice type…then you may be out of luck…or get the dreaded yes…with NO money. And, we figured this out AFTER the fact…so of course there is no way to predict the school and the needs.

2.) There were quite a few of my D’s friends who got a lot of “nos” from pre-screens or all “nos” leaving only their current school as an option (which luckly had a grad program and would take their current students as long as they were working hard). These were students who got all “yeses” for UG. So getting a yes from Northwestern is really good news…and probably indicates more to follow.

3.) And there were quite a few students who got acceptances with no money…this happened at at least one school for my D…can’t remember clearly now. For UG, many D’s offers seemed all strangely similar. For grad school, there were vast differences in the offers. From NO money to some good offers and one very good offer. The best offer turned out to be with a school that needed another performance ready mezzo…and was a smaller program.

4.) And…on a school that I know in the past would audition a LOT of students for one spot was Curtis. Everyone my D knew got an audition offer. They all went together and shared rooms. None of them made it past the first audition. Rumor was that they were looking for one colortura. You have to do 2 nights in a hotel for Curtis so it’s an expensive audition. It felt good to get the audition and then felt “icky” once you were kicked to the curb pretty quickly. Still…you never know…but on hindsight my D has said that she knew she wasn’t in that league…her voice had a lot of growth needed back then.

Sorry not to sugar coat it for you…but I know that you’ve been through this process before!
Good luck. He’ll end up at the right place.

1 Like

Yep He’s applied to Curtis too. Thanks for that info. It will come in handy in managing expectations!

1 Like

BM in Composition/Film Scoring
passed prescreen below:
Berklee- Regular decision-Audition/Interview on 02/11
UT-Austin Regular decision-Audition/Interview on 01/15

6 Likes

D just got in to Brown ED, so she has pulled all the applications from Schools of Music. Wishing you all the best of luck with auditions - I can’t wait to read about all the wonderful places your kids have landed

11 Likes

wow–congratulations to her!

1 Like

Thanks! Good luck to your son - hope all is going well

2 Likes

Congrats! So exciting!

2 Likes

Well done!!

2 Likes

Hi all ~ first time posting, but I’ve followed CC for years, back when my oldest was starting the whole college search process (she’s now a college junior!). I have a double bassist who just heard from Jacobs today that he passed the prescreen, so wanted to share in case that’s helpful to others. The email said to stay tuned for more details, including an audition schedule, and not to make travel plans yet. (This is for undergrad, not grad.)

11 Likes

My son (viola-undergrad) just heard this afternoon from Oberlin-passed the screening!

8 Likes

Same here for voice! yay!

9 Likes

My son passed, too (clarinet)! Phew–thanks for not ruining his Christmas, Oberlin!

9 Likes

Good news as well for daughter at Oberlin, congrats to everyone.

9 Likes

I passes for BM Violin Performance at Oberlin today as well! Congrats everyone!

9 Likes

I also just passed Oberlin and CIM for viola today!

11 Likes

Congrats on both!

3 Likes

OMG, thanks for the posts about Oberlin - prompted us to check our emails - son passed too (double bass)! I like how they email the parent!

10 Likes

CIM and Rice was just released today for me as well as Oberlin. (BM Violin Performance)

10 Likes