Class of 2027 Undergrad/Class of 2025 Grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

I’m so tired, I turned to him and said you can handle all the housing stuff, right? :grin:

Congratulations on making the decision! So exciting! :tada:

1 Like

Congratulations!! I know he will thrive and be very happy there!

1 Like

Wonderful! You can breathe now.

1 Like

DM me- I’m good at this type of thing

1 Like

It’s an exciting and crazy time! Please send me any acceptances, decisions to attend, and/or scholarships if you want them added to the lists. I’m blown away by all the talent here.

My D is seriously considering Bard’s 5-year double-degree program (Conservatory BM + College BA). Because this is required of all UG Conservatory students, the program is completely supported by both the college and conservatory. We also like the bonus of 5 years of private music lessons.

1 Like

Hello everyone, making one last push…
Please share your thoughts about CIM. Good, bad, indifferent and anything in between.
They have made an offer that is almost impossible to turn down… D just wants to be sure. This is VP, they’ve awarded their Presidential Scholarship, which will pay her to attend. There is a school that she loves equally (Oberlin), maybe a smidge more, that has been very generous also. She is a wreck.
Please share your thoughts.

I will take you up on this. My cello performance S accepted his offer at CIM for undergrad study on Friday. He was admitted to some of the same schools as your child: NEC, Eastman, MSM, Peabody, Jacobs. Generous merit $$ at every school (Dean’s Award, Young Artist Award . . .). He liked the smallness of CIM from the start + the singular focus. He worked hard on his teacher list for the past few years - as many of you did - so the teachers were carefully vetted for an optimal connection. He had established close relationships with all of them through this process. And yes, he sent them all notes when he selected his school, thanking them. How could he not? They had all (except one) emailed multiple times this month. I reached out to my professional connections in the field from East to West Coasts and they all said CIM. All of them. Not a single exception. Four are members of orchestras and three are soloists. The connection to the Clev Orch is real. And, their 10-year plan only elevates who they are and where they want to be in the coming years. (Google it if you don’t know about it.) But I have to say that small (and getting smaller - again, that 10-year plan) is real and your D has to be okay about that. You may have met Paul Hogle when you were there because you can’t NOT meet Paul, head of CIM. He, like the rest of CIM, gives off a very familial-vibe. There is no getting lost in the shuffle there. Oberlin, would be more of a traditional “college” feel, for sure. So your D has to think about the differences between a small conservatory in a big, yet protected, city vs a bigger school in a much smaller town. Best of luck. Great options!

4 Likes

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Yes, Paul cannot be missed!

Hello all! Not sure if this thread is the exact fit for us, but my D was Waitlisted at UMich SMTD, for Dance. She is a highly intuitive dancer who has studied at IU Pre-College and at our local dance studio in Ballet and Contemporary. Recently, she was contacted by Admissions asking if she was still interested. Those of you with similar experiences, please tell that this may be good news :flushed:

6 Likes

Congratulations!!! Great news!:tada::tada::tada:

1 Like

It is anecdotal, but see posts 2376 and 2382 above by @sssulliv.
Looks like her daughter had similar contact from a program…
Thinking positive thoughts for you!

2 Likes

This turned out to be good news for my daughter, who was accepted off a wait list Saturday (MM Vocal performance). She is on 2 wait lists - both asked her right away to let them know if she wanted to stay on the list and then the one reached out Saturday am asking if she was still interested as they likely had a spot, and then a few hours later the offer came. Good luck!!

4 Likes

Great news! Well, we shall keep our fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

My son made it official last night and accepted the offer at Northwestern. We are over the moon. Been a hell of a journey, and in some ways, is just beginning.

I appreciate all the information and support this forum brings. It’s a great resource.

6 Likes

Congrats! :tada:

2 Likes

Quick question whilst the final decisions are made :slight_smile: Trial lessons pre application - some teachers that DD24 is interested in working with are faculty members of more than one college/conservatoire on her list. Seems odd to approach the same person three times but not sure how she will get a sense of the specific approach at each institution if not?

A lesson with a specific teacher will be essentially the same no matter the school or program. So if a teacher teaches at multiple places, pick one site at which to schedule a sample lesson. Can be the site your student is most interested in, or the site where it is easiest to schedule a lesson.

2 Likes

Thanks - so trial lessons really are more about the teacher than the teacher plus where they teach; makes sense :slight_smile: